Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #1

K70 will not show image on screen

Hi all, I have not used my K70 for a month or two so I recharged the battery and it works except that I cannot get an image on the screen. I am not sure if I have inadvertently changed something and I cannot find what to do to remedy the situation.
Any suggestions?

04-02-2023, 10:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chrisby Quote
Hi all, I have not used my K70 for a month or two so I recharged the battery and it works except that I cannot get an image on the screen
Do you mean you cannot see anything at all.....ie pressing INFO or MENU buttons do not display, or is it just images taken (either instant review or Playback mode ?
04-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is only about the instant review function ( the brief popup of the image just taken), go to camera (icon) menu 5, instant review (2nd position). Default is one second, you can set also like 3 seconds, and yes, also "off". The last is intended for those nightly shootouts where too much light flashes of lcd screen would distract to much..,

If menu, info buttons and review function of pictures are all dead, I suspect a faulty display (connection). Or is there an overall lcd switch off function?
If it is the lcd connection, you might want to try several positions of lcd...to detect a loose or halfbroken cable.

If your camera has another display language than English, it might be named different than ’instant review’ , in Dutch it is ’moment controle’ as example...

Last edited by mlag; 04-03-2023 at 11:13 AM.
04-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
If it is only about the instant review function ( the brief popup of the image just taken), go to camera (icon) menu 5, instant review (2nd position). Default is one second, you can set also like 3 seconds, and yes, also "off". The last is intended for those nightly shootouts where too much light flashes of lcd screen would distract to much..,

If menu, info buttons and review function of pictures are all dead, I suspect a faulty display (connection). Or is there an overall lcd switch off function?
If it is the lcd connection, you might want to try several positions of lcd...to detect a loose or halfbroken cable.

If your camera has another display language than English, it might be named different than ’instant review’ , in Dutch it is ’moment controle’ as example...
I can get the info re F stop, shutter speed etc but no image through the lens. A Sigma 150- 500 in this case. It was working when I last used it. I have had a fiddle and the review was ON and set to 5 seconds. I put it off and on again and their is an image now but very dark. Scrolling through the old images, some were clear and bright and some not. This means the screen is ok I guess ?
Does it mean that the lens may be at fault? If so I will try another lens and see what happens. Thank you both.

04-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Is it possible that the images are there, but very dark due to the dreaded solenoid issue ?
04-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Is it possible that the images are there, but very dark due to the dreaded solenoid issue ?
That's a possibility.

@Chrisby, several models of Pentax cameras, including the K-70, are known to suffer a fault in a particular electro-magnetic component that controls the aperture diaphragm; it's a solenoid. Although the fault isn't 100% certain to occur, numerous members have reported the issue. It seems to occur more so after a camera hasn't been used for a while. It's repairable.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-03-2023 at 06:36 PM.
04-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your photos are "just" totally underexposed (which often is the case when one hasn't used the camera for a longer time), then do this test:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

If it then turns out to be ABF, i.e. a stuck solenoid, then this would be the best next step:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

You can read more about ABF and the solenoid here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

04-21-2023, 11:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
That's a possibility.

@Chrisby, several models of Pentax cameras, including the K-70, are known to suffer a fault in a particular electro-magnetic component that controls the aperture diaphragm; it's a solenoid. Although the fault isn't 100% certain to occur, numerous members have reported the issue. It seems to occur more so after a camera hasn't been used for a while. It's repairable.

- Craig
It has been reported that the problem started when Ricoh/Pentax decided to go with a Chinese made Solenoid instead of a Japanese Solenoid. Now with the K-30, K-50 and

most recently the K-70 being affected, there is a Class Action Lawsuit in effect in the state of New Jersey. Seems consumers have had just about enough! The current caveat is : Do not buy anything from Ricoh/Pentax with double digits.

Tony
04-22-2023, 03:24 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
It has been reported that the problem started when Ricoh/Pentax decided to go with a Chinese made Solenoid instead of a Japanese Solenoid. Now with the K-30, K-50 and most recently the K-70 being affected, there is a Class Action Lawsuit in effect in the state of New Jersey. Seems consumers have had just about enough! The current caveat is : Do not buy anything from Ricoh/Pentax with double digits.

Tony
No, the K-70 since Jan. 2021 is 100% safe!

Read here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
04-22-2023, 03:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can get the info re F stop, shutter speed etc but no image through the lens. A Sigma 150- 500 in this case. It was working when I last used it. I have had a fiddle and the review was ON and set to 5 seconds.
I put it off and on again and their is an image now but very dark.

Scrolling through the old images, some were clear and bright and some not. This means the screen is ok I guess ?
Does it mean that the lens may be at fault? If so I will try another lens and see what happens. Thank you both.
Do this test:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

And if it is ABF, then:
Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
04-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #11

Original Poster
Movie allows screen to work?

I have previously posted about the screen being dark on a k70. Thanks for all the feedback but I have decided to get it repaired in Australia. The shop I got it from is 120kms away but he will send it off and get the solenoid replaced for $250aud. As they are asking around $700 aud for them secondhand online, it is good value I think.
What I am confused about is why the screen is fine while taking videos on both my K70 and K 50, both of which have the dark screen issue? Is it that the aperture is open in video mode?
Any ideas?
04-28-2023, 11:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The screen "appears" dark i.e. as if you cannot see the take photo because the solenoid is stuck, that is why ABF is also called "dark image syndrome".
As I have explained in this test method:
often in LiveView-mode the Pentax "seems to work alright". This is because in LV mode the mirrow goes up, you see on the screen the "scene"

but metering is not correct because the solenoid doesn't move the aperture to f4,0 but remains stuck and thus your Pentax meters fully closed (f22 for example, depending on your lens).
The same applies for video-mode, the mirror goes up and you see the scene, metering is done with f22 or even higher depending on your lens.
The camera records at least for a while in LV and video-mode.
In all the tutorials etc I wrote I never mentioned video-mode because I never use it. So it never was in my "focus of attention"
04-29-2023, 12:49 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you again. I did wonder if it hat. I will make the trip to the camera shop and send it away.
I looked at white solenoids but they were refurbished and in the US so with freight and cost in AUD it is not a lot more to get a warrantied one fitted here.
The camera shop guy has a K70 and had the same problem and got it repaired but he swears by them for indoor work , he supplements his income with wedding and party photos.
04-29-2023, 01:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is an official repairshop, they should get the China Solenoid generation-3 and then it is fine.
04-29-2023, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The screen "appears" dark i.e. as if you cannot see the take photo because the solenoid is stuck, that is why ABF is also called "dark image syndrome".
As I have explained in this test method:
often in LiveView-mode the Pentax "seems to work alright". This is because in LV mode the mirrow goes up, you see on the screen the "scene"

but metering is not correct because the solenoid doesn't move the aperture to f4,0 but remains stuck and thus your Pentax meters fully closed (f22 for example, depending on your lens).
The same applies for video-mode, the mirror goes up and you see the scene, metering is done with f22 or even higher depending on your lens.
The camera records at least for a while in LV and video-mode.
In all the tutorials etc I wrote I never mentioned video-mode because I never use it. So it never was in my "focus of attention"

A very well stated, comprehensive and helpful commentary. Thanks very much.

Tony