Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-26-2023, 10:44 AM   #1

MX focusing problem

Hello everyone

So recently i bought a Pentax MX body and today the 1.7 50mm lens to go with it. The lens clearly has some focusing issues with the wheel not turning fully and being disconnected from the distance scale ring. However I've also noticed the image looking blurry no matter the focal distance, with the shutter speed preview dial inside the viewfinder being blurry even without the lens attached.
This is my first time with a mechanical slr and I'm wondering whether this is a body issue or whether it will resolve itself with a working lens. If it's a body issue do you have any potential solutions to try?

Thanks in advance

04-26-2023, 11:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WOJE Quote
Hello everyone

So recently i bought a Pentax MX body and today the 1.7 50mm lens to go with it. The lens clearly has some focusing issues with the wheel not turning fully and being disconnected from the distance scale ring. However I've also noticed the image looking blurry no matter the focal distance, with the shutter speed preview dial inside the viewfinder being blurry even without the lens attached.
This is my first time with a mechanical slr and I'm wondering whether this is a body issue or whether it will resolve itself with a working lens. If it's a body issue do you have any potential solutions to try?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like a problem with the camera to me. If the viewfinder shutter speed/aperture info seen through the viewfinder is blurry as well as the image, then something is amiss with the camera, as well as the lens issues.

I would check first that there is not a dioptre viewfinder overlay added to the viewfinder itself, but if not my suggestion would be to return the whole package to the seller for a refund and look elsewhere.
04-26-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely something wrong. The MX has the best viewfinder ever made at any camera or brand.
04-26-2023, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So! If the image inside the viewfinder looks blurry, even the shutter speed indicator, then that indicates that the diopter (read eye adjustment) of the view finder is different from normal vision from your eyes.

Either there a diopter adustment lens on the viewfinder, adjusting viewfinder optics away from it's standard value (plus or minus), or your eyes have a diferent dipoter rating than normal, again plus or minus.

Look for an additional fitting on the viewfinder or you may need to get your eyes checked and purchase the appropriate diopter adjuster. Usually you can get these off eBay. Usually they are called Pentax Diopter Adjuster M.

One of the benefits of modern digital cameras is that they generally come with a builtin diopter adjuster. Usually a slider or a dial adjacent to the viewfinder that when moved adjusts a lens element inside the viewfinder.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Chris

04-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #5

Perhaps there is a diopter correction viewfinder lens attached?