Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2023, 06:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

White balance (Kelvin) CHECK option

Hi,

My first post/question and it's probably a dumb one but I can't find the answer anywhere, including the User Guide :-(
I'm using my Pentax K-7 and trying to investigate using the Kelvin colour temperature settings.

I don't have a problem with the colour theory, but with one minor point within the K-7 settings/functions.

When I go into the White Balance K settings, at the foot of the screen, in the middle, is a "Check" function (see my attachment) and I can't see what this is for and how to invoke it.

So -
1. Does that symbol/icon represent the AF button or the AEL button?
2. What does it actually do?

Any guidance would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HD1903  Photo 
02-09-2023, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #2

The check function refers to taking a preview image so you look at the results on the LCD. It is activated from rotating the power switch around the shutter button to the preview position. There is a corresponding iris icon around the shutter button showing the position to rotate the power switch to.

Normally this switch position has one of two functions depending on your menu settings. Optical DOF preview will stop the lens down s you can check the DOF in the viewfinder. Digital preview will take an exposure for preview on the LCD but not save the image. There is also a needle match exposure mode that is under documented that the details escape me at the moment.
02-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #3

Doesn't that indicate that you should press the shutter button? The camera will then show a preview image with the selected color temperature.

Edit: On 2nd thought, it may mean to activate the camera's depth-of-field control to produce a preview image.

Last edited by Ausable; 02-09-2023 at 07:49 AM.
02-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
On 2nd thought, it may mean to activate the camera's depth-of-field control to produce a preview image.
It does, hence the iris icon next to it. Pressing the shutter will take the camera out of that menu.

02-09-2023, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clivebennett Quote
Any guidance would really be appreciated.
Hi Clive,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Sometimes, it's difficult to find info in the printed manual, and often it's not obvious what to look for! I usually download a pdf version (from the Ricoh Imaging website) for an easier reference.

In this case, the K-7 Operating Manual mentions the "Main Switch" on p. 192 with respect to White Balance ("You can use Digital Preview to preview the background image with the setting applied."). See also p. 131 for info on the 'Digital Preview'.

I think you presented your question very well, and the attached image of the rear screen has been helpful.

Cheers,

- Craig
02-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The check function refers to taking a preview image so you look at the results on the LCD. It is activated from rotating the power switch around the shutter button to the preview position. There is a corresponding iris icon around the shutter button showing the position to rotate the power switch to.

Normally this switch position has one of two functions depending on your menu settings. Optical DOF preview will stop the lens down s you can check the DOF in the viewfinder. Digital preview will take an exposure for preview on the LCD but not save the image. There is also a needle match exposure mode that is under documented that the details escape me at the moment.
Thank you for the rapid reply!

So it's really just "suggesting" that you use the DOF preview function to check the white balance? Is that right?

Thanks again.
02-09-2023, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hi Clive,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Sometimes, it's difficult to find info in the printed manual, and often it's not obvious what to look for! I usually download a pdf version (from the Ricoh Imaging website) for an easier reference.

In this case, the K-7 Operating Manual mentions the "Main Switch" on p. 192 with respect to White Balance ("You can use Digital Preview to preview the background image with the setting applied."). See also p. 131 for info on the 'Digital Preview'.

I think you presented your question very well, and the attached image of the rear screen has been helpful.

Cheers,

- Craig
Thanks Craig.
The question may not have been dumb, but I must be blind. You quoted - on p. 192 with respect to White Balance ("You can use Digital Preview to preview the background image with the setting applied.") I must have by-passed that line in the manual a dozen times!
Thanks very much for the help.
Clive

02-09-2023, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So it's really just "suggesting" that you use the DOF preview function to check the white balance? Is that right?
Activate the DOF preview button and you will get an image on the LCD screen for you to "check". The image is not saved to the SD card. You can then adjust the WB parameters again if you are not satisfied.

I think that is how it works at any rate. I shoot raw so never change the WB settings.
02-09-2023, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Clive...welcome to PentaxForums!

Note, there are NO dumb questions, only dumb mistakes. Nobody was born knowing any of this stuff!
02-09-2023, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Hi, Clive...welcome to PentaxForums!

Note, there are NO dumb questions, only dumb mistakes. Nobody was born knowing any of this stuff!
Thank you, Julie. My "dumb" was reading the User Guide and missing this completely.

---------- Post added 02-09-23 at 11:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Activate the DOF preview button and you will get an image on the LCD screen for you to "check". The image is not saved to the SD card. You can then adjust the WB parameters again if you are not satisfied.

I think that is how it works at any rate. I shoot raw so never change the WB settings.
Thanks Peter. I've tried it out and it works just as you described.
02-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, Julie. My "dumb" was reading the User Guide and missing this completely.

You're weclome. No worries, Clive. We've all done it!