Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #1

Bottom ~1/6 of K-S2 LCD dies when cold - broken display, or non issue?

It's a rare issue, but the last few times I've done astrophotography I've noticed a row along the bottom of my display that's just completely blank. I'm not sure if it's damage, or just the cold from leaving my camera out for a couple hours in Canadian winter, but it goes away the next morning after the camera's warmed up. Talking with a local camera repair to deal with aperture block failure, I mentioned this issue and they sent me a link to order a replacement display, and I just want to get some more opinions if that'd be overkill, or if the issue if likely to start getting worse.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781W  Photo 
01-31-2023, 01:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Probably just the cold, if it only happens in those conditions.

What was the temperature?
01-31-2023, 08:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Probably just the cold, if it only happens in those conditions.

What was the temperature?
I don't remember exactly, but the most recent time was around -10c
01-31-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am out in colder for 2-3 hours and haven't noticed that. I will look today while out as it is about -17c. I do notice my lens starts to lose control and I need to wiggle it now and then to get the contacts to work.

01-31-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MDRatliffe Quote
It's a rare issue, but the last few times I've done astrophotography I've noticed a row along the bottom of my display that's just completely blank. I'm not sure if it's damage, or just the cold from leaving my camera out for a couple hours in Canadian winter, but it goes away the next morning after the camera's warmed up. Talking with a local camera repair to deal with aperture block failure, I mentioned this issue and they sent me a link to order a replacement display, and I just want to get some more opinions if that'd be overkill, or if the issue if likely to start getting worse.
LCD stands for liquid crystal display, these crystals are modified by electric currents to form characters.
And like any liquid, they are temperature sensitive.
It could be that the bottom section gets less current, making only a difference if colder. Could be cable, corrosion, aging driver...or the lcd itself. Or it chills more because bottom side is more exposed. The display is controlled in rows and columns arrangement, so it seems only a section of rows is affected, which could be linked to specific cables or driver ...hitting its limit of operation.

The new screen, does the specification states a temperature range?
Compare to your outdoor use, and take into account wind as extra cooling factor. I guess in astro your camera is on tripod and pretty much more exposed then when carried around.
A fold out screen probably cools down quicker....as more exposed to wind chill.
And an illuminated screen is tiny bit warmer...but in astro you might avoid that.

Note that pentax states explicitly for K-1 mII that it functions up to -10⁰C (only?) as a feature (achievement?, better than other models?), not sure where other models land...
High reliability | PENTAX K-1 Mark II | RICOH IMAGING

In the end it might just be the cold...the camera telling you it's time to shelter.

Last edited by mlag; 02-01-2023 at 02:04 PM.
01-31-2023, 05:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Didn't see this today at 1f after 2 hours. Perhaps because the screen sits against my coat while hiking though.
Do you have the screen open in the cold? That could cool it quick.
01-31-2023, 06:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
It could be that the bottom section gets less current, making only a difference if colder.
No specs from a new display, as it's just an ebay listing, but I'm thinking it's just this, from driving the display at the lowest brightness.

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Do you have the screen open in the cold? That could cool it quick.
Yeah, folded out to check setting as such easier, so there's no insulation ftom the body.

01-31-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Difficult to judge.
If that row just appears during the exposure to strong cold and not in other situations, it could just be a sensitivity.
But as others don't have that problem, it could well be a sign that your LCD is weakening.

The test would be to set brightness higher and then see if the problem disappears or remains.
If it then remains, something is not quite right.

So if you plan to have the solenoid changed (only the Japan version I hope) then the repair costs will be lower
and yet, changing this LCD is a bit more work than the fix ones of a K30/50/K-S1.
02-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MDRatliffe Quote
No specs from a new display, as it's just an ebay listing, but I'm thinking it's just this, from driving the display at the lowest brightness.
-10⁰C seems to be a common limit for such displays.
Here is a vendor with extended Temp ranges linking it to lcd technology (like TN or STN types)
https://pacificdisplay.com/lcd_temp_range.htm