Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2023, 07:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

problem using Panagor extension tubes on my K-1

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a question about using my Panagor Extension tubes . I want to use my old Takumar 135 mm 2.5 lens with the tubes. I know the trick about stopping down for metering by using the green button. It works well with only my camera and the lens dicrectly . But when I use the Panagor extension tube (s). The the lens is not stopped down , although the Panagor tubes have a working diaphragm handle. When I only put the lens on the extension tubes and try to move the diafragam handle , then the lens stops down well. But when I do this with the tubes on the camera, then I only can take photos on full lens opening. What is happening here, or what am I doing wrong ? Please help !!

01-19-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krgroothuis Quote
I have a question about using my Panagor Extension tubes . I want to use my old Takumar 135 mm 2.5 lens with the tubes. I know the trick about stopping down for metering by using the green button. It works well with only my camera and the lens dicrectly . But when I use the Panagor extension tube (s). The the lens is not stopped down , although the Panagor tubes have a working diaphragm handle. When I only put the lens on the extension tubes and try to move the diafragam handle , then the lens stops down well. But when I do this with the tubes on the camera, then I only can take photos on full lens opening. What is happening here, or what am I doing wrong ? Please help !!
Maybe your extension tubes have a black anodized rear in stead of a blank metal rear. If that is the case, the camera does not detect the lens.
01-19-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i couldn't get my green button to do anything, but aperture preview works (past the on part of the on/off switch). maybe by default the green button is assigned to different things for different camera modes... or maybe use aperture ring has to be unchecked to use green button. i've used it in the distant past, i'm sure someone will know the answer.
01-19-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You seem to state always ”tubes”, I guess you try to use the full set of three? Have you tried a single tube + lens? Maybe the full combo of three is bit heavy for the camera, might depend on the wear of the tubes or lens...? Do you need (much) more force on the tubes+lens lever than the lens alone?
Maybe one tube is less swift than the others? Test first all single tubes, then per 2, etc...
You could also try different sequence of tubes, in theory should not matter, but if there is some wear on aperture levers..., I would put worst close to lens as this one gets loaded less heavy.
Try another lens (newer,lighter?)...
Do the tubes lock well on camera? (Fully rotated? Otherwise lever is not actuated well)
Try tube(s) on camera (without lens) and check lever movement . Maybe the lever facing camera is bent inwards or so and missed by camera one, compare levers visually between lens and tubes for identical shape/position.

01-19-2023, 12:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera is moving the lever correctly with only the lens attached. Even using the smallest tube with the lens and camera and it does not move the lever. Strange. I think it has nothing to do with the contacts. The Old lens has also no contacts. And that works oke on te camera alone.

---------- Post added 01-19-2023 at 09:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
Maybe your extension tubes have a black anodized rear in stead of a blank metal rear. If that is the case, the camera does not detect the lens.
. I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. Hoe did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera body s did not have those contacts I presume?

---------- Post added 01-19-2023 at 09:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
. I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. Hoe did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera body s did not have those contacts I presume? Thanks for your answer.
01-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera is moving the lever correctly with only the lens attached. Even using the smallest tube with the lens and camera and it does not move the lever. Strange. I think it has nothing to do with the contacts. The Old lens has also no contacts. And that works oke on te camera alone.

. I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. Hoe did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera body s did not have those contacts I presume?

. I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. Hoe did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera body s did not have those contacts I presume? Thanks for your answer.
It are only the new camera’s that have contacts and need to find out if an old lens is attached, and old pentax lenses had a blank metal ring, hence the test for shorting the contacts...., on older manual cameras it didn’t matter, they just expected an old lens without contacts. 3pty lenses with other finish like black coatings had no impact on older bodies , but new bodies get confused.
01-19-2023, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/COLOR]. I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. Hoe did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera body s did not have those contacts I presume? Thanks for your answer.
At some point, I think with the K series DSLRS, (*istD series worked just fine) there was some concern about knowing if a lens was attached or not (don’t know why) and operation of the aperture lever. Perhaps an issue with sensor cleaning or something like that.

Any way the way to resolve this is by taking the paint / anodizing off a section of the lens mount by the aperture pins.

None of my film cameras including the rather sophisticated PZ-1 cared about whether the pins were shorted or not

01-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glad to be of help!
01-19-2023, 06:04 PM   #9

I looked these tubes up on eBay. Looks like the rear mount is anodized black. You probably need to scrape off some the coating over the contacts on the camera lens mount to get the green button to work. You can test this by carefully hold a small piece of metal foil over the contacts as you mount the tubes.
01-20-2023, 07:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

see

Jessops Auto Extension Tubes PK-A reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-20-2023, 10:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tested and looked at the 2 ring. The previous owner made the tube a bit blank. But as I moved the tube a bit, it suddenly worked !! So my first action next week is to blank al 3 tubes thoroughly. Thanks for the hint. I did not realize that the shortening of the pins is necessary for getting good results. How did it work in the old analog time? The Old camera bodys did not have those contacts I presume? Thanks for your answer.
You can read all about this here:
The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

It is the" 7.th contact" which makes the problem: "Digital Information Contact"
02-01-2023, 05:32 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have a working extension tubes set now. I scraped off more black paint and it is working now. But another question rises up. I would like to use my modern DFA 28-105 mm lens with the tubes and my K-1. How do I get a setup with the aperture on other valua than wide open. It s a problem because there is no aperture ring on the modern lenses. And I want to be free to set the aperture on f11 or so. How do I fix this ????
02-01-2023, 05:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a working extension tubes set now. I scraped off more black paint and it is working now. But another question rises up. I would like to use my modern DFA 28-105 mm lens with the tubes and my K-1. How do I get a setup with the aperture on other valua than wide open. It s a problem because there is no aperture ring on the modern lenses. And I want to be free to set the aperture on f11 or so. How do I fix this ????
You can't use lenses without an aperture ring there.
The data will not be transfered.

Read here:
PENTAX Auto Extension Tube Set K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

You would need something like this:
Kenko Pz-AF UNIPLUS TUBE 25 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There are some modern China-made extensions rings:
https://www.amazon.de/Makro-Zwischenringsatz-Pentax-K100D-K200D/dp/B005NNYG5O?language=en_GB
cheap, but I can't comment. Some French users complained strongly.

Last edited by photogem; 02-01-2023 at 06:37 AM.
02-01-2023, 07:01 AM   #14
Pentaxian

To quote from their site :

'(this power supply comes with a warranty covering listings for Timetr ENDS24)
3 Spacer Ring Set with Pentax K connection
Allows you to affordable introduction to the world of macro photography. The set consists of 3 intermediate rings with 7 mm/14 mm/28 mm
Important: the aperture have to be manually adjusted. All camera automatic with auto focus No.
Can be combined for various imaging scales.'

My emphasis. Looks as if these too can only be used with lenses having an aperture ring, unfortunately.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 02-01-2023 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Edited
02-01-2023, 10:56 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
But the lenses without aperture ring still have a plunge(?) that moves the aperture in the lens. And also on the tubes there is that thing. So why is the whole mechanism working with older lenses but is the aperture not moved when taking photos with the newer lenses. I still don t get it where the cause of this is.