Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2023, 07:32 PM   #1

Viewfinder cleaning - ME Super

Hi!
Some idiot (that shall remain anonymous so I don’t feel like an idiot), decided to clean his camera.

It’s in full working order and I purchased it new in around 1982.

I have a succession of Pentax cameras purchased new, the last of which is K7.

I did a dumb thing. I used some kind of solvent which has affected the coating on the underside of the prismatic glass in the viewfinder. Doesn’t impact the images, but impacts me because I see the smears through the viewfinder.

Am I forever in camera purgatory or is this a sin that can be forgiven by a graceful fix?

iCloud

04-02-2023, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use ethanol, but never acetone or other petrol based solvents...

From time to time there are good working ME-supers available for little on Ebay or Marketplace. I think that's the best option to get over it..
04-03-2023, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Bad luck - all I can say is many are in the same boat. At least the images are not affected. Buying another one is of course an option, but when you've owned something from new, another one will never be the same.
04-03-2023, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There isn't a good fix, unfortunately. The best option is replacing the focusing screen but the ME Super doesn't have the convenient flip down tray in the mirror box that a lot of cameras have. To change the screen you have to take the top cover off, do a little desoldering, then unscrew and flip up the pentaprism. Not something most camera users want to deal with. But if you send it to a camera tech, they should be able to replace it for you. The camera is probably due for a full servicing anyway. The ME Super has a bunch of rubber bumpers in the mirror mechanism that tend to break down over time and cause problems. Good luck!

Last edited by vandergus; 04-03-2023 at 06:10 AM.
04-03-2023, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazpacho Quote
Hi!
Some idiot (that shall remain anonymous so I don’t feel like an idiot), decided to clean his camera.

It’s in full working order and I purchased it new in around 1982.

I have a succession of Pentax cameras purchased new, the last of which is K7.

I did a dumb thing. I used some kind of solvent which has affected the coating on the underside of the prismatic glass in the viewfinder. Doesn’t impact the images, but impacts me because I see the smears through the viewfinder.

Am I forever in camera purgatory or is this a sin that can be forgiven by a graceful fix?

iCloud
So it is the focusing screen that is affected.
Did you try demineralised water to fix the smears?
04-03-2023, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the focusing screen "smears' are probably caused by the focusing screen plastic being dissolved and solidifying to look like that. Sadly no fix.
04-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
So it is the focusing screen that is affected.
Did you try demineralised water to fix the smears?
Yeah, it’s not coming off anytime soon. Pretty sure it is residue from the mirror light seal that has deteriorated to a sticky mess.

I can still see through it, fortunately. It is 30 years overdue for a professional service.

04-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
the focusing screen "smears' are probably caused by the focusing screen plastic being dissolved and solidifying to look like that. Sadly no fix.
Yep. This is my fear. Maybe I can replace the focusing screen - and by that I mean pay someone to do it for me.
04-04-2023, 03:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vandergus Quote
There isn't a good fix, unfortunately. The best option is replacing the focusing screen but the ME Super doesn't have the convenient flip down tray in the mirror box that a lot of cameras have. To change the screen you have to take the top cover off, do a little desoldering, then unscrew and flip up the pentaprism. Not something most camera users want to deal with. But if you send it to a camera tech, they should be able to replace it for you. The camera is probably due for a full servicing anyway. The ME Super has a bunch of rubber bumpers in the mirror mechanism that tend to break down over time and cause problems. Good luck!
I’ll look around and find someone in Sydney to take a look. The mirror seal has deteriorated. It would be nice to pick it up and use it knowing it will behave perfectly.

Thanks.
04-07-2023, 01:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
Use ethanol, but never acetone or other petrol based solvents...
Not a good idea to use any alcohol.

Here is what Katzeye recommended:
cleaning - KatzEye Optics
cleaning - KatzEye Optics