Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #1

Converting Nikon mount lenses to a Pentax M42 bellows bayonet

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all, first post.
I have a problem with reverse mounting my El-Nikkor 50mm onto my newly acquired Asahi Auto bellows (made approximately 1972, not sure, estate sale). The bellows has M42 at each end. The camera end I have adapted correctly.
I can use the M42 55mm Takumar lenses that came with the bellows, in forwards and reverse, as they screw on with no issue, but I want to convert the lens-end M42 to something else I can use, preferably Nikon F mount, or anything I can adapt from there.
In the attached picture I sketch out the two possibilities that come to mind, but perhaps there are other solutions you could suggest.

The lens end of the bellows has an M42 female bayonet.

The camera is a Fujifilm X mount that I adapt to Nikon F and go from there with a Nikon reverser ring then filter ring connections. This end of things is not an issue as far as I understand.

Option 1 is to get a M42 reversing ring that would connect its M42 male bayonet to the bellows and have a 49/52/55mm male filter at the outward pointing end. This would then allow the El-Nikkor to use step-up rings to attach it in reverse onto the reverser ring. This reverser ring is not very common in NZ and I'd have to order it from overseas. I am doing something like this already for a setup without bellows using an F mount reverser ring onto an adapted Fuji body, so the basic concept is sound.

Option 2 is to get a Nikon (outward side) to M42 (inward side) mount adaptor. This would let me repeat what I'm doing now with my F mount, but with bellows in-between. However a Nikon (out) to M42 (in) adaptor in this direction seems very rare as it can't be used for non-reversed lenses and practically nobody wants or makes them. They do exist though. There are lots of M42 lens to Nikon mount adaptors, but that's in the wrong direction. Does anyone know where to get one?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to alternatives, combinations of other adaptors that are more common, or any clarifications about how this works? I'm only interested in macro, so issues with infinity focus are not relevant.

The PDF manual I have found for the bellows says that when you reverse the front plate you get a 52mm filter thread on the outside that you can connect things to (such as my 52-52 reverser ring), but I think I must have an earlier version of the bellows where this was not present, there's just some small screw that can't really connect or hold a reversed lens.

Let me know if there's any more information you need, or photos.

If you're a mod and this is in the wrong forum please move it somewhere more appropriate.

Attached Images

04-17-2023, 12:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Personally, I'd start with a different set of bellows
B.P.M. (and probably others) produced bellows with interchangeable mounts … ideal for this kind of inter-system macro work
04-17-2023, 03:52 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon F to M42 adapter:

Macro Nikon F mount AI Lens to M42 screw mount Pentax Zenit camera adapter | eBay

https://pixco.com.cn/products/nikon-f-m42-macro-adapter
04-17-2023, 03:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to change the front mount the easiest way is to Rob a body mount from a dead camera, or a teleconverter, from that system. It may take a little machining depending how the M42 is set into the end of the bellows. As kypfer suggests you may wish to start with a different bellows

04-17-2023, 07:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Camera Accessories, Filters & Tripods | SRB Photographic should be able to supply parts for your option 1. A combination of the M42 to 49mm reversing ring (49mm M42 Reversing Ring | SRB-Photographic.co.uk) and a 40.5-49mm Step-up Ring (SRB 40.5-49mm Step-up Ring | SRB-Photographic.co.uk) should work.
04-17-2023, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bthom Quote
Hi all, first post.

If you're a mod and this is in the wrong forum please move it somewhere more appropriate.
Hi, yourself! Welcome to PentaxForums!
I'm a mod, no need to move this post anywhere...good where it is. I see you've received some good suggestions already!
04-17-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

You might find the film era Nikon K series extension rings a source for project parts. The combine male and female Nikon F mounts with various lengths of extension tubes with 52mm threads. You can read more about them here: Extension Tubes - Nikon F2 Macro-photography

04-17-2023, 06:34 PM   #8

The Nikon to M42 adapter is sold on AU eBay as well. Ships from China.

-M42 For Macro Nikon Lens to M42 Screw Mount Adapter Zeiss Pentax Mamiya 813515424052 | eBay

A reverse ring is a workable solution but you would have to deal with step-up/down rings with lenses with different filter ring diameters.
04-17-2023, 11:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Personally, I'd start with a different set of bellows
B.P.M. (and probably others) produced bellows with interchangeable mounts … ideal for this kind of inter-system macro work
I'm in New Zealand and there's a lot of stuff you can't find here, including bellows. I thought it would be best to buy these ones when they came up in our version of eBay. I have a DIY solution that I've tested out in a basic form that should be adequate for now. I'll post a separate thread/reply to myself showing the setup.
04-18-2023, 12:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
You might find the film era Nikon K series extension rings a source for project parts. The combine male and female Nikon F mounts with various lengths of extension tubes with 52mm threads. You can read more about them here: Extension Tubes - Nikon F2 Macro-photography
Thanks for the link, it made interesting reading just to see the massive range of products Nikon made in this area. I have made a DIY interim solution from some parts I had. I'll post details.
04-18-2023, 12:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for these. I tried the first one earlier, but it doesn't list my country New Zealand as a shipping option.

