Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #1

Flashing F-- on Pentax K1 Mk II

Hello everyone. I just got a Pentax K1 Mk II from Ebay. It came with an older M lens(screw-mount). I tested the camera earlier today as it came and everything was perfectly fine.

Later, I removed the screw-mount adapter (genuine) without any problems and proceeded to put on a K-mount lens (SMC FA 50mm f1.4) which I know to be working because I always use it.

I noticed the camera wasn't auto-focusing (just kind of gave a shaking sound) and displayed the flashing "F--" error. From what I read, it could be dirty lens contact, faulty lens or faulty camera body.

I cleaned the contacts in body with cleaning kit, removed battery, reset the camera settings, updated the firmware, but still get the same error.

If I try any other K mount lens (manual or automatic lenses), I get the same result. But if I use them in manual mode, taking them out of "A" aperture mode, they work fine as manual lenses.

Any ideas on what to do to be able to auto focus? Or maybe the camera body is just faulty?

01-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Move the aperture ring on the lens to "A". Cleaning the lens contacts (camera and lens both) should help as well. Do other autofocus lenses work ok?

Last edited by paulh; 01-20-2023 at 05:35 PM.
01-20-2023, 06:09 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axj007 Quote
Hello everyone. I just got a Pentax K1 Mk II from Ebay. It came with an older M lens(screw-mount). I tested the camera earlier today as it came and everything was perfectly fine.

Later, I removed the screw-mount adapter (genuine) without any problems and proceeded to put on a K-mount lens (SMC FA 50mm f1.4) which I know to be working because I always use it.

I noticed the camera wasn't auto-focusing (just kind of gave a shaking sound) and displayed the flashing "F--" error. From what I read, it could be dirty lens contact, faulty lens or faulty camera body.

I cleaned the contacts in body with cleaning kit, removed battery, reset the camera settings, updated the firmware, but still get the same error.

If I try any other K mount lens (manual or automatic lenses), I get the same result. But if I use them in manual mode, taking them out of "A" aperture mode, they work fine as manual lenses.

Any ideas on what to do to be able to auto focus? Or maybe the camera body is just faulty?
What do you use the FA 50 on? And does it autofocus and work in aperture priority mode controlled by the body?
01-20-2023, 06:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What do you use the FA 50 on? And does it autofocus and work in aperture priority mode controlled by the body?
I tried every setting I could think of. I normally shoot in M mode, but tried everything, including everything in AUTO. The camera has the "F-- " showing up in every mode, including aperture priority. When trying to auto focus, the lens vibrates loud and doesn't focus at all

---------- Post added 01-20-23 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Move the aperture ring on the lens to "A". Cleaning the lens contacts (camera and lens both) should help as well. Do other autofocus lenses work ok?

It is on "A". I cleaned the contacts on both the camera and lens. This is happening with every auto-focus lens I own. But they all work perfectly fine on my K5 IIs.

01-20-2023, 06:33 PM   #5

There could be a fault in the camera. That may be why it was sold with a screw mount / manual focus lens.

Check to see if the screws are tight on the lens mount on the camera body.

Also it is possible the mount was removed for some reason. Under the mount there is a thin sheet metal conductor ring attached to a ground/earth wire. This wire can easily come off the ring and may not have been reattached during re-assembly. If the lens mount is not connected to ground then the electrical contacts won't work.

It may be a simple fix or not. It might be easier to return the camera for your money back.
01-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried a reset of the camera? (Spanner menu 4)
01-20-2023, 07:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Have you tried a reset of the camera? (Spanner menu 4)
Yes, but didn't do the trick

01-20-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And, no luck when set to "Green mode"?
If so, then I think it may be time to contact the seller.
01-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you got a camera with broken autofocus. Return it.
01-20-2023, 09:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input. I started the return process. Upon further review, I noticed the lens mount in the body was a bit loose/out of true. I had tried every possible setting I could think of but didn't get anywhere. Such a shame...but it's always a gamble with eBay. Oh well! The hunt for a K1 shall continue!
01-20-2023, 10:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Depending in which country you live, the price of a used one in really good condition and moderate use might still be rather costly. But here in the US, there are now some excellent price offers by high-volume, reputable dealerships for a new K-1 II. In view of these reductions, getting a used one would need to be at a very reasonable cost.
01-21-2023, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Depending in which country you live, the price of a used one in really good condition and moderate use might still be rather costly. But here in the US, there are now some excellent price offers by high-volume, reputable dealerships for a new K-1 II. In view of these reductions, getting a used one would need to be at a very reasonable cost.

I got this one for $875. Came with 2 SD cards, a battery grip, a lens and 2 batteries. But I guess it was too good to be true. Thought I have seen some deals below $900 for a K1 mk II. (Though for body only). Thought I'd get lucky on this one, but it wasn't meant to be. I'll keep looking out for a good deal. Meanwhile, I have my awesome K5 IIs to keep me company
01-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my awesome K5 IIs to keep me company
I still have mine, despite also having the wonderful KP and the wonderful K-1 II. And yes, I still sometimes use it and with fine results. One of the best Pentax APS-C models, I believe. I also have the battery grip. I especially value its capabilities with some old FA power zoom lenses I bought when still shooting 35mm film.

I got my K-1 II with the deal including the DFA 28-105mm DC WR lens, so for one thing of importance, I would have a FF WR system. The other thing is, what a great deal for a really outstanding all-around zoom lens! I got mine from B&H, where I have done business for many years. I didn't take the battery grip deal, as this camera is plenty large enough for most any larger lens I'd be using with it. I prefer to relegate longer tele to APS-C which for me is more advantageous.
12-05-2023, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #14

A setting

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Just bought a second hand Pentax D FA 50mm F/2.8 Macro, I nearly broke my brain trying to figure this out, i thought it was faulty.
Turned out, just need to move it to "A" setting.

Thank you mate