Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-25-2023, 04:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
This lens ... as others have remarked... has the pretty slow SDM-motor. It is really slow.
I have converted mine to screw-drive.... louder but much faster.

So the SDM Motor is most likely the culprit.

Best example to compare: DA*55/1,4 SDM = Super slow AF (and often it fails, but cannot be converted)
FA50/1,4 is screwdrive and very fast (but loud)
My 50-135/2.8 is also faster since conversion to screw drive.

01-25-2023, 06:45 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
I know that people complain about the AF-performance of the "old" SDM zoom lenses like the 50-135 and the 60-250, which I have used extensively for sports photography.
Yes, they are not brilliant but you should be able to get much better results.
In your example I am pretty sure that the selected AF point was not at the dog's head.

As other's have asked already, which AF-mode and AF-points did you select?

I have posted these before, but below is an example of 2 consecutive shots of a very quick athlete jumping ( ... I don't know how fast your dog was running )

These were shot with the first generation K3 and the "slow" DA*4/60-250

Beautiful photos, but these can also be made without autofocus. But follow-up photos are, I think, a series, which would mean that the run-up jump should also be included or some triple jumps.
And that is a lot more difficult.
In addition, a dog is smaller and therefore even more difficult to follow.

Greetings Hans
01-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hanz Quote
Beautiful photos, but these can also be made without autofocus. But follow-up photos are, I think, a series, which would mean that the run-up jump should also be included or some triple jumps.
And that is a lot more difficult.
In addition, a dog is smaller and therefore even more difficult to follow.

Greetings Hans
Off course these can be done with manual focus ...like any other photo as well.
AF is a convenience, not a necessity (40 years ago sports photography with manual focus lenses was my main income to finance my University studies).

I know what I can do with my equipment and have no interest in testing lenses or cameras. So I don't shot people running before the jump or long sequences. And off course these could also be done with MF.

You are right, the dog is smaller and more challenging. That's why I wrote that most likely the AF point was not on the dog.

My point was to show that also with a "slow" lens it is possible to get in-focus shots in a scenario like shown by the OP. It is, however, a matter of practise and understanding the equipment. Sports photography is something I still enjoy a lot. Some quite fast moving sports (long-jump, Rugby, American Footbal, in-line scating, bicycle races, Motoball - that is like soccer on Motorbikes). My guess is that at least 80% of the shots with the DA*4/60-250 are acceptably in-focus. Off course many end in the bin because of poor compositions or other issues.