Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2023, 05:45 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 63: Lightboxes

Good morning, all. I bought my wife a beautiful slinky dress.

She looks amazing going down the stairs.

I'm not in good shape, though. My friend just said to me: “You’ve gained weight.”

I said: "I’ve had a lot on my plate recently."

This week, I want to talk about light boxes, tent cubes, whatever you want to call them.

They're ideal for product photography (and my wife is often buying and selling things on eBay, like my old cassettes, CDs and books) because LED lights with diffuse panels combine to make a very even, repeatable light. There will be consistency in the look of jewellery items in an online catalogue or the food dishes in a restaurant's menu.

You can see below an Australian $100 note taken with a K-30 and the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro. The exposure time is 1/6s but it's very sharp, being on a tripod and with a 2 second delay on the shutter.

To finish with, there's the story of the new lieutenant in the French Foreign Legion arriving at a remote base in Algeria.

As a corporal shows him his quarters, he asks, "The base is rather isolated, what do the men do for female companionship?"

The corporal replies, "On Fridays, they let us use the camels."

The lieutenant is disgusted, but says nothing. After a few weeks, however, the new officer is very lonely.

He decides that if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn't he?

The next Friday, the young lieutenant slinks over to the camel pens and, after looking around, drops his pants and starts engaging with a female camel. The camel is not amused and makes a huge uproar.

The same corporal comes in to investigate. "Lieutenant! What are you doing?!"

"Come on, man," replied the embarrassed officer, "You yourself told me we could use the camels on Fridays."

"Yes sir," said the corporal. "But most of us just ride them into town."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

03-03-2023, 05:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Besides being a war hero, that John Monash had a lot of concrete ideas!
Do you make a lot of prints of his "portrait" ?

Last edited by ProfessorBuzz; 03-03-2023 at 06:07 AM.
03-03-2023, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

A Wife And a $100 note, That don't happen very often.....
03-05-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Besides being a war hero, that John Monash had a lot of concrete ideas!
Do you make a lot of prints of his "portrait" ?

Australia went very early into full colour polymer banknotes as a way of making things harder for counterfeiters, but stories of forgery still happen from time to time.

John Monash was very interesting - law and science degrees, a general so good that allegedly the British Prime Minister wanted him to take full command of the army from Haig in WW I, and the first director of our state electricity commission.

He was also serious about the plight of returned veterans. May not have got as far as he could have, there was always a degree of historical anti-semitism in the upper reaches of Australian society.

03-06-2023, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Slinky. Gosh that takes me back.