Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2023, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strugling with wb in underwater shots

Well this was my first time shooting underwater and I should have looked ahead a bit more I suppose. I didn't expect the red channel to disappear like that! And I used a Ricoh WG-70 belonging to my daughter so I was not familiar with the settings and saw afterward that there is a underwater wb after all (I guess it figures for such a camera). To add to the difficulty I use PSE 2020, not the full PS, and the Ricoh only shoots jpg. In the first image, the histogram still shows a weak, bell shaped signal in the red channel so I managed to do something with "Levels". But on the second image the histogram shows the red channel as a thin line on the 0 mark, so nothing at all to work with in Levels.

I managed to "recreate" a red signal by applying a deep red photo filter (Layer --> New Adjustment Layer --> Photo Filter). It's quick but not looking so good. So:

1- Does anybody know a way to improve my images

2- Next time I go, will in camera underwater wb will help if there is no red at all?

01-09-2023, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello there. I can't comment on the UW white balance, but it will likely try and do what you have done here. At the end of the day, red wavelengths are very quickly filtered out as you descend through the water.
Off-camera flash and raw work the best, but you are absolutely on the right track with correcting the white balance first (the white or black on the fins will likely work well), then adding a red layer as an overlay, and blending down as 50% grey, then tweaking.

Another more recent method is here.
One tutorial here.

It'd been quite some time since I have done the blend technique, but it can have good results (4mp camera, JPG inside a cheap plastic housing).

Hiwihiwi
by Aaron, on Flickr

French grunt and snapper
by Aaron, on Flickr

Hopefully this is helpful.
01-09-2023, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I can't this is any better. But if you have some white or black in the scene you and use that to help do a custom WB. I used the first image with the heavy color cast and assumed the swimmer has black hair and trunks. I first used the white balance selector on the black hair to get thinks in the ball park.

Then, while looking at the RGB values in the trunks, hair and snorkel tip, I used the curves adjustment tool to individually tweak the red, green and blue channels trying to bring R=G=B to a close match.
Attached Images

01-09-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water absorbs red light wavelengths and reflects blue light wavelengths. That's why the sky appears blue. 75% of the earth's surface is water and absorbs red light. Then reflects blue light back into the atmosphere where it is reflected off water molecules (and other particles) in the atmosphere back to the earth. Hence the sky is blue.

As far as your issue, it is definitely a WB issue. Since shooting raw with the WG-70 is not possible, post processing correction is very difficult. Not impossible, but difficult. With the camera having an underwater WB option, I assume Rioch has corrected for this. One might also try a shade or overcast WB or even a fluorescent light WB.

01-09-2023, 10:37 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
reflects blue light wavelengths. That's why the sky appears blue
No, No, No, No, a thousand times NO! How would the sky in Kansas (1000 miles from any real water body) be blue?

The sky is blue because the blue light is scattered more than the red light, mostly by the atoms and molecules in the atmosphere (Rayleigh scattering), in all directions, inlcuding towards us.

Also explains why the setting sun gets redder and redder - nearly ALL the blue light coming directly towards us, through a lot of air as the sun gets lower and lower, is scattered out of our line of sight, leaving only red light.

PLEASE, get your science straight!
01-10-2023, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silkypix developer Studio Pro has dedicated underwater adjustments. Perhaps you can use the trial version. I believe that it is the same engine which the WG cameras use in their underwater setting.

https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/

(There is also an iPhone app in case you use one.)
Attached Images

Last edited by sbh; 01-10-2023 at 04:00 AM.
01-10-2023, 05:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I have never tried myself to correct underwater shots, you might try setting white balance using your photo editor and selecting off the white flash on the swim fins, or from the black of the mask or swim trunks.

Once this is done, record the adjustment settings and then use this in the rest of the shots.

Not sure what your photo editor has for tools, but Corel PSP which I use has the tool I described in the white balance adjust menu

Edit note. I missed @tuco’s response.

01-10-2023, 07:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You might be able to fit a filter to help with colour balance, see M A G I C - F I L T E R S for info.
01-10-2023, 07:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for underwater pictures as well. I recommend it too.
01-10-2023, 09:31 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that RawTherapee has settings for underwater white balance. I've never used them as I don't have the stuff for underwater shooting so I don't know how well it work. However with the current version of RawTherapee the automatic white balance using the RGBGray (I think that is what it is called) seems to work really well. So there is something else you can play with.
01-10-2023, 04:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Off-camera flash and raw work the best,
I didn't think of the internal flash, just might have made the closeups a lot better, thanks for the tip and nice pictures btw, the kind I wish I took!

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
But if you have some white or black in the scene you and use that to help do a custom WB
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
One might also try a shade or overcast WB or even a fluorescent light WB.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
setting white balance using your photo editor and selecting off the white flash on the swim fins, or from the black of the mask or swim trunks
Thanks for your help guys but it's the first thing that I tried and saw I was in trouble because in the case of the second picture all those tools are going haywire over the empty red channel. A pipette wb on the white of the fins makes the pixels go from 0, 225, 250 to 0, 255, 255 making things worse. Setting a gray (or black or white) point in levels is better but not as much as the red filter adjustment layer.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Silkypix developer Studio Pro has dedicated underwater adjustments. Perhaps you can use the trial version
QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
I have used Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for underwater pictures as well. I recommend it too.
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I know that RawTherapee has settings for underwater white balance.
That is interesting cause I think I still have a Sylkypix cd from the time I bought my K-50 and raw therapee is free. Thanks I'll give that a try when I have the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
You might be able to fit a filter to help with colour balance, see M A G I C - F I L T E R S for info.
Oh indeed that is an interesting idea, tackling the issue even before the light hits the sensor. Next time I going in the caribbeans I'll have something like that. Thanks for the info.