Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #1

Can We Restore Stability to the software in my old Pentax K-r?

My shutter mysteriously snaps without being touched, the Info page comes on when the camera is shut off, and the needle has vanished from my EV meter.

How may I get the camera to work again?

Thank you for service to the Pentax community.

Be well,
Bob Choderker

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-06-2023 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Moved to Troubleshooting.
03-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've moved your post to Troubleshooting. I don't think it's a question for B&H. They don't do repairs.
03-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would start with a reset of settings. Try leaving the battery out a few days also.

Beyond that it may just be toast. It might involve components that have degraded.
03-06-2023, 07:25 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would start with a reset of settings. Try leaving the battery out a few days also.
+1
Try a complete camera reset by removing the battery for at least.48 h.
Charge fully your battery. If you have any doubt on your current battery, consider a new one and charge it fully.

In addition, dry completely your camera, e.g. by placing it in very dry rice. I had a camera where residual moisture cause a malfunction.

Hope that it may help.

03-06-2023, 09:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also clean the battery contacts. A pencil eraser is OK as long as you aren't a maniac scrubbing them. Electrical contact cleaner is more gentle. My *ist DS had the same shutter problem and that fixed it.
03-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Also clean the battery contacts. A pencil eraser is OK as long as you aren't a maniac scrubbing them. Electrical contact cleaner is more gentle. My *ist DS had the same shutter problem and that fixed it.
The batterycontacts of the K-r are different, identical to those of the K30, K50, K70 etc. and sit deep inside only.

They don't cause problems.

Very different to the contacts of the *ist-Series, K100D, K200D, K-m and K-x which often do cause problems.
Here a clean is not all but also the contacts on the battery-door need to be bend upwards.

The problem with the K-r usually is that flimsy On/Off-shutterrelease button, because as described in the first post, it can
"fire without doing anything". It is then usually is a contact problem
03-07-2023, 09:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
I solved the problem by hitting the two reset buttons in the menu.

Thank you for the advice, guys.

Yours,
SmilinBob

03-07-2023, 09:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SmilinBob Quote
I solved the problem by hitting the two reset buttons in the menu.

Thank you for the advice, guys.

Yours,
SmilinBob
Great news! Glad your camera is back to normal.
03-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had this problem twice and first thought it would be unsolvable because the K-r is known for mirror-flop

But in both cases I found it was just a problem of the

ON/OFF/Shutterreleasebutton:

It is very strange but the K-r has the most simple button here of all Pentax bodies. It has only 2 pairs of contact-bushes.

Open just the top of your K-r to be able to lift it carefully up. You find all necessary screws very easely but one hidden in the battery compartment.
When you have the top lose, lift it carefully and clean the contacts (bushes and the round contact area on which they slide.) with a clean alcohol.
Very carefully tighten that part with the contact-bushes with a PH000 or JIS screwdriver.

Then carefully assemble the top back.

3 links which can help:

Manual/Repair/clean On-Off-Switch / Shutter-Release-Button - PentaxForums.com*
Tutorial E-Dial (Thumbwheel) Repair Pentax K-r, K-x and K-m (K2000) - PentaxForums.com
Service-Manual Pentax K-r - PentaxForums.com

The K-r anyway prefers to be driven by Eneloops using the battery-adapter!
The powersupply of the K-r was taken over from the K-x without any change and NiMH are different to Li-Ion's
A set of Eneloops is a great idea and gives you more reserve than the D-LI109 which now is a little bit old and doesn't last
that very well as the D-LI90 or D-LI50!

Even the K-30/50/500 run better with a quad of Eneloop AA's.
03-23-2023, 04:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although the OP says the problem is solved, one thing I remember from my *istD is that when it got wet (the kayak I was in got swamped) the shutter fired uncontrollably) After opening all covers and drying it out in the sun for 4 hours it worked fine, and still does.

You might just want to dry it out with some rice, or silica gel for a day or so as a precaution