Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #1

Soligor Teleconverter won't mount to camera

Hello everyone,

I just received my Soligor C/D 7 2x Teleconverter, in used but excellent condition, from ebay.

It is easily connected to various lenses (currently Tamron 28-300) but when I try to attach it to my camera (I tried Pentax K-r and K 3) it just won't connect in the correct way. I suppose it should be attached just like a normal lens, but when I put the red dots into place and try to twist is, it blocks. I can turn it maybe 1 or 2 mm, but that's it, it just doesn't move any further.

I added some photos of the TC. Is there an issue with the little pin? Is it supposed to be slightly bent to the outside like this? Or is there some compatibility issue because it's an old TC that doesn't support AF and aperture control...don't know the right word for this.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Attached Images

01-03-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the aperture lever looks bent at an odd angle ...
01-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, aperture lever looks quite bent. Should be straight. (Careful unbending it as if you just grab and bend sometimes it just moves the bend farther down.)
01-03-2023, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that aperture lever is bent. The lever must engage correctly with the mechanism in the camera, and ther isn't really any leeway. Indeed, attempting to use a lens/tc with a bent out of true lever could easily damage your camera!

Personally I would junk that soligor. If you shop around you can pick up a 2x AF tc relatively cheaply. In any case, 2x tc's really dont work very well with the sort of zoom lens you have it on - too slow F6.3 at 300mm means that + tc will be approx f14!

01-03-2023, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heidikowski Quote
in used but excellent condition
Not so excellent as you state. Return it as soon as you can. MarcusBMG is right, junk it!
01-03-2023, 04:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

So I tried bending it, it looks perfectly straight to me now, but still the same issue, it just won't turn.

Is it possible that the lever is too long overall? I noticed tiny scratches on the inside of my camera (it's a pretty old one) where the lever might have touched the material. But that would mean it's not compatible, right? Anyway, the levers on my lenses are a little shorter. Also, they are easily movable and snap back into place, like they are connected to a spring. The TC's lever moves freely without any resistance.

The reason I got this one is that I was looking for something cheap to see if I like the concept of a TC in general. I might invest in something serious if I like this one. Well, if it's going to work at some point.
01-03-2023, 08:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible that the lever is too long overall? I noticed tiny scratches on the inside of my camera (it's a pretty old one) where the lever might have touched the material. But that would mean it's not compatible, right? Anyway, the levers on my lenses are a little shorter. Also, they are easily movable and snap back into place, like they are connected to a spring. The TC's lever moves freely without any resistance.
The tc levers (like extension tubes) are sometimes not in springs and rely on the mounted lens spring.

If you wanted you could trim the lever. Just be careful to fully clean and remove any debris before using it on a camera.

01-04-2023, 03:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I tried bending it, it looks perfectly straight to me now, but still the same issue, it just won't turn.Is it possible that the lever is too long overall? I noticed tiny scratches on the inside of my camera (it's a pretty old one) where the lever might have touched the material. But that would mean it's not compatible, right? Anyway, the levers on my lenses are a little shorter. Also, they are easily movable and snap back into place, like they are connected to a spring. The TC's lever moves freely without any resistance.
The levers are usually made of spring steel and don't bend easily. But the metal might be a bit softer on this tc. It is normal for it to be unsprung on a tc - it's just a "through" connector, joining the lever on the lens to the mechanism in the camera.
if you look inside your camera you can see the small square latch on a sliding rod that the lever enagages with. If the lever was too long, the tc wouldn't mount because the end of the lever would bump against the internal structure of the camera. So this is a bit of a mystery. I am not seeing anything else on your pics that might be an issue, but look closely for dents/burrs/slight distortions/marks that might indicate spots where the bayonet is catching or rubbing...
Also make a close comparison with the mount on another vintage lens with a metal mount.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 01-04-2023 at 06:27 AM.
01-04-2023, 04:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

“used but excellent” vs. “bent” aperture lever. Item on eBay not as described, return to sender.
If you bent it, try fixing. You probably did not pay much for the piece.
01-04-2023, 07:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
If the lever was too long, the tc wouldn't mount because the end of the lever would bump against the internal structure of the camera. So this is a bit of a mystery. I am not seeing anything else on your pics that might be an issue, but look closely for dents/burrs/slight distortions/marks that might indicate spots where the bayonet is catching or rubbing...
Also make a close comparison with the mount on another vintage lens with a metal mount.
Marcus, that's exactly what I am thinking. The lever blocks the twisting movement because it hits the nternal structure. I'll try to cut it a little, to the lenght of the lenses' levers. The bayonet looks good to me.

Unfortunately, I had it shipped from France, so the shipping cost was about the same amount as the price (15-16 EUR both). Sending it back won't be worth it, I'll end up with the same cost and no item. Still, I contacted the seller on ebay. I'll se what they suggest.

Thank again for all the amazing feedback!
01-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Marcus, that's exactly what I am thinking. The lever blocks the twisting movement because it hits the nternal structure. I'll try to cut it a little, to the lenght of the lenses' levers. The bayonet looks good to me.

Unfortunately, I had it shipped from France, so the shipping cost was about the same amount as the price (15-16 EUR both). Sending it back won't be worth it, I'll end up with the same cost and no item. Still, I contacted the seller on ebay. I'll se what they suggest.

Thank again for all the amazing feedback!
To shorten you have several options. One is to use a hacksaw. Another is a pair of metal cutting sheers. If you hacksaw it I would mask the entire thing in tape and work away from your gear - maybe outside - then wipe off the outside of the tape before removing.
01-04-2023, 10:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest a modellers drill (dremel) would be good for this, use a diamond disk to shave the lever down the mm or three required. Otherwise a metal file and do it by hand.
01-04-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I suggest a modellers drill (dremel) would be good for this, use a diamond disk to shave the lever down the mm or three required. Otherwise a metal file and do it by hand.
This makes sense. Use the tape as mentioned with the hacksaw method.
01-04-2023, 11:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

First just see if you can remove the screws and take the mount off and just pull it out -- lots of times it is an easily reversible thing.