Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2023, 01:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Cannot get K-5 and Sigma DC HSM 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 to work

Hello,

I have a K-5 and wanted a very wide angled lens primarily for night time rocket launches. I have purchased two different Sigma DC HSM 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 lens and I cannot get that lens to work with a K-5. The Pentaxforums Check Camer and Lens Compatibility resource does show the camera and lens are compatible. The first lens I purchased had some damage and I thought that was the reason it was not working. I recently purchased another on on Ebay that looks as advertised: near-mint condition, yet I am seeing the same issues. The issues are:
  • Will not go auto-focus.
  • Metering information shown below the frame in the viewfinder is jumping all over the place: f-stops, shutter speed and ISO setting.
  • Metering infomation shown on the top LCD panel is also jumping all over the place.
  • Pictures are under-exposed and over-exposed.
  • Looking at metadata on my computer I see some pictures with no focal length recorded and F-stop values up to F-11.
  • I cannot control the aperture setting, which is a deal breaker for me.

The lens is completely mounted on the camera. It does click into place and is not loose.

I do not find any evidence of someone experiencing these same issues. I do not find any information on any camera settings specifically for this lens.

Any hints, tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Dan

04-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like dirty or sticking contacts on the lens (or camera), but to experience similar symptoms on two different lenses might suggest a camera issue rather than the lens.
Presumably you have other auto-focus lenses that do behave themselves?
04-02-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It should work -- I used to use that combo. You won't get the lower (widest) focal lengths showing up in the EXIF -- that's a known issue. (There are some workarounds to set it later.) However, sounds like you've got a bigger problem, it shouldn't be going crazy. I did also buy a used one that I had to send back to the seller -- can't remember the issue but maybe an inherent problem has started to manifest itself as these lenses age. But since it has happened twice, you first need to verify that it isn't your body -- try another SDM (or preferably Sigma HSM) lens and see if that works on your body, or try the Sigma on a different body.
04-02-2023, 07:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfcr8zy Quote
Hello,

I have a K-5 and wanted a very wide angled lens primarily for night time rocket launches. I have purchased two different Sigma DC HSM 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 lens and I cannot get that lens to work with a K-5. The Pentaxforums Check Camer and Lens Compatibility resource does show the camera and lens are compatible. The first lens I purchased had some damage and I thought that was the reason it was not working. I recently purchased another on on Ebay that looks as advertised: near-mint condition, yet I am seeing the same issues. The issues are:
  • Metering information shown below the frame in the viewfinder is jumping all over the place: f-stops, shutter speed and ISO setting.
  • Metering infomation shown on the top LCD panel is also jumping all over the place.
  • Looking at metadata on my computer I see some pictures with no focal length recorded and F-stop values up to F-11.

The lens is completely mounted on the camera. It does click into place and is not loose.

I do not find any evidence of someone experiencing these same issues. I do not find any information on any camera settings specifically for this lens.

Any hints, tips or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Dan
Do you have any other internal motor lenses that you can check on the k-5?

04-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Also, maybe check the firmware on the K-5. If it has never been updated, there is a chance it could be that.
04-03-2023, 06:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks for the responses and queries.

Yes, I have other auto-focus lens that function normally:

Pentax DA 55-300
Pentax FA 35
Pentax DA 18-55

I also have a K100D, which has a known auto focus (manual only) issue with this lens, but it also exhibits:

- Metering information is not reliable. Values above the lens max F5.6 are showing
- Pictures are under-exposed
- Looking at metadata on my computer all pictures show an F-stop of F-8.

When I first purchased the K-5, in 2019, I checked for firmware level and upgraded to V1.16.
04-03-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Thanks for the responses and queries.

Yes, I have other auto-focus lens that function normally:

Pentax DA 55-300
Pentax FA 35
Pentax DA 18-55

I also have a K100D, which has a known auto focus (manual only) issue with this lens, but it also exhibits:

- Metering information is not reliable. Values above the lens max F5.6 are showing
- Pictures are under-exposed
- Looking at metadata on my computer all pictures show an F-stop of F-8.

When I first purchased the K-5, in 2019, I checked for firmware level and upgraded to V1.16.
Which DA 55-300 is it f5.6 or f6.3 on the long end. If it’s f5.6 then NONE of those lenses have motors in them - they all are screw driven by the body. The HSM 8-16 uses an in lens motor system that’s different. There could be a failure in the body related to only the in lens motor focusing sub-systems.

04-04-2023, 05:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Check to see if that is one of the Sigma lens that can be firmware upgrade via the Sigma Doc... It may need that.
04-04-2023, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Check to see if that is one of the Sigma lens that can be firmware upgrade via the Sigma Doc... It may need that.
The 8-16 shouldn't need it just to work. (The K-5 itself might though, can't remember.)

And yes -- you need to test an SDM/HSM lens (or this lens on a different body), i.e. not screw-drive lenses.
04-04-2023, 11:21 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The DA 55-300 is f5.8 on the long end.
04-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 55-300 is f5.8 on the long end.
That confirms that this is one of the versions of the lens that is screwdrive - driven by the body's own motor not the lens. The HSM 8-16 is the only lens you have with a motor in it. Something may be wrong with the SDM (HSM uses this also) connections. Do you see the Powerzoom/SDM contacts in the mount on the K-5?

Look at this image:
K-5 - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

On the bottom right as you face your camera - do you see the two gold dots that you see in this image? Those are the SDM contacts (used by HSM as well) that transmit power to the lens. Are they intact? Do they seem to be raised a little from the flat parts around them? Are the other contacts on the body all similar to what is shown?
04-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K100D does not have contacts to work with lens motors. The K100D Super added this feature.
04-04-2023, 06:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The issues are:
Of these only the lack of autofocus should happen on the k100d is that true?

---------- Post added 04-04-23 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K100D does not have contacts to work with lens motors. The K100D Super added this feature.
Correct. But as I point out above - that doesn’t stop the lens reporting aperture and exposing accurately.
04-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
On the K-5, I see the gold contacts. They are intact. They are raised. They do squish down if I press on them. Yes, all of the other contacts on the body are similar to what is shown. See the attached photo.

---------- Post added 04-04-2023 at 10:28 PM ----------

I also tried something I read on Pentax K5 problem - Pentax - Photo.net. I put the grip on with fresh batteries, but no change. Still the same symptoms.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-S908U  Photo 
04-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do know that the Sigma 8-16 works with the K5. I have used mine going all the way back to my K10D which is older than your K5. It may seem simple but I will add that the Sigma 8-16 does have an Autofocus/Manual Focus switch. You need to have that set to autofocus. If you are trying to use Liveview (the back LCD screen) rather than the viewfinder, I never really seen an older Sigma lens that will work with Liveview. If you truly cannot get that lens to work I suggest two things.

1 Reset the camera back to the factory defaults in the menu.
2 Download the latest firmware and update your camera's firmware to that.

I hope that this is of some help and good luck. The Sigma 8-16 really is a fine lens.