Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2023, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Getting back to the original question, I believe the "images" you're talking about are still photos since you mentioned jpeg and RAW files? I think some here might be assuming these are movie files. This has to be an issue with your photo software since, once taken, a still photo cannot change from lighter to darker. These aren't HDR photos by any chance (a setting on your camera) and your software is showing the different exposures when you open the file? Have you tried another type of software to see if it does the same thing?

03-25-2023, 12:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Do you, by any chance, have your display set up so that images deemed by Windows to be 'too bright' are automatically darkened to avoid eye-strain ? I have a vague memory of this setting causing problems to someone before.

T
03-26-2023, 06:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Do you, by any chance, have your display set up so that images deemed by Windows to be 'too bright' are automatically darkened to avoid eye-strain ? I have a vague memory of this setting causing problems to someone before.
This sounds like it might be the problem.

It would be great for us to get our hands on one of your frames that "turns dark." If you can not post it (the actual image file) somewhere yourself, let me know - I have available web space that could easily accomodate several of your straight-out-of-the-camera frames and make them available to the gurus here.
03-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help.
I was trying to upload the latest firmware, but it didn't work for me so I took the camera to CRK in Perth to help. They tried in front of me but it didn't work for them, they will try again later today, but if all fails with them they will send it away to get the latest firmware.
Once this is done I will tackle the photo app problem and hopefully the problem will be solved.
Thanks again everyone I really appreciated your input and time.
Cheers

03-27-2023, 01:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dianne Dawson Quote
when I viewed them on my computer both images changed within 2 seconds. It's almost like the photo app is trying to change the image. So from all these discussions I'm thinking its a computer problem rather than a camera problem.
Sounds like a software problem, not a computer problem. Software trying to be too clever for its own good is a common problem. Whoever wrote it would probably say it is not a bug, it's a feature
QuoteOriginally posted by Dianne Dawson Quote
As I am a beginner/enthusiast I'm not planning on spending a lot of money on an editing program as yet.
... all I need is a program on my computer that doesn't change how my photos look from my camera to the screen.
I don't know about Windows, but I'm sure it has a simple picture viewer which others have pointed you to. I suggest that whatever you have been using instead needs ditching. For a picture editing (as opposed to simple viewing) program that is good enough for anything outside the printing industry I suggest GIMP https://www.gimp.org/. It is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, and it is free; I use it all the time.
03-27-2023, 02:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had this problem 3 x being not able to update the firmware.
All had no serial number!
In all 3 cases this was because the Pentax body was a testsample sent to special people to test it before the DSLR would hit the market.
I still have one of them, an *ist DS. I can't even do it via its Debug-Menu!

The menu had a specific unusual difference:
To allow aperture-ring Yes was on Pos. 1 and not 2 as usual!

The other was a K-S2 and the I can't remember anymore.

So it could be you got one of those. Were did you buy it from?

Last edited by photogem; 03-27-2023 at 02:44 AM.
03-27-2023, 09:36 AM   #22

Do you by any chance use a transparent USB cable? You may want to switch to a dark one for uploading RAWs to prevent them from being exposed during transfer.

03-27-2023, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
Do you by any chance use a transparent USB cable? You may want to switch to a dark one for uploading RAWs to prevent them from being exposed during transfer.
Seriously? I bet all your images were out of focus after you dropped the film cans.

Last edited by OrchidJulie; 03-28-2023 at 07:46 AM.
03-27-2023, 11:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
Can you explain why the external transparent coating would interfere with the data-transfer.
I tried to find something about it but couldn't find any results.
Reading your comment I first thought "what nonsense" but then I guessed that you must have found out something most people wouldn't consider.

Last edited by photogem; 03-27-2023 at 11:37 PM.
03-28-2023, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Can you explain why the external transparent coating would interfere with the data-transfer.
I tried to find something about it but couldn't find any results.
Reading your comment I first thought "what nonsense" but then I guessed that you must have found out something most people wouldn't consider.
I think the poster was having a little joke. Granted, it is a little early for April Fools Day
03-28-2023, 02:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think the poster was having a little joke.
A bit out of place I thought, as the OP with the question identified as a beginner.