Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2023, 04:29 PM   #1

Lever at the back of vintage lens

Hi all,

Got my first vintage lens. Unfortunately, tried to clean it but a little metal spring fell off on the rings at the mount, and then I lost the spring. A lever at the back of the lens is not moving (not spring-loaded anymore).

I wasn't sure what it does, but now I noticed I can fully open the aperture (f3.5) even at 70mm. Obviously useless photos as they are soft.

My question is: is this the only function of this spring? Because I can cope with this and remember to stop down as I zoom. Unless I'm missing something? Is it worth repairing?

Thanks.

03-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ImMotaz Quote
Hi all,

Got my first vintage lens. Unfortunately, tried to clean it but a little metal spring fell off on the rings at the mount, and then I lost the spring. A lever at the back of the lens is not moving (not spring-loaded anymore).

I wasn't sure what it does, but now I noticed I can fully open the aperture (f3.5) even at 70mm. Obviously useless photos as they are soft.

My question is: is this the only function of this spring? Because I can cope with this and remember to stop down as I zoom. Unless I'm missing something? Is it worth repairing?

Thanks.

maybe I am missing it, but what lens do you have?
03-31-2023, 07:46 PM   #3

Assuming you are talking about a K-mount lens the spring is what closes down the iris. When you mount the lens the aperture actuator in the camera will move the lever to the wide open positions. Without the spring the diaphragm will stay wide open.

Get a big magnet or put some pantyhose mesh over the tube of a vacuum cleaner and go hunting for the spring. Provided it didn't get caught in your clothes and can be any where now.
03-31-2023, 08:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm sorry forgot to say its the TOKINA 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 with a minilta MD mount.

03-31-2023, 09:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the group! Sorry to hear about your lost spring. Did you disassemble some part of the lens before this spring was lost?

Maybe a photo will help gather you more suggestions.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-31-2023 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Edit - type of lens posted before I replied.
03-31-2023, 10:23 PM   #6

Minolta lenses work pretty much the same as K-mount. If you are using an adapter then it might close down when you turn the aperture ring as there is no actuator in the adapter.
03-31-2023, 10:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Welcome to the group! Sorry to hear about your lost spring. Did you disassemble some part of the lens before this spring was lost?

Maybe a photo will help gather you more suggestions.
Thanks a lot. Yes I tried to clean it and started from the back then spring fell and I lost it. I don't have a picture of the pens when I -half- disassembled it unfortunately. And yes I'm using an adapter.