Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #1

K70 WiFI

If anyone familiar with using a the K70 WiFi?

My new baby came on Friday, so I'm trying to get it all figured out.
I got imagesync on my phone, I got it to connect to the camera,I got it be a remote shutter release etc.

Here is my problem/question..
I hook up, and can see my pictures...
I use the remote to take a few more...
Those do not show up on my phone.

If seems like I have to start all over,,,
Go into my camera settings and select Pentax as WiFi, turn the WiFi, open ImageSync again and then I can see my new pictures too.

Is this the normal mode of operation, or do I have it set up wrong?
Does the ImageSync program not automatically hook you phone to the Pentax WiFi if it is on?
Do you always need to restart everything to see new pictures?
Is there a way to use it to only access a set of pictures, rather than everything on your card... It seemed pretty quick with only a handful of photos on my card, but I suspect as my card fill it may be a long wait for them to populate ImageSync., it would nice to select by date or session or something...

Are there software alternatives that are better?

Oh and can a add a gripe... the manual that came with my camera... why such poor instructions on the WiFi.... they do after all tell me how to plug the charger into the wall.... they could give better instructions on the technical aspects of the camera!

(nothing new here... I have long been frustrated by software manuals/guides/books that explain at length 'how to use a mouse', then don't address the meaty issues worth crap... It's a pet peeve of mine!)

03-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My experience with ImageSync and my K-70 is that it can be flaky on a bad day … WifiCommander Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera is a more reliable solution, but that's for a pc, not a 'phone. I don't believe there's another suitable 'phone app available.
One important factor, (not just with the K-70), is to ensure the 'phone you're using has been configured to ONLY use the connection to the camera and not to go wandering off looking for any other network.
Obviously the 'phone will need to be reset to "normal" operation when you've finished playing with your camera.
My personal opinion is that ImageSync was primarily intended as a wireless remote control, with the ability to revue the odd shot, not as a total image handling solution. I never have more than a day's worth of images on my card, so I've never been in a situation where the app has needed to handle a great number of pictures. If transferring images off the card is not an immediately available option, maybe an extra card or two might make for easier management.
Being really close to the camera when trying to transfer data will improve things significantly, especially in a domestic environment where there is likely to be other devices effectively causing interference.
Just wondering which manual came with your camera?
I believe some cameras were only issued with a relatively brief introductory guide, whereas mine was supplied with the full 156 page Operating Manual, including nine pages about using the wifi connection.
If you don't have the latter, it's available as a pdf download here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Good luck
03-05-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony’s software has a similar problem. Turn off auto-join on your phone on any nearby WiFi and enable auto-join on the Pentax WiFi and it will connect easily. Also turn off the cellular assist option for slow WiFi to avoid that breaking off the connection.
03-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hmmm I guess I will check my phone settings....
I was not hoping to use the ImageSync for much in the way of photo transfers...
Just the occasional transfer to my phone to post on social media when I'm off in the middle of nowhere.
I'm kind of bummed it seems so clunky, though I think using it for remote control may come in handy.

03-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bolimasa Quote
Hmmm I guess I will check my phone settings....
I was not hoping to use the ImageSync for much in the way of photo transfers...
Just the occasional transfer to my phone to post on social media when I'm off in the middle of nowhere.
I'm kind of bummed it seems so clunky, though I think using it for remote control may come in handy.
Or use an USB OTG (on the go) cable....your phone/tablet will treat the camera as sdcard reader.
For travel short cable of about 15cm / 5 inches is convenient. .. one having both camera and phone fitting connectors.

USB OTG Adapter for Android - PentaxForums.com

No settings..just don’t loose the cable. (I agree wireless is easier on that last point, but it would have been easier if they used Bluetooth, slower maybe, but not interfering with internet/wifi settings of phone...)