Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2023, 12:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 40 Ltd won't engage the screw drive suddenly

Mounted on a KP my 40 Ltd suddenly quit focussing. 70mm engages fine. Not dropped...happened between 2 shots. It also seems tighter when mounting/dismounting. (Have checked all settings Did notice it didn't want to report its FL until jiggled. 70mm reports fine.)

Any ideas?

01-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
is the focus jammed? can you rotate the focus ring without issue? what happens if you take a mini screwdriver and turn the slot manually?
01-18-2023, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on lens and camera? If may not focus if it isn't detected correctly by the camera.

Last edited by Fogel70; 01-18-2023 at 02:52 PM.
01-18-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's difficult to mount and remove from the camera, the first thing I'd check is the rear mount. Is it loose? Check the screws to see if the AF slot isn't engaging.

01-19-2023, 07:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
H'mmm...thanks everyone. The more I fiddle, the more it seems that something inside is loose. That is, sometimes moving the foccus ring catches on something inside, other times it seems not to engage at all. And it wiggles. The lens mount itself seems solid, though.

May have to see if I can get it serviced. I really like this lens for a couple of purposes...especially the way it renders golden hour and mixed woodland and water lighting.

01-19-2023, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have his lens, and also the KP and the K-1 II. While very good on the KP, it is also a very good, versatile semi-wide normal walk-around prime lens on my K-1 II. I like either it, or my HD FA 43mm Ltd for this purpose. Depends on how much I want in the frame, the apertures I might need, and the perspective I want. For this purpose, I like both of these lenses better, finding them to be more versatile, than a 50mm as a normal lens.

Good luck getting it repaired. From what you describe that you have found, it would not seem likely to be a complicated issue.

Very nice photos!
02-01-2023, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well there's still one old gentleman doing repairs here in town. Went to his shop and there were all sorts of film and even old Polaroid bodies and lenses laying around. Lot of Vivatar lenses (none in K-mount). An enlarger lens and bellows graced another shelf. He had all sorts of good things to say about Pentax and Ltd's in particular and said he could likely fix it but if not there would be no charge.

02-01-2023, 11:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From our Pentax Lens Disassembly Database:
https://imgsrc.ru/main/tape.php?ad=834217&pwd=
02-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Well there's still one old gentleman doing repairs here in town. Went to his shop and there were all sorts of film and even old Polaroid bodies and lenses laying around. Lot of Vivatar lenses (none in K-mount). An enlarger lens and bellows graced another shelf. He had all sorts of good things to say about Pentax and Ltd's in particular and said he could likely fix it but if not there would be no charge.
How fortunately for you to have his expertise in your area, and a good, old-fashioned true customer-friendly businessman!