Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2023, 12:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Testing the depth of field on the KP?

It’s in the title: is there an option to do that?
Found nothing in the manual and there is no control on the body to do that.
Thanks

02-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
It’s in the title: is there an option to do that?
Found nothing in the manual and there is no control on the body to do that.
Thanks
Your manual fu is lacking mojo…

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/kP.pdf Page 51 and page 104.
02-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am pretty sure the KP has both optical and digital DOF preview as well as narrow and wide DOF capture modes.

I would have a search of the manual.
02-04-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check page 104 in the manual for setting preview as custom function to a FX-button.

02-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

So I just tried it on my KP and when I set it to the digital preview with all the boxes "ticked" - how does it actually differ from simply taking the shot?
02-04-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, thanks.
I’ll have to give up the default fx2 function.
02-04-2023, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
So I just tried it on my KP and when I set it to the digital preview with all the boxes "ticked" - how does it actually differ from simply taking the shot?
It's not saved to the memory card (unless you press the button to do so when reviewing it)?

02-04-2023, 01:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You know, that’s a good question! Other than not saving the image I’m not sure what the advantage is of using digital preview as opposed to instant review.
02-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
You know, that’s a good question! Other than not saving the image I’m not sure what the advantage is of using digital preview as opposed to instant review.
My point exactly
02-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My point exactly
Well, maybe freezing the image and zooming in? Also the histogram and highlight alerts are visible with digital preview even with focus peaking on. That could be an advantage. Maybe? I see your point. I can’t think of a real good reason how it is better than taking a test shot. Maybe there is a technique I’m not aware of?? I am kinda grasping at straws!!
02-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Of course, there's nothing wrong with this option, but to me it is much simpler to take a test shot :⁠)
02-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are certain effects that don’t get applied in preview. Maybe one of those could obscure the focus or sore the exposure?
02-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
Ok, thanks.
I’ll have to give up the default fx2 function.
Maybe you could set up a User Mode to give you the D.O.F. function just when you need it and not otherwise?
I've not tried this particular combination, but the User Modes on the KP are fairly flexible.

Quick and easy comparisons between two or more aperture settings just by shifting the e-dial and pressing the Fx button?
Possibly just one of those features that's only of use if you need it
02-04-2023, 04:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Of course, there's nothing wrong with this option, but to me it is much simpler to take a test shot :⁠)
This is what I do with the KP. I could set up a button for optical preview, but I like those buttons for their other purposes. I like the dedicated optical DOF preview control for viewing through the VF, which I have with my K-5 IIs and K-1 II, but the main disadvantage here is brighter lighting conditions are important, since the lens is stopped down during DOF preview use, making for darker viewing.
02-05-2023, 01:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
This is what I do with the KP. I could set up a button for optical preview, but I like those buttons for their other purposes. I like the dedicated optical DOF preview control for viewing through the VF, which I have with my K-5 IIs and K-1 II, but the main disadvantage here is brighter lighting conditions are important, since the lens is stopped down during DOF preview use, making for darker viewing.
Exactly... that's why I usually resort to the test shots as it's much easier to evaluate the DoF (by using a magnification)