Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2023, 12:36 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 56: Cosplayers

Good morning, all. I told my accountant brother-in-law that all his work colleagues seemed dull.

He said that actuaries were even more boring. For birth control, they use their personalities.

On that subject, I made my wife shout 'Yes!' in bed last night.

That's because I asked her what her favourite 70s rock band was.

This week, I'd like to talk about the cosplay subculture.

I tend to approach several kinds of photography as if they were really portraits. That's certainly true of my wildlife and sports pictures, the tactics are much the same, and I do treat cosplay as fashion photography, where the outfit and props are as important to the viewer as the person with them. I took the picture below IIRC at f9, 1/100s, ISO 100 with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, K-1 and two Elinchrome strobes.

An advantage with cosplayers is that they are passionate about their hobby, so if you know some, it can be easy to arrange a shot with them that they can put on their Insta or whatever, and they are actually keen to get photos that aren't just phone selfies, so we have willing subjects.

You might think a convention then is ripe for us photographers, but they are busy affairs with their own dynamics.

The venue is bound to be crowded and unphotogenic, with cosplayers suffering from fatigue with everyone wanting to take pictures of them. Like taking street portraits, you have to act fast in identifying a suitable subject and securing permission to shoot, which I suggest should be a rapid two step process.

1. Catch their eye, and give specific praise that is not just flattery, it's true. Authenticity from you is the opening move.

2. Get their permission.

Example: "I love those details ... can I take your picture?"

If refused, smile, nod in acknowledgement (I do a thumb up as well if I detect frustration) and thank them anyway. Yes, for putting up with being asked!

To get acceptances, it's necessary to not take rejections personally. Move on, and be as positive and upbeat as before the rejection.

When they are already posing, don't be content just to lean over someone else's shoulder and take shots, shots where the eye contact is with you are the keepers. Get into their field of view, smile, and hold your camera up by the side of your head ... you may not need to say a word.

To finish with, there's the story of the two elderly vultures who doubted they could still make the annual migration south, so they decided to go by airplane.

When they checked their baggage, the attendant noticed that they were carrying two dead raccoons.

"Do you wish to check the raccoons through as luggage?" she asked.

"No, thanks," replied the vultures. "They're carrion."

01-13-2023, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't say I've ever had a cosplayer NOT willing to have a picture taken.

Great tips though, and the image is really electrifying,

Since I don't live in a big city, it's always a treat to be in a city during a cosplay event. As always, know your gear so no time is wasted. Most cosplayers are very willing to have their pictures taken, so if one is nervous about taking pictures of people, this is one place where one need not be. Cosplayers are usually willing to have multiple pictures taken while the photographers tries a few settings and poses out, but it's a good idea to use a slightly narrower aperture than one would use for slower portraiture, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough, especially since you will often have other photographers taking images at the same time.
Most of my cosplay photo have been opportunity shots on the sidewalk outside the venue. It's a challenge to compose a good image and dodge passersby, but it can result in a good image.