Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2023, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
  1. No, image quality doesn't relate to type of memory card
  2. No, digital memory desn't affect the quality of saved content.
  3. How do you define "best memory cards"?
    Reliability, endurance, performance, durability...
    I switched to Panasonic Gold 10 years ago because they offer high durability and reliability
    https://www.tipa.com/awards/panasonic-gold-pro-sdhc-uhs-i/
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891836-REG/panasonic_rp_sdub16gak_16g...981&
    Panasonic Gold (SDHC,SDHC,16GB,32GB,64GB,128GB) | eBay
  4. There's not "better", it depends on the available slot of your device.

Thnx very much. Tonytee

---------- Post added 04-14-23 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
After each shoot I normally dump the contents to the computer and then format the card. The first digital camera I used was a Nikon D70 and the manual recommended formatting the cards after each use. I feel that is still a best practice, as it gets rid of the all of the leftover fragment of files and folders that just erasing doesn't, which mean less chance of corruption.

Yes, that is exactly the way I started out, with a Nikon D70. I do continue to Format after each use, in fact, I have been Formatting the same disc twice after each use to

hopefully clean up any remnants that may cause issues. Thnx,

Tonytee

04-15-2023, 07:12 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

I have an usual approach to digital media. For the last few year it has been very, very cheap. When I bought an Optio 430RS in 2002 I bought a 64MB card to go with it which cost £64. The latest 64GB cost £9.. On the K1 64GB equates to about 1300 DNG files so less than a penny per file. So why re-use cards ?
The main difference between cheap brands and expensive ones is reliability - and buying from a good supplier keeps the risk of counterfeit cards down. Within any given brand the most expensive cards are faster than the K1 can write, but I have a drone that can use the extra write speed for video so for some time now I have been buying UHS-1 cards, from the same supplier I've used for 10 years and I keep the old ones as a backup of last resort (although I could probably get rid of the 4GB & 8GB ones from the K7 - which may no longer be readable as the SD cards do eventually lose the content if not used). The bits written are the same regardless of card, and people have superstitions about formatting cards, it really makes zero difference if the format is done by the card maker, camera, or computer provided it's a file system the camera can work with

I set the file name on the camera to go IMG1xxxx then IMG2xxxx and now IM1xxxxx so every image is uniquely numbered, but I will rename the IM part once the files are on the computer so DIVE81234 tells me it was a diving photo. Additional edits of the photo get a suffix after the number.
I try to use metadata tags on my JPGs as much as possible, because whatever folder structure you have, you always want to find "Pictures with Grandad", "Pictures rom Christmas 2013", "Portfolio Pictures"

I had a laptop stolen in about 2009/2010, I'd downloaded my pictures to it, and left the memory card in the slot, but the I hadn't backed it up, so I lost those pictures which included some shots of someone I only had one chance to take. So now I make sure that not only do I have multiple copies (two cards in the K1 both get written to, and that's saved the day twice in six years) but that I have copies in multiple places.
04-15-2023, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm curious to know if people fill their cards and store them as an archive, or format them when full?
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I never use them for storing photos. Cards get wiped after photos been downloaded to computer.
I do the same thing, I download the SD cards to the PC for review, culling and processing , store photos on an external drive. I keep a few replacement SD cards in my camera bag, so I can swap SD cards on the rare occsion when I fill a card before I have a chance to download and reformat. I always reformat using the camera's menu.