Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #1

Pentax K2 battery lid/cover

I just got an "as is" K2 from KEH as filler to get up to free shipping on an order. The K2 is in amazingly good condition, except that the electronics didn't work.

In looking at the K2 battery lid/cover, there was very slight pitting in the contact surface. I tried cleaning it with a pencil eraser to no success. It looks clean enough to work, but still doesn't. I replaced it with the lid/cover from my MX and the K2 electronics work with the MX lid/cover.

Any suggestions how to clean it? I don't want to just buy a used one off ebay since they apparently must be perfect for the K2 to work.

03-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Carefully use a very small amount of baking soda id you can do it without getting in in anywhere else. Try a very fine grit emory cloth if you can find one. Once you have it conducting power, maybe use a pin point size speck of dielectric grease to maintain that connection. You might put a very little bit of the dielectric grease on the emory cloth to catch the residue and make cleanup easier.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 03-05-2023 at 03:04 PM.
03-05-2023, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #3

Look for a product called DeoxIt which made to clean battery and electrical connections. Look for the pen applicator which concentrated and works well on corrosion. The spray cans get used up quickly. The pen will last for ages.

Clean the threads on both the camera and cap as well.
03-05-2023, 03:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Carefully use a very small amount of baking soda id you can do it without getting in in anywhere else. Try a very fine grit emory cloth if you can find one. Once you have it conducting power, maybe use a pin point size speck of dielectric grease to maintain that connection. You might put a very little bit of the dielectric grease on the emory cloth to catch the residue and make cleanup easier.
Thank you.

---------- Post added 03-05-23 at 04:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Look for a product called DeoxIt which made to clean battery and electrical connections. Look for the pen applicator which concentrated and works well on corrosion. The spray cans get used up quickly. The pen will last for ages.

Clean the threads on both the camera and cap as well.
Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.

03-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #5

When it comes to cleaning contacts I try to avoid using anything abrasive. The contacts are usually clad in chrome or nickel alloys to resist oxidation and corrosion. Although the plating may be damaged by leakage corrosion why remove more. You can scrape most of it off with a plastic card, wooden stick (tongue depressor) or nylon pot and pan scraper. Most battery button cells chemistry is basic in nature so clean with a mild acid like vinegar. You can usually tell from the color of the leakage - white/blue/greenish is usually a base (alkaline). Yellow/orange/reddish is usually and acid so clean with baking soda. The appropriate cleaning agent will neutralize the acid or base and halt further corrosion. Just remember to clean up further with water.
03-06-2023, 05:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When it comes to cleaning contacts I try to avoid using anything abrasive. The contacts are usually clad in chrome or nickel alloys to resist oxidation and corrosion. Although the plating may be damaged by leakage corrosion why remove more. You can scrape most of it off with a plastic card, wooden stick (tongue depressor) or nylon pot and pan scraper. Most battery button cells chemistry is basic in nature so clean with a mild acid like vinegar. You can usually tell from the color of the leakage - white/blue/greenish is usually a base (alkaline). Yellow/orange/reddish is usually and acid so clean with baking soda. The appropriate cleaning agent will neutralize the acid or base and halt further corrosion. Just remember to clean up further with water.
Looking at it, it doesn't look corroded. There's onn leakage, nothing to wipe off. It really doesn't look like it needs to be cleaned. It just looks slightly pitted compared to the one from the MX that works. I'm surprised the one from the KX doesn't work. It looks like it should.
03-12-2023, 06:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
DeoxIt worked. Thank you, I'd never heard of the stuff before.