Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2023, 06:45 AM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One lens that impressed me much lately is the DFA 50 mm f/2.8 MACRO.

02-17-2023, 04:55 PM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
There are 160 reviews of this lens, and they give an average "sharpness" score of 8.9. The reviewer who may "scare you off" gives it 2. Why would you take notice of a review by someone who also thinks the DA* 300 lens is only "optically okay" ?

His review is frankly , nonsense
Good perspective Peter. Your comment makes sense. Thank you!
02-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
For what it's worth, and I have neither, it seems to me the advantages of the new lens is the more perfect optics, more relevant for artistic photos, maybe not a real optical advantage for sports. The autofocus speed may be a real factor, as I mentioned I wouldn't know the difference having neither. Also realize that shooting at 1.4 will give you a very narrow focus field, not really suitable for sports. You would possibly have to go up to F2 or more likely F2.8 to get enough depth of field to catch moving subjects and not continually look to be out of focus. I've shot some high school basketball at 2.8 with high ISO (up to 6400) and even 5.6 and got pretty decent results. But I also know every gym is different. I also feel you would get a lot more flexibility with a zoom for sports, not that you can't use a prime, but it can be kind of tough moving around in a gym during a game.
This is the real question the OP posted in a nutshell. An out of focus photo of someone playing sports has zero IQ. This isn't photographing a race, where you can set up your camera for a fixed point and fire the shutter at the right time. You have to follow the play with your camera and unless you are hundreds of feet away from the action, the distance between the camera and the player varies a lot. 50mm will work if the player is close to you, but if the play is on the other side of the court, you need to zoom in or be satisfied with photos of 6-8 players in the frame and the players in the foreground will have their backs to you. If you follow the play with your camera, you can take pictures at 1/320 to 1/500 second and seldom almost never have motion blur. The K-3III has excellent low light capabilities; it is far better to get a high ISO photo with barely noticeable noise that is in focus, than to be unable to take the shots you want.
02-19-2023, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With wrestling, my preference is for a shutter speed that will demonstrate motion blur in parts of the scene where there is quick motion. I find this is better than a series of frozen-like-a-statue "posed" stances or positions. The photos will then present to the viewer a sense of dynamic movement. A hand, arm, leg, or even a head will show some degree of motion, while the other parts of the body are clear, unless the whole body is flying through the air. I rather like 1/125 sec over all, and sometimes slow it down to even 1/90 sec. With the flash not being the main source of illumination, as fill-flash it will not "freeze" the subject's motion as the flash would if it were the main illumination. If freezing the action is needed or desired, 1/180 sec and with the fill-flash, will generally do the trick.

Depending on the lighting, might need to increase ISO substantially, but that should not be a problem with the K-3 III.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-19-2023 at 07:08 PM.
02-20-2023, 12:14 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtbroncos Quote
The first lens is the Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 SDM AW Silver Edition lens which currently goes for $1,196.00 on B&H

the second is the Pentax Normal SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Autofocus Lens which currently goes for $346 on B & H.

Both are 50mm F1.4 auto focus lenses. Is the direct drive motor the only reason the silver lens is so much more expensive.
Is it worth it the extra $700 for that type of drive?
The Pentax HD D FA* 50mm f1.4 SDM AW is one of the best 50mm lenses of all time. Same quality like Zeiss, but for just 1/4th of the cost.

Product Overview | HD PENTAX-D FA?50mm F1.4 SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
<= 55mm <= F1.4 Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
The new D FA50/1.4 have a Kaf4 mount so it will not work on older cameras like K-5, K-30 or older. It is supported on K-3, K-50 and newer.
It works fine on older camera bodies and its fast aperture can be used. Only if someone wants/needs to stop down, this doesn't work.

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
Will never happen as the DFA*50/1.4 has a Kaf4 mount and K100D S cannot control it's aperture
Can be used anyway, since it is usable also on older KAF mount versions. As long as you're fine with shooting open aperture, the're no disatvantages.

After taking in all of this info I think it is probably best to save up and get the DFA.
Don't want the softness for B-ball/sports, and definitely need a good AF mechanism.
The DA* 16-50mm 2.8 PLM has much faster autofocus than the D FA* 50mm 1.4 SDM.
If 50mm f2.8 would be bright enough for you, the new zoom lens with PLM motor has much higher AF performance - especially on the K-3 III.

Product Overview | HD PENTAX-DA?16-50mmF2.8ED PLM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING
02-21-2023, 07:39 AM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi friends. Can you guys tell this rookie why there is such a price difference in these 2 Pentax lenses.
Why not look at this in-depth review which compares the two lenses in details?

Pentax 50mm F1.4 comparison: M, FA and DFA Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-21-2023, 06:20 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Why not look at this in-depth review which compares the two lenses in details?

Pentax 50mm F1.4 comparison: M, FA and DFA Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Brilliant Sir, this is perfect. Thank you! I will dive right in!

02-21-2023, 07:55 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by artrasa Quote
I recently got myself a Pentax Program A camera. At some point I might want to get a 50mm lens to go with it. Would you recommend the FA 50/1.4 or is there some more suitable model? Curious to hear your suggestions.
I suggest the DA 55! The slow SDM doesn't matter on a manual focus camera.The disadvantage of it is that it doesn't have an aperture ring, so you would have ot use it in P or Tv mode.
02-21-2023, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I cannot imagine telling someone that they should spend money on glass that they can't stop down from max aperture or in only limited ways on their camera. Let them make that choice from a more experienced position.