Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2023, 07:32 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 61: Pockets of Light on Location

Good morning all, shared hobbies are great. Is anyone else interested in time travel?

If you are, meet me outside the post office last Wednesday at 2pm. It'll be fun.

I went around for coffee with my brother and his wife at the weekend. They've decided not to have any more children, enough's enough.

He reminded me, "A two-year-old is like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it."

This week I want to talk about the importance of finding good light outdoors. The moment you see some interesting illumination and you can move so that a darker background is around it, that's where you can place your subject.

Below, as the sun was setting, the street was already in shadow except for a narrow reflection from some golden windows of an apartment building opposite.

I had to get down below Jessica standing on a bench with my K-1 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 to catch the spot and keep pedestrians out of the picture.

To finish with, there's the story of Bill and Marie, who desperate for a Sunday arvo quickie, decide that the only way to distract their ten year old son for long enough is to send him out onto the balcony of their flat to report on all the neighbourhood activities.

The boy begins his commentary as his parents head to the bedroom.

'There's a car being towed from the park,' he says after a few minutes.

There's a moment's quiet before the amorous couple and the narration resume:

'Looks like the Andersons have company. Matt from Number Ten's got a new bike. And the Coopers are having sex.'

Mum and Dad shoot upright in bed. 'How do you know that?' demands Bill.

'Their kid's out on the balcony, too,' his son says.

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

02-16-2023, 08:04 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Their kid's out on the balcony too." That's priceless.

Lovely shot Ian.
02-16-2023, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Their kid's out on the balcony too." That's priceless.

Lovely shot Ian.
Yeah, thanks, Mark, credit to Jessica, did not complain for one second at what she had to do in a public place for us to get that shot. By the end of a session that goes well, two strangers have developed a rapport and trust each other to do the right thing at the right time.

You can imagine what she had to put up with from the teenage guys walking past.
02-17-2023, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I've been time traveling for years. I'm from the year 1950. Problem is, I only get to travel one way...

02-17-2023, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
I've been time traveling for years. I'm from the year 1950. Problem is, I only get to travel one way.
A fellow passenger I see.
02-18-2023, 01:26 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

@clackers: your Beginners Tips are my reason to say TGIF! They are entertaining and educational - not only for beginners. I'm looking forward to the next one already ...

Just thought it's about time to say "Thanks".
02-18-2023, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24:
I've been time traveling for years. I'm from the year 1950. Problem is, I only get to travel one way...
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
A fellow passenger I see.
Kids. Just kids.

BTW, I had to look up the word arvo. In Texas we call it a nooner. Alas, far too many noons have passed, and these events are but (very) "misty, watercolored memories."

Last edited by AggieDad; 02-18-2023 at 08:21 AM.
02-18-2023, 01:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711 Quote
@clackers: your Beginners Tips are my reason to say TGIF! They are entertaining and educational - not only for beginners. I'm looking forward to the next one already ...

Just thought it's about time to say "Thanks".
Yeah, thanks, Snafu, I'm not paid a cent for any of this, so your kind words help keep me going for a while longer!
02-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Kids. Just kids.

BTW, I had to look up the word arvo. In Texas we call it a nooner. Alas, far too many noons have passed, and these events are but (very) "misty, watercolored memories."
Yeah, it's Australian slang. Hope that wasn't too distracting.

So, the parents were indulging in a bit of 'afternoon delight' ... 'arvo delight' doesn't have the same ring to it, of course.
02-19-2023, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Informative lesson, great image, lovely model, funny joke. What more could one want?