Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dot in pics

I just had my k1 serviced by the wrong Precision in Texas. They just cleaned it. Anyway, I now have this artifact appearing in all my shots. Any ideas?

Attached Images

Last edited by Ski Jumper; 03-25-2023 at 02:02 PM.
03-25-2023, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

That looks like dust in the sensor. Very common when you change lenses. It will show at all pictures in the same "spot" (pun intended) and will be more noticeable at smaller apertures like f22.
First step is to use the camera's cleaning function if it has one. After that a rocket blower can help. You put the camera in sensor cleaning mode without a lens where the sensor is exposed and you carefully blow clean air into it. Do not use canned compressed air like the one used to clean computer keyboards.
If it still persist then a more aggressive contact clean may be needed: Dry or wet.

Thanks,
Ismael
03-25-2023, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's classic dirt-on-the-sensor.
03-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok so I locked the shutter up and gave it a quick blow and looked at carefully with an led. The dust spot thru the ovf disappeared, but took a shot and the spot was still there, same position. Apparently something I can't see.

Last edited by Ski Jumper; 03-25-2023 at 03:05 PM.
03-25-2023, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's classic dirt-on-the-sensor.
Thanks. I hope so. It was just supposidly cleaned by a shop. Waste of $65 plus shipping.

---------- Post added 03-25-23 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

That looks like dust in the sensor. Very common when you change lenses. It will show at all pictures in the same "spot" (pun intended) and will be more noticeable at smaller apertures like f22.
First step is to use the camera's cleaning function if it has one. After that a rocket blower can help. You put the camera in sensor cleaning mode without a lens where the sensor is exposed and you carefully blow clean air into it. Do not use canned compressed air like the one used to clean computer keyboards.
If it still persist then a more aggressive contact clean may be needed: Dry or wet.

Thanks,
Ismael
Yes I keep the sensor clean mode activated for each time the camera is powered off. Thanks.
03-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ski Jumper Quote
Ok so I locked the shutter up and gave it a quick blow and looked at carefully with an led. The dust spot thru the ovf disappeared, but took a shot and the spot was still there, same position. Apparently something I can't see.
I hunt for spots on the sensor with a magnifying glass and an led light. The guy in the camera shop has one with a built in light, but the homemade solution works quite well too.
03-25-2023, 03:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
I hunt for spots on the sensor with a magnifying glass and an led light. The guy in the camera shop has one with a built in light, but the homemade solution works quite well too.
Thanks. It just came back from the shop after 4 weeks. I paid for a the better thorough cleaning charge. I finally got it i think, had to be a little more aggressive than I'd rather say lol. Wasted money I must say though.

03-25-2023, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

You can use the Pentax cleaning set to remove those unwanted spots in the picture. Be aware that the spot on the sensor is in the opposite place of that on the picture. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618600-REG/Pentax_39357_O_ICK1_Image_...981&
I use a led desklamp and if you move camera a bit in the light the blamishes are easily seen without a magnifying glass, when you look in the right place... Pentax cleaning set is worth the money and it is fun doing it yourselves.
03-25-2023, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
You can use the Pentax cleaning set to remove those unwanted spots in the picture. Be aware that the spot on the sensor is in the opposite place of that on the picture. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618600-REG/Pentax_39357_O_ICK1_Image_...981&
I use a led desklamp and if you move camera a bit in the light the blamishes are easily seen without a magnifying glass, when you look in the right place... Pentax cleaning set is worth the money and it is fun doing it yourselves.
I think ill order one. Just paid a hundred with shipping to have someone else do it. Think I'll complain. Complete waste of money. The entire experience was a 4 week disaster. (Precision camera in Texas).
03-25-2023, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I think ill order one. Just paid a hundred with shipping to have someone else do it. Think I'll complain. Complete waste of money. The entire experience was a 4 week disaster. (Precision camera in Texas).
but did you complain to the company that took your money and sent back a camera with a dirty sensor?

they should know....
03-25-2023, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
but did you complain to the company that took your money and sent back a camera with a dirty sensor?

they should know....
I will...I just got it back yesterday.
03-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I will...I just got it back yesterday.
I would do a test shot of white background and send along with your complaint and request for refund. Here's a link to some tips you may benefit from.

How to Check and Clean Your Camera Sensor Safely and Easily
03-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I would do a test shot of white background and send along with your complaint and request for refund. Here's a link to some tips you may benefit from.

How to Check and Clean Your Camera Sensor Safely and Easily
I think I have it cleaned now. My way wouldn't have exactly qualified as the safest (multi purpose.sol, soft tips and cloth) but I was fairly gentle and got it. Thanks for the link, I'll use correct products and put it to regular practice from now on. Much appreciated.
-Jim

Last edited by Ski Jumper; 03-26-2023 at 06:00 AM.
03-25-2023, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I have it cleaned now. My way wouldn't have exactly qualified as the safest (saline, soft tips and cloth) but I was fairly gentle and got it. Whatever it was, it was stuck pretty good and not there before I had the camera serviced. Thanks for the link, I'll use correct products and put it to regular practice from now on. Much appreciated.
-Jim
A part of me is shuddering. Saline isn’t a choice I would make. But I’m glad it worked.
03-25-2023, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A part of me is shuddering. Saline isn’t a choice I would make. But I’m glad it worked.
Just a barely a dab to moisten, since it won't evaporate. Multipurpose not saline. It was a dumb idea. Leica lens wipe would have probably been better. Whatever it was, it was stuck and streaked. Like grease on glass. Service tech must of had something on his tools or whatever. I could also see streak or residue mark along one edge. By the way the da300 works fine. Quieter than expected and seems plenty fast.

Last edited by Ski Jumper; 03-26-2023 at 05:47 AM.