Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2023, 01:00 PM   #1

Screwdriver size and brand recommendation, Spotmatic camera plus others

Hello forum members,

I’ve been addressing some Pentax film cameras lately and already have Moody brand JIS head screwdrivers, but interested in other brands you’d recommend in case I purchase a backup set.

But my main question today is in regards to flat head screwdrivers- what brands are recommended, and what size range.

I’ll get even more specific on the next question- I have a loose film counter cover on a Spotmatic with tiny grub screws. I need to replace the tiny grub screws as the heads are damaged from a previous owner trying to tighten them and stripping them, but wondering what size flathead I need for them- I’m assuming .6mm or possibly 1mm, as they look tiny.

Anyone have experience with these grub screws? Is either .6mm or 1mm the right size?

Thanks in advance for your help.

03-29-2023, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2

What don't you like about Moody that you would consider other brands? Moody sells a slotted screwdriver set.

I have a 4 driver JIS Moody set and a Craftsman jewelers set I bought in the late 70s (4 slotted, one Philips). The smallest and second smallest slotted screwdriver fits on all the tiny grubs screws on any of the lenses or K1000 that I've encountered. I've never had to use the smallest or largest JIS driver in the set.
03-29-2023, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Bokeh Quote
interested in other brands you’d recommend in case I purchase a backup set.
I have this set: https://www.ifixit.com/products/mako-driver-kit-64-precision-bits

It includes 4 JIS bits, several small flat/slotted bits, as well as many other useful ones. I've been happy with the quality and the versatility.

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Bokeh Quote
Anyone have experience with these grub screws? Is either .6mm or 1mm the right size?
I just examined a Spotmatic on my workbench; a 1-mm flathead fits the grub screws without excessive play. 1.5 mm is too big.

- Craig
03-29-2023, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4

With grub screws you can measure the diameter of the screw and use whatever size that will just fit.

03-29-2023, 07:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What don't you like about Moody that you would consider other brands? Moody sells a slotted screwdriver set.

I have a 4 driver JIS Moody set and a Craftsman jewelers set I bought in the late 70s (4 slotted, one Philips). The smallest and second smallest slotted screwdriver fits on all the tiny grubs screws on any of the lenses or K1000 that I've encountered. I've never had to use the smallest or largest JIS driver in the set.
Oh, the Moody have been great and I’m happy with the quality. I’m curious however as to other brands that are in good regard, in case I come across a nice deal on an alternative brand.

Do you happen to know the size of the two smallest slotted screwdrivers on your craftsman set?

---------- Post added 03-29-23 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I have this set: Mako Driver Kit: Precision Screwdriver Bit Set for Phone, Computer

It includes 4 JIS bits, several small flat/slotted bits, as well as many other useful ones. I've been happy with the quality and the versatility.

I just examined a Spotmatic on my workbench; a 1-mm flathead fits the grub screws without excessive play. 1.5 mm is too big.

- Craig
Thanks Craig- you’ve been immensely helpful. Thank you!
03-29-2023, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer Vessel 9902 over Moody Tools:
https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-125610-9902-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B003BI4IC4
Made in Japan with super hardened and very precise tips
and long enough to have easy access into difficult regions such as inside the battery compartments.
More about them HERE
I have tried many different brands and Moodys aren't bad at all, no question, but if smaller needed, then there are other Vessels as well:
VESSEL Precision Screwdriver Set TD-56 / -0.9, -1.2, -1.8, -2.3, 00, 0
All crossheads are true JIS, Pentax crosshead screws always were and still are JIS and not PH.

If you compare the crosshead heads of Vessels and Moody under a microscope than you understand the difference.

Don't use Wera Kraftform or Wiha! Not JIS but PH. There are some people who believer that PH and JIS are now the same, but this is not the case at all!

See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/456575-li...ut-vessel.html

Last edited by photogem; 07-04-2023 at 11:34 PM.
03-30-2023, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I prefer Vessel 9902 over Moody Tools:
I second that - the Vessel ones are superb and fit perfectly.
Another source of good tools etc for camera repairs (available direct or via Amazon per photogem): https://japanhobbytool.com/

03-30-2023, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Thanks for the recommendation!
Ordered - precisely what I was looking for.

Also, a bit off topic (sorry!), anyone who can suggest a good miniature hand drill and tapping kit (for vintage lens repairs)?

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-30-2023 at 11:11 AM.
03-30-2023, 07:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this and it is a good miniature hand drill, but maybe expensive to get it to Sweden.

Lee Valley Replica Egg-Beater Drill - Lee Valley Tools
03-30-2023, 11:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have this and it is a good miniature hand drill, but maybe expensive to get it to Sweden.

Lee Valley Replica Egg-Beater Drill - Lee Valley Tools
My mistake - I should have written miniature FINGER drill and tapping set (they are truly mini, easily hold with two or three fingers).
But no problem, I'll find them myself. I just wanted to avoid the lemons. And the combined drills and thread taps are harder to find.

Here's a (just an) example of the size of these mini drills-bits:
https://www.amazon.se/Haimoburg-stycken-mikrospiralborrar-metallborrsats-vol...1NCIZ2VP&psc=1

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 03-31-2023 at 12:03 AM.