Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2023, 06:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K70 missing ISO in finder

I have a student with a K70. In his OVF the ISO was always visible in the bottom right corner. For unknown reasons, it currently shows what I think is an EV value away from a normal exposure. How can he get the ISO to show again in the optical viewfinder?

04-06-2023, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don’t have a K-70, but I think all of the Pentax are similar in that several different values can be displayed in that spot, But I’m not really sure what triggers it to change. I notice it most when shooting in manual and it shows the exposure comp numbers, which is very useful. Sorry, I’m not with a camera right now, but possibly it changes with shooting modes.
04-06-2023, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Might the mode dial be set to the Manual mode? I don't have the K-70 either, but I do have the K-S2, which is the predecessor of the K-70 and has a very similar design. In the M mode, that part of the VF is taken up by the EV value according to the camera's meter reading of the lighting from which the lens is trained on. It will display a + or - with an EV figure to indicate how far off "0" (which is the meter's correct exposure reading), as currently is being read.

The ISO setting will still be displayed on the rear screen.
04-07-2023, 12:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Might the mode dial be set to the Manual mode? I don't have the K-70 either, but I do have the K-S2, which is the predecessor of the K-70 and has a very similar design. In the M mode, that part of the VF is taken up by the EV value according to the camera's meter reading of the lighting from which the lens is trained on. It will display a + or - with an EV figure to indicate how far off "0" (which is the meter's correct exposure reading), as currently is being read.

The ISO setting will still be displayed on the rear screen.
Yes, it appears to only occur in Manual mode, but the student swears in Manual mode until recently the ISO was in the OVF on the bottom right. So as far as the PF braintrust knows, there is nothing in the menu that can affect the viewfinder info to replace the EV value with the ISO?

04-07-2023, 01:17 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Yes, it appears to only occur in Manual mode, but the student swears in Manual mode until recently the ISO was in the OVF on the bottom right. So as far as the PF braintrust knows, there is nothing in the menu that can affect the viewfinder info to replace the EV value with the ISO?
Press the +/- button and the ISO will disappear and the compensation values will show in it's place, press it again and the ISO setting returns … it's all in the Operating Manual, see p18 and p59

Last edited by kypfer; 04-07-2023 at 01:28 AM.
04-07-2023, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Press the +/- button and the ISO will disappear and the compensation values will show in it's place, press it again and the ISO setting returns … it's all in the Operating Manual, see p18 and p59
This doesn't work in Manual mode. The Pentax engineers are right- one can already see the ISO on the rear screen, and the most important issue when shooting in the Manual mode is to adjust for correct exposure manually, for which the camera's meter reading display is essential to see. There is only so much room available in the VF. However, it is possible to replace one reading with another, and in this case it is the horizontal leveling display. On my KP this is activated or deactivated with a button on the camera body- quick and easy to do. My K-S2 does not have the advanced controls of the KP, so you have to go into menus to find the horizontal level display to turn it off. Then the room taken up by this display will now sport a graph indicating the camera's meter reading, which I prefer anyway, so the spot for ISO is then returned to that purpose.

Missing then is the leveling indicator. Choose which you would prefer to be missing! Keep in mind, with leveling shown, one can get a better idea of how the camera is tilted to best advantage, and still verify ISO on the rear screen! At least the choice is there.
04-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
However, it is possible to replace one reading with another, and in this case it is the horizontal leveling display. On my KP this is activated or deactivated with a button on the camera body- quick and easy to do. My K-S2 does not have the advanced controls of the KP, so you have to go into menus to find the horizontal level display to turn it off. Then the room taken up by this display will now sport a graph indicating the camera's meter reading, which I prefer anyway, so the spot for ISO is then returned to that purpose.

Missing then is the leveling indicator. Choose which you would prefer to be missing! Keep in mind, with leveling shown, one can get a better idea of how the camera is tilted to best advantage, and still verify ISO on the rear screen! At least the choice is there.
Mike: Are you saying this will work on the K-70 or just on the KS2?

04-08-2023, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

They should work the same regarding this matter.

The K-70 is basically an advancement of the K-S2 it replaced, in terms of a higher resolution sensor and a number of other upgrades, modifications, etc. But as to the basic features and main functions, pretty much the same. The new KF carries forward this same design. All have the swing-out rear screen concept and very similar controls. Don't ask me as to why the model names/numbers are so different when their concept is right in the same family. Pentax seems to always have had problems with the names/numberings being confusing, and of illogical progression, according to developing of models in the same category.

Nontheless, it is quite easy to see that the K-S2 was replaced by the K-70 as being in the same family of design, price range and usage- entry-level, amateur-oriented with "Scene" modes, etc. Yet for this class of camera, compared to those of Nikon and Canon, they offer much more advanced amenities, like a pro-style brighter glass pentaprism VF with 100% coverage and with high magnification, unlke Canikon's dimmer, smaller mirrorprism VF, and Pentax having both front and rear finger/thumb control dials, for just two examples.

These are great cameras, with unexpected features and capabilities for their class. As such, this also makes them desirable alternative models for use of their special feaures and for lighter traveling needs by those of us who are used to the upper-level Pentax models, in addition to being more attractive for first-time DSLR users.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-08-2023 at 01:16 PM.
04-11-2023, 08:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This doesn't work in Manual mode. The Pentax engineers are right- one can already see the ISO on the rear screen, and the most important issue when shooting in the Manual mode is to adjust for correct exposure manually, for which the camera's meter reading display is essential to see. There is only so much room available in the VF. However, it is possible to replace one reading with another, and in this case it is the horizontal leveling display. On my KP this is activated or deactivated with a button on the camera body- quick and easy to do. My K-S2 does not have the advanced controls of the KP, so you have to go into menus to find the horizontal level display to turn it off. Then the room taken up by this display will now sport a graph indicating the camera's meter reading, which I prefer anyway, so the spot for ISO is then returned to that purpose.

Thank you everyone for your input. Mike nailed the solution here according to the student. Mahalo nui loa!