Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2023, 06:38 PM   #1

O-gps2 won't lock

So I got the O-GPS2 unit for my Pentax K-70. It would never lock onto the satellites. (Amber light on unit blinking, red satellite on display for over an hour.) None of the calibration menu items were available either. So I exchanged it for a new unit. Still no luck.

At least this time I was able to calibrate it, but still no GPS lock. My firmware is up-to-date, and I've tried two separate, fresh batteries despite the low-battery-indicator being off.

Anyone else having these issues? Was there maybe a bad batch?

04-21-2023, 07:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What are your surroundings like? If you are under/near, say, a metal bridge, power lines, or in a city canyon of buildings, that's not so good. Relatively unobscured views of the sky are best, with minimal metal in the vicinity.

Try standing out in a wide-open field if that's an option, If it won't lock up them, you may have a defective unit.
04-21-2023, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
location?
04-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
What are your surroundings like? If you are under/near, say, a metal bridge, power lines, or in a city canyon of buildings, that's not so good. Relatively unobscured views of the sky are best, with minimal metal in the vicinity.

Try standing out in a wide-open field if that's an option, If it won't lock up them, you may have a defective unit.
At first, in a basement, but then I took it outside for an hour. Same with the replacement unit. Won't even sync outside, but phone does.

04-23-2023, 12:29 AM   #5

Camera calibration has nothing to do with GPS positioning information.
The calibration process senses the magnetic field at the actual position to find out the correct direction of magnetic north.
With other words, the camera knows the direction to the magnetic pole, but not the current location.
The GPS modul receives the time-signal from the satellites to calculate the position on the earth, but it does not know, in which direction the unit is looking. GPS systems without a compass (or other support like differential GPS) don’t know the direction without moving.

The calibration process will be disturbed by changing of the magnetic field (power lines, moving position of the unit, changing position or angle of magnetic material like metall housing of a display, electronic equipment near the magnetic sensor.).
The GPS can be disturbed by blocked view to the sky, selection of GPS provider (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo) or distortion of the signal by other electronic transmitters.
04-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try an empty field, at least 20 feet away from your vehicle. Give it 10-12 minutes. The first time it's used it has to get the emphermeris data from a satellite.

The phone is not a good comparison - it gets location data augmented by cell phone tower triangulation.
04-24-2023, 07:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Try an empty field, at least 20 feet away from your vehicle. Give it 10-12 minutes. The first time it's used it has to get the emphermeris data from a satellite.

The phone is not a good comparison - it gets location data augmented by cell phone tower triangulation.
Cell phone triangulation is only for a couple hundred yards around here. With GPS enabled I can tell what side of the driveway I am standing at.

04-27-2023, 11:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
Message from Ricoh

I got a message from Ricoh, they said to reset to camera to default in the wrench menu..

and it worked.

It still takes 30-60 seconds to lock onto satellites, but I think that's normal.

Thanks