Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #1

55 - 300 PLM Lens Hood

I just bought a new Pentax HD DA 55-300mm PLM lens. The attached lens hood is in a retracted position covering the outer end of the lens barrel. I’m not able to extend it outwards into position where it will actually do its job of blocking stray light from entering the lens. Does anyone have experience w/ this lens and the hood that comes w/ it? How do you extend / retract it? Thanks for any advice.

04-25-2023, 06:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you push the white button to unlock the lens?
04-25-2023, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lifeboat Quote
I just bought a new Pentax HD DA 55-300mm PLM lens. The attached lens hood is in a retracted position covering the outer end of the lens barrel. I’m not able to extend it outwards into position where it will actually do its job of blocking stray light from entering the lens. Does anyone have experience w/ this lens and the hood that comes w/ it? How do you extend / retract it? Thanks for any advice.
Take the hood off by gently screwing it clockwise (when pointing away from you), the reinstall it the right way by screwing it on counterclockwise. It will snap off and into a "locked" position.

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Did you push the white button to unlock the lens?
The button on mine is black like the rest of the lens.
04-25-2023, 06:23 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
he attached lens hood is in a retracted position covering the outer end of the lens barrel. I’m not able to extend it outwards into position where it will actually do its job of blocking stray light from entering the lens.
The hood is reverse mounted on the lens for storage. Here's how to mount it for use:
1. Looking from the front of the lens, turn the hood anti-clockwise until it disconnects from the lens.
2. When disconnected, turn the hood up the other way.
3. Line up either of the two dots at the base of the lens hood with the dot on the outside front of the lens and put the hood flush against the lens (so that it shades the front element of the lens)
4. Looking from the front of the lens, turn the hood clockwise until it clicks into position.

Then, as @ProfessorBuzz says, you need to push the (black) release button on the lens and turn it to the desired focal length between 55 and 300mm (marked in white on the lens). It won't focus until you have done this.

When storing the lens, reverse the procedure to reverse-mount the hood.

Many (most?) modern lenses have a reverse-mounted hood like this, rather than a retractable or fixed one.

Enjoy the lens.

(Edit: Tom beat me to it as he was more succinct!)

04-25-2023, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for those replies. The “thread on / thread off suggestion did it. Issue resolved.
04-25-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for those replies. The “thread on / thread off suggestion did it. Issue resolved.
Glad to hear it. Also, Welcome to Pentax Forums! You'll find a great deal of useful information and helpful members here. I hope you enjoy it!