Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #1

Pentax k-1 and hss with bowens xms500

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out/listen to me vent.

I just bought some new Bowens XMS500s which look amazing, I was in need of some new lights as the second hand gemini espirt 500s I have just don't fire continuously and aren't reliable for shoots so looked in to getting 2 more strobes to go with the Bowens gemini 400s that work, so that I have 4 lights that fire when I have clients.

After a little research on newer Bowens lights I saw the Bowens XMS500 offered HSS and I've got some great creative plans with HSS this year so was thrilled when I saw the XMS500s offered HSS at 1/8000th. Problem is, as you probably can already guess is that there isn't a compatible trigger from Bowens (that I can find anyway) with Pentax for the K-1. As i've had a little time off from photography i'm a bit rusty with things like triggers and slaves and didn't realise that the basic (cheaper) triggers won't let you do HSS. Flashes fire fine at 1/200th but can't seem to get them to fire any more than that with the current triggers.

At the moment I'm just feeling really frustrated, I spent all night trying to find some triggers that will allow me to use my Pentax K-1 in HSS with my new Bowens XMS500 which came yesterday. Is this just not possible at all? I've contacted the Bowens customer support team to ask if they know a work around but I think I know the answer.

I'm getting really really fed up of the lack of lighting options available for Pentax and I just don't understand how there can be so little options unless you shoot Canon, Nikon and Sony.

I came across the Godox X Pro-P Pentax transmitter last night and jumped for joy and just went to collect one, only to find that I don't think there's a work around to use this either with my Bowens lights and they only work with Godox lights and not through a third party (to use HSS anyway), Godox do happen to have Bowens S mount so there lights could be an option I guess.. I'm now looking at the GODOX AD600 PRO but they are more expensive than the Bowens and I don't know if my Gemini 400s will work together on cell mode with them

I'm just tired of everything needing a work around. Feel like Pentax need to pull their finger out and make it easier for us to use other equipment with their brand. I really like their cameras and lenses but just feeling exhausted by things not being so simple all the time.

Last edited by moomin; 02-16-2023 at 09:42 AM.
02-16-2023, 09:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by moomin Quote
I'm just tired of everything needing a work around. Feel like Pentax need to pull their finger out and make it easier for us to use other equipment with their brand
If Bowens don't manufacturer a trigger that is compatible with Pentax K-1....how is that somehow Pentax's fault ?
02-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm just tired of everything needing a work around. Feel like Pentax need to pull their finger out and make it easier for us to use other equipment with their brand. I really like their cameras and lenses but just feeling exhausted by things not being so simple all the time.
I think the root problem is that Pentax's market share is so small that some manufacturers simply can't justify the expense (and subsequent support) of developing compatibility with Pentax.

Hopefully there are folks on this forum who can offer useful advice on how to proceed further. There is also this: Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com
02-16-2023, 10:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If Bowens don't manufacturer a trigger that is compatible with Pentax K-1....how is that somehow Pentax's fault ?
Can you be a bit more helpful to the question?

---------- Post added 02-16-23 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think the root problem is that Pentax's market share is so small that some manufacturers simply can't justify the expense (and subsequent support) of developing compatibility with Pentax.

Hopefully there are folks on this forum who can offer useful advice on how to proceed further. There is also this: Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com
Thanks

02-16-2023, 10:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There are options out there for Pentax, but you'll need to make sure your triggers and receivers are compatible with each other and HSS if that's what you need.

Cactus makes HSS triggers for Pentax. If you don't mind wired connections there are 5FP HSS cables and Hot Shoe Adapters for Pentax.

The Phottix Odin II offers HSS for strobes: "Mitros+ flash, and Indra360/500 TTL lights while manual triggering is possible with Strato and Strato II receivers."
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1396272-REG/phottix_ph89080_odin_ii_t...981&

The Godox system is very good. I use Adorama's version of the Godox system, the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II, and love it. The first version of the R2 Pro is identical to the XPro. A couple years ago I sold all my Pentax 540 and 360 flashes and HSS cables, switching to the Godox/Flashpoint system. The Godox lights are amazing, and I use several TT520ii flashes.

I also have the TT600 comparable flash, the Flashpoint Zoom R2. It's a great flash. I also use the R2 Mini (TT350, I think). I've used both Profoto and Godox strobes, but to stay within the R2 system I went with the Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Pro (Godox AD400 Pro) when I bought the above flashes. Last month I added the XPLOR 300 Pro to the collection when it was on sale.

I also bought the Flashpoint Transceiver (I don't think Godox has one of these) for $25 in case I ever wanted to use this as a receiver for a non-R2 flash, but I find I use this instead on a second body in Tx mode to trigger all the above lights. I'm not sure if this would support HSS or not though.
02-16-2023, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you be a bit more helpful to the question?
If I knew the answer I would tell you. I do use radio triggers with Pentax and non-Pentax speedlights in both sync and HSS modes. But I have no experience of your lights and so cannot advise.

So no, I cannot be more helpful to your question. But I will say that if your post was less of a baseless accusation that somehow the issue is Pentax's fault you may have got a warmer welcome.
02-16-2023, 10:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
If I knew the answer I would tell you. I do use radio triggers with Pentax and non-Pentax speedlights in both sync and HSS modes. But I have no experience of your lights and so cannot advise.

So no, I cannot be more helpful to your question. But I will say that if your post was less of a baseless accusation that somehow the issue is Pentax's fault you may have got a warmer welcome.
Did you even read the question? Probably not. If you can't answer that's fine, let me rant.

02-16-2023, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm getting really really fed up of the lack of lighting options available for Pentax and I just don't understand how there can be so little options unless you shoot Canon, Nikon and Sony.