The second one is the exact product I want, a good price, and says it has free shipping. I think China has some deal with some sort of international mail organisation for free shipping of packages, compared to very expensive shipping from US/UK to NZ. The order went through so everything looks good.

I will post details of my interim DIY solution as I don't know how long it will take to arrive from China.

---------- Post added 04-18-23 at 12:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
If you want to change the front mount the easiest way is to Rob a body mount from a dead camera, or a teleconverter, from that system. It may take a little machining depending how the M42 is set into the end of the bellows. As kypfer suggests you may wish to start with a different bellows
Thanks, that's an interesting option. I do happen to have an old film Nikon lying around that came with a lens I wanted. I'm not up to machining, and when I flipped the front plate around it is a complex arrangement. I have 2 SMC Takumar 55mm's that came with the bellows, which I will also work with for magnifications lower than the results I am getting than my workaround for my El-Nikkor. I'll leave the plate unaltered.

There have been several links suggested by other forum, one of which I've ordered from at a remarkably good total cost.

As a new user to these forums I am happily surprised at the speed and number of helpful suggestions.

---------- Post added 04-18-23 at 12:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Nikon to M42 adapter is sold on AU eBay as well. Ships from China.

-M42 For Macro Nikon Lens to M42 Screw Mount Adapter Zeiss Pentax Mamiya 813515424052 | eBay

A reverse ring is a workable solution but you would have to deal with step-up/down rings with lenses with different filter ring diameters.
Thanks. That is the product I need. I have just ordered an equivalent item that also ships from China.
I see your point about step up/down rings, but I would still have that problem as the first thing I would be attaching to the Nikon mount is my existing Nikon reversing ring. I have the rings I need already for my 40.5mm filtered Nikon Enlarger lens to 58mm -> 58mm and have been using it successfully without bellows.
04-18-2023, 12:52 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.
Here's what I'm doing in the interim, which by good luck happens to work well, but would not be a robust long term solution.

I've got a spare M42 extension tube that came with the bellows (a 20mm and a 25mm), a spare Nikon F mount from the end of a set of extension tubes, and a normally configured reversed El-Nikkor 50mm 2.8N that already works against F mount.
The m42 tube almost fits inside the F-mount from behind. For testing purposes I've just taped them together, then attached the extension tube to the bellows. Everything from the front-facing F-mount is then attached as a normal approach to reversing the El-Nikkor.
The quality is good, but my minimum magnification is 2.4:1, with the bellows fully closed.
I plan to file off the 1mm rim around the front of the extension tube so that it can sink inside and be glued to the F mount. This will save me about 1cm of extension and get a smaller minimum magnification. I will see how the F mount to M42 that I've ordered works out before I do any filing or gluing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950F  Photo 
04-18-2023, 04:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess what confuses me is why for a reversing ring, you are worried about adapting the Nikon one you have.

What about this

https://campaign.aliexpress.com/wow/gcp/tesla-pc-new/index?UTABTest=aliabtes..._id=1085100208
04-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #14

M42 reverse rings are equally easy to find on eBay Australia, usually with a choice of 49,52,55 or 58mm filter ring size:

Macro Reverse Adapter Ring for Pentax PK Mount Cameras 49m 52mm 55mm 58mm - Z373 | eBay
55mm for PENTAX Screw Mount Lens Reverse Adapter Ring NEW old store stock JAPAN | eBay
49mm for PENTAX-S Screw Mount Lens Reverse Adapter Ring NEW old store JAPAN | eBay

These reverse rings should mount directly to the bellows obviating the need for extension tubes and other adapters.
04-18-2023, 03:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess what confuses me is why for a reversing ring, you are worried about adapting the Nikon one you have.

What about this

https://campaign.aliexpress.com/wow/gcp/tesla-pc-new/index?UTABTest=aliabtes..._id=1085100208
That item involves using two lenses. A sample setup would be to have a 200mm zoom attached to camera body, this ring in its filter thread, and a 50mm reversed lens threaded onto the other side of the ring, pointing its normally hidden inner element outwards. This would give 4x magnification if the zoom was fully extended, 2x magnification if you set it to 100mm etc.
I have tried this out in another context without bellows and the idea works. You can end up with almost no working distance to subject, e.g. 10mm. The whole thing can be quite heavy and subject to vibration issues.
This [camera->long lens1 forwards->coupling ring<-short lens2 reversed] approach is an alternative to extension tubes / bellows. I haven't seen any discussion of using it with a bellows in front. It's an interesting idea, but I hope to avoid that.

I have ordered a Nikon to M42 adaptor, so will see how that goes.