Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #1

Spotmatic SPII Bulb won't remain open

I have an SPII in fine working condition, working meter, etc except that the bulb mode fires a very fast shutter, similar to 1/1000 in sound. I know that I can get it fixed with a CLA, but is this a simple thing to adjust on my own, or is that a very bad idea?

04-01-2023, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

If you're familiar with working on other small mechanisms, watches, clocks etc., and have the correct tools for the job, then it's possibly a "simple thing to adjust on your own", if you can find a copy of the service manual or maybe a detailed on-line procedure.
Other than that, save your initiation into camera disassembly for a no-cost old relic or two and get your presumably otherwise working Spotmatic fixed professionally (or live without the B function).
If you really do need a camera for B exposures, it'll probably be cheaper to source a second camera specifically for that work rather than pay to get your Spotmatic fixed.
Good luck
04-03-2023, 06:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DavesDogma Quote
I have an SPII in fine working condition, working meter, etc except that the bulb mode fires a very fast shutter, similar to 1/1000 in sound. I know that I can get it fixed with a CLA, but is this a simple thing to adjust on my own, or is that a very bad idea?
I have been watching this thread to see if somebody will ask a question, and nobody has. So I will. First I need to say I am not trying to be mean or sound like an as%$*le or anything. So anyways, here is the question.

You do know to use a camera in Bulb mode, when you take a picture, you need to hold the shutter release button down for the camera to take a long exposure? Example, for a 5 second exposure, you need to hold the shutter release button for 5 seconds which will hold the shutter open for 5 seconds.

Not trying to be mean, but sometimes we do miss obvious things. I do that all the time. Plus, I don't know what your experience is with cameras. Sorry.
04-08-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Getting another body would be cheaper than paying to get a little used function fixed. Some cameras had a B and a T setting, I use a cable release which locks down until released for those which only have B.