It's all in market share. Pentax is really small compared to the three you mentioned.
It's not on Pentax to make third party stuff compatible. That's on the third party manufacturers. Pentax compatibility is the same as everyone else's. If Bowens or anyone else chooses to not make compatible products, that's not Pentaxes fault.
02-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
There are options out there for Pentax, but you'll need to make sure your triggers and receivers are compatible with each other and HSS if that's what you need.

Cactus makes HSS triggers for Pentax. If you don't mind wired connections there are 5FP HSS cables and Hot Shoe Adapters for Pentax.

The Phottix Odin II offers HSS for strobes: "Mitros+ flash, and Indra360/500 TTL lights while manual triggering is possible with Strato and Strato II receivers."
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1396272-REG/phottix_ph89080_odin_ii_t...981&

The Godox system is very good. I use Adorama's version of the Godox system, the Flashpoint R2 Pro Mark II, and love it. The first version of the R2 Pro is identical to the XPro. A couple years ago I sold all my Pentax 540 and 360 flashes and HSS cables, switching to the Godox/Flashpoint system. The Godox lights are amazing, and I use several TT520ii flashes.

I also have the TT600 comparable flash, the Flashpoint Zoom R2. It's a great flash. I also use the R2 Mini (TT350, I think). I've used both Profoto and Godox strobes, but to stay within the R2 system I went with the Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Pro (Godox AD400 Pro) when I bought the above flashes. Last month I added the XPLOR 300 Pro to the collection when it was on sale.

I also bought the Flashpoint Transceiver (I don't think Godox has one of these) for $25 in case I ever wanted to use this as a receiver for a non-R2 flash, but I find I use this instead on a second body in Tx mode to trigger all the above lights. I'm not sure if this would support HSS or not though.
Thanks for the detailed response

Yes, I did come across the Cactus ones online. I saw some people say they were a bit glitchy? Do you find this too or not?

I actually have some continuous Godox lights, I hadn't heard of the brand before and was doing some research. I was sold on their Bowens S mount as for film making means I could just use all my light modifiers for flash without needing adapters and the likes!

I know the Godox AD600 pros are a bit more expensive £860 vs £600 but I do like that you can take the Godox on location with a battery and mains for the studio. I think i'll need to bite the bullet and just pay the extra if its what I want. Thank you so much again, really helpful.

---------- Post added 02-16-23 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's all in market share. Pentax is really small compared to the three you mentioned.
It's not on Pentax to make third party stuff compatible. That's on the third party manufacturers. Pentax compatibility is the same as everyone else's. If Bowens or anyone else chooses to not make compatible products, that's not Pentaxes fault.
Sorry can people just answer my actual question about flashes, I just had a small rant about the lack of things available and your comments aren't really useful to me?

I did just say its frustrating in the original post.

Thanks.
02-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I did come across the Cactus ones online. I saw some people say they were a bit glitchy? Do you find this too or not?
I use Cactus V6II triggers for Pentax and Cactus speedlights. They work fine, no glitches. But sadly Cactus are no longer in business so getting firmware updates may be an issue.
02-16-2023, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I bet you're fun shopping for auto tires with Yes it is frustrating, more so that one trigger won't work on more than one system, in most cases, which is dumber than Apple using Lightning plugs. You jumped the (flash)gun. First thing is to begin return what you just got and shop for a complete system that fit's your use need. Rant all you want but it's not going to eliminate your future with (most likely)Godox or Canikon.
02-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
I use Cactus V6II triggers for Pentax and Cactus speedlights. They work fine, no glitches. But sadly Cactus are no longer in business so getting firmware updates may be an issue.
This seems to be a running theme with things no longer in business and me buying them and wondering why I can't find a solution (like Bowens, though they are back!) I'll check them out. Thanks again for the input
02-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the detailed response

I actually have some continuous Godox lights, I hadn't heard of the brand before and was doing some research. I was sold on their Bowens S mount as for film making means I could just use all my light modifiers for flash without needing adapters and the likes!

I know the Godox AD600 pros are a bit more expensive £860 vs £600 but I do like that you can take the Godox on location with a battery and mains for the studio. I think i'll need to bite the bullet and just pay the extra if its what I want. Thank you so much again, really helpful.

---------- Post added 02-16-23 at 05:47 PM ----------

Sorry can people just answer my actual question about flashes, I just had a small rant about the lack of things available and your comments aren't really useful to me?

I did just say its frustrating in the original post.

Thanks.
Part of your question involved the answer I gave you.

Regarding dedicated TTL units, sorry I can't help there, I use manual control studio lights and fine tune the output with cabling, and use a flash meter to ensure my ratios are what I want.
02-16-2023, 12:18 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I bet you're fun shopping for auto tires with Yes it is frustrating, more so that one trigger won't work on more than one system, in most cases, which is dumber than Apple using Lightning plugs. You jumped the (flash)gun. First thing is to begin return what you just got and shop for a complete system that fit's your use need. Rant all you want but it's not going to eliminate your future with (most likely)Godox or Canikon.
I 100% assure you, I don't drive for this exact reason. Yes I'm not fun to be around today, very very stressed and a bit fed up. I think that's what i'm going for regarding the returns. I've just ordered some Godox AD600 Pros, let's hope I get some results from that instead. Just really bloody disappointing!
02-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I 100% assure you, I don't drive for this exact reason. Yes I'm not fun to be around today, very very stressed and a bit fed up. I think that's what i'm going for regarding the returns. I've just ordered some Godox AD600 Pros, let's hope I get some results from that instead. Just really bloody disappointing!

I didn't say driving, just tire shopping.

It wasn't clear whether you got the trigger or not, I found it to be a fussy bit to get set up but once done has worked well, once you get the button pushing down. Just shot 17 large watercolors using them yesterday.
Closed Thread