Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2023, 12:12 AM   #1

Pentax SF10 Flash not working

hi all! i have a pentax sf10 camera that had been working perfectly until one day the built in flash stopped working. I thought the batteries might need replacing but i replaced the batteries and faced the same issue.

My settings have been on AF and Auto focus, and the flash had worked fine before but now it doesn’t go off. The window screen still indicates that the flash is on. The one odd thing is that while everything else seems to indicate the flash should go off, my camera reverts to slow shutter mode when it’s dark.

any ideas on what may be causing this?

01-28-2023, 12:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just taking a shot in the dark here but it could be the capacitor for the flash has gone bad. Sadly it would cost a lot to get it repaired.
01-29-2023, 04:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you open flash, sometimes you ’hear’ it charging...? Flash ready indication?

The long shutter seems to indicate that camera avoids flash for a reason.., so I guess you might have changed something unintentionally:
- The sf10 limits flash to 35 to 210mm lenses only...? Outside this range no flash! Only F lenses or later versions.
- You should be in program mode ...
- Lens set on A position (aperture ring on lens?), else might disable program mode?
- flash ready signal, if not coming after 5 sec after flash pop-up, the flash charge capacitor might be deflect,...(external flash will still work, if you have one...)

If you need the SF10 manual to check interpretation of flash indicators or other settings, butkus.org has it....
Note there are flash advised (no firing, action needed), flash ready (will fire) etc signals, not all flash signs on display/viewfinder mean that the flash will be used, sometimes color or blinking gives different interpretations.
01-29-2023, 08:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
If you open flash, sometimes you ’hear’ it charging...? Flash ready indication?

The long shutter seems to indicate that camera avoids flash for a reason.., so I guess you might have changed something unintentionally:
- The sf10 limits flash to 35 to 210mm lenses only...? Outside this range no flash! Only F lenses or later versions.
- You should be in program mode ...
- Lens set on A position (aperture ring on lens?), else might disable program mode?
- flash ready signal, if not coming after 5 sec after flash pop-up, the flash charge capacitor might be deflect,...(external flash will still work, if you have one...)

If you need the SF10 manual to check interpretation of flash indicators or other settings, butkus.org has it....
Note there are flash advised (no firing, action needed), flash ready (will fire) etc signals, not all flash signs on display/viewfinder mean that the flash will be used, sometimes color or blinking gives different interpretations.
no i don’t hear any charging sound :/

the settings are on prog and the lens is set to A. The SF10 doesn’t seem to have a place i can attach an external flash to unfortunately, is that what you would expect?

01-30-2023, 12:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nidaj Quote
no i don’t hear any charging sound :/

the settings are on prog and the lens is set to A. The SF10 doesn’t seem to have a place i can attach an external flash to unfortunately, is that what you would expect?
I had a SFX , there was on right hand side a flash socket , covered by a plastic cover .... (shift, slide backwards, if i remember well). if Iooking at pictures of SF10 on forum it seems identical under the word SF10 ?

01-30-2023, 11:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I had a SFX , there was on right hand side a flash socket , covered by a plastic cover .... (shift, slide backwards, if i remember well). if Iooking at pictures of SF10 on forum it seems identical under the word SF10 ?
found it - thanks so much !

guess i’ll have to go the external flash route