Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2023, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 Mark III shuts off with Image Sync app

Hi all.

I've being having this weird issue with my Pentax K-3 Mark III when trying to transfer my photos from the camera to my android phone using the Image Sync App. It connects correctly, and starts the transfer, but after 30 or so JPEGs transferred, the camera unexpectedly shuts off. I already made sure the auto shut off is not enabled, and the problem is kinda random, on monday I didn´t realized that I had like 300 photos on my SD that I haven't sync'd to my phone (normally I seldom do this), and it sync'd without issues, and today, 60 photos and I just wasn't able to sync because the camera shot off and every time I had to start the sync from photo #1, as the image sync app didn't confirmed the 30 photos that already received.

Have anyone experienced something like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kindest regards,

Marko

03-01-2023, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've not known image sync to be robust/reliable, at least not in my hands. I'd look for a card reader to keep in the camera bag, probably be a much faster transfer process too.
03-01-2023, 10:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Sony and Pentax gear struggle with file transfer some of the time. 1st rule of thumb: turn off auto join on your device for any WiFi in the area.
03-02-2023, 01:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Apart from the device trying to change networks, which needs to be disabled, might it be an overheating issue?

03-02-2023, 03:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is it a battery issue ?
03-03-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions,

The camera did get hot, but I was trying again and again for over an hour with the screen on all the time, but the error happened from minute 1, when the camera wasn't hot yet.

The battery is fully charged, so that's not the problem either.

I tried shutting of the auto network change and I'm still having the issue.

What I find really weird is that the camera shuts off completely, if it was the app the one that fails, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, but why is the camera shutting off?

I tried to sync DNGs instead and it worked without problems, even tried with DNGs converted to XS JPG and again, no problem at all, so apparently the problem is with SD # 2, don't know if its the SD card of the SD slot, I will make test during the weekend and will update my findings.

Cheers
03-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fri98 Quote
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions,

The camera did get hot, but I was trying again and again for over an hour with the screen on all the time, but the error happened from minute 1, when the camera wasn't hot yet.

The battery is fully charged, so that's not the problem either.

I tried shutting of the auto network change and I'm still having the issue.

What I find really weird is that the camera shuts off completely, if it was the app the one that fails, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, but why is the camera shutting off?

I tried to sync DNGs instead and it worked without problems, even tried with DNGs converted to XS JPG and again, no problem at all, so apparently the problem is with SD # 2, don't know if its the SD card of the SD slot, I will make test during the weekend and will update my findings.

Cheers
The camera turning off is a bad sign. I don’t know what is up.

03-04-2023, 01:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Isn't shutting the camera off a newly introduced feature of imagesync? Make sure that setting isn't enabled.
03-04-2023, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Further to my overheating suggestion above …

I had similar issues last summer with my KP, using it for video over wi-fi using ImageSync. Every so often the link would "break" for no apparent reason.
I went on to use WifiCommander Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera , which gives a far more comprehensive feedback from the camera, and it reported that my camera was indeed overheating, even though the ambient temperature was well within the manufacturer's specifications.
Whilst not a solution to the problem of transferring photo's to a 'phone, if you have access to a Windows pc with wifi it may help as a diagnostic tool.
Another possibility is wifi interference.
I found my ImageSync range to be far less from my 'phone than that achieved by my laptop using WifiCommander, especially in a domestic environment … suggesting "other factors" to be involved
03-05-2023, 12:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your advices.

Apparently it is working fine now. Here's what I did to fix it, but since "the fix is very new" I can't assure it is actually fixed, I will update in the following days.

1) I did reset the camera to factory settings,
2) Unisntalled and reinstalled image syn in my Galaxy S20+
3) Cleared image sync cache
4) Turned the shared location on to all time, and also allowed all time gps sharing to image syn on S20+ Settings menu
5) Re-formated both SDs

I've been testing it during Saturday and early Sunday and is working fine until now. hope it keeps working like this from now on.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Cheers,

Marko

P.S.- I also used Wifi Commander with no issues at all!