Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I pay too much?

Hi everyone
I joined a few weeks ago after bidding and winning a mint boxed K10d with lenses
It arrived last week but I didn’t want to touch it until I got a user guide- should be here tomorrow.
I’ve just won a F 50mm 1.4 smc
Am I right thinking there is a difference between the F and FA

What is the usual price for a used F 50/1.4?
I’ve had a look but can’t find what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance

05-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doormat Quote
Am I right thinking there is a difference between the F and FA
- None of real significance that I can recall.
Although, the F has better user rating. But also far less reviews.

What is the usual price for a used F 50/1.4?
- Varies quite a bit depending on location, and of course, the quality of the lens.
It would help if you mentioned what you paid and the condition of it.

These days, and with a bit of patience, you can get a good FA for "about" 100-150 USD.
The F would be around the same ballpark.

Last edited by Stefan Jr; 05-09-2023 at 01:44 AM.
05-04-2023, 08:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only difference between the F and FA, besides cosmetic, is the FA can provide MTF program line information to the camera.

The FA would be quite a bit more common, because it was produced for so many years...

QuoteQuote:
MTF information is communicated by the lens, not stored by the camera. Pentax F lenses do not provide this information and therefore do not support the MTF program line. The lens communication protocol was expanded in the FA series to add MTF information. MTF program line is available when using FA, FA J, D FA, DA, and DA L lenses, including all modern Pentax lenses.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/300390-technica...#ixzz80l4p9Lse
05-04-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies
I paid £125
The K10 came with 2 lenses
F 28-70 F4
F 70-210 F4-5.6 (??) bloody heavy
From the outset I only wanted this to be a 3 lens setup
2 zooms + fast prime

Is there a easy way to get the shutter count on windows?

05-04-2023, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The optical formula (shape of all the glass elements) is the same for A, F and FA lenses. You can see a difference in the coatings. In my opinion, you'd have to work pretty hard to show that coating difference in comparison photos. Outside of test shots, I doubt you'll see anything. The F series is less common and that can push prices up a bit. When the FA was discontinued, prices of $350 or more were typical, but that's come way down.

About paying too much, I try my best to stop looking at prices as soon as I buy. With a new camera especially, I know at some point, it'll be sold for far less. I paid $750 for my *ist DS and last year bought one for $25. If the lens works and is in good shape, take some good shots with it and the price won't matter.

Edit: I think you got a decent deal. This site has a shutter count somewhere, or just google shutter count and upload any jpg and you can get it easily.
05-04-2023, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a easy way to get the shutter count on windows?
You can use the shuttercount tool right here on PF. Or, go to myshuttercount.com

Congrats on the K10D - I own two! One is a dedicated m42 camera - I use Takumars and other screwmount lenses often.
05-04-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Again thanks for the near instant replies…WOW!!

I’m actually a canon guy… I hear the pitchforks!!

But I keep reading about CCD having a certain look, since canon is cmos I needed to look elsewhere.

Fully intend to use this K10, it wasn’t bought as a shelf queen.

Who knows, maybe my head will be turned

05-04-2023, 11:35 AM - 9 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We tried the pitchforks thing once but there were six of us in the Pentax mob and 2000 Canon users. We had to pretend we were lost cosplayers looking for a Comicon.
05-04-2023, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think if you come here asking questions that make sense, show some ability to listen, and don't talk about damaging Pentax lenses to fit onto Canon bodies you'll do just fine here.

You'll do just fine with that F-series 50. Go shoot the daylights out of the camera and come back with images to share. Best of luck.
05-04-2023, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It arrived last week but I didn’t want to touch it until I got a user guide- should be here tomorrow.
If you can't wait - you can get the K10D manual from Pentax itself (as well as other places, too - just do a search on "K10D manual"): Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

Scroll down the page to, and click on, "Discontinued Model" which will then show the K10D manuals (among others)
05-04-2023, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again thanks for the near instant replies…WOW!!

I’m actually a canon guy… I hear the pitchforks!!

Who knows, maybe my head will be turned
No pitchforks, not our gig here, unless you misbehave. We're confident your head will be turned, eventually. Many -- most? -- of us have experience with other brands. There's a reason we come back to Pentax. Welcome aboard!
05-04-2023, 09:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That’s Brilliant
Thank you
3 days off, hoping to catch some ‘me’ time and take a few pictures
There’s a bluebell woodland not 10mins walk away, I know it’s cliche, but baby steps…
05-05-2023, 07:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That’s Brilliant
Thank you
3 days off, hoping to catch some ‘me’ time and take a few pictures
There’s a bluebell woodland not 10mins walk away, I know it’s cliche, but baby steps…
You're welcome! I hope the bluebells are in full song -- er, bloom! Yes, indeed, baby steps. We've all taken them!
05-05-2023, 09:52 PM   #14

Have a great time with that K10D. I loved the time I spent with mine. That's a great lens setup for it.
05-07-2023, 12:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you
I went out yesterday (first time)
Nothing serious just snaps round the house/garden just to get the “feel” of it, yet when I viewed them on the laptop none were sharp? Also I think one of the batteries is a dud as it failed within 5mins? It won’t charge (red light goes off instantly?) I’ve ordered 2 off Amazon (£16)
The camera came with 2 batteries so will try again today.

I’ll be honest, I can’t lie, I was disappointed - for some reason I was expecting to be knocked out by this “ccd” magic. But I guess I might have been spoilt by canon colour science. The K10 files were nothing remotely inspiring.

But I’m going to keep trying, it’s definitely erm…primitive. Yet I do like the rugged build quality far better than my canon 400D (same vintage).

Edit:

I should add, somewhat embarrassingly…
In my arrogance I hadn’t read the manual I received, I wrongly “assumed” I could operate this vintage camera myself.
Just started reading the manual and clearly it seems I will probably be at fault.

Clearly the K10d was ahead of its time 18yrs ago, I’m humbled somewhat and will endeavour to try and get the best I can out of the K10d

Last edited by Doormat; 05-07-2023 at 04:21 AM.