Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
HDR on the K200D

Hello, I have read that you can do in camera HDR with both the K200d/K20d, I did go to the camera store to see how it is done but could not figure it out.. Any one try it??
Thanks
Kevin

Vision Is Seeing Beyond Your Sight!

01-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Pif

Review the photo once it is taken, then hit Fn, left on d-pad and down to HDR.
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pif Quote
Review the photo once it is taken, then hit Fn, left on d-pad and down to HDR.
Notice that the photo must be taken as jpg.
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I used the faux HDR a couple of time on my K20D and find it's not really worth much. I think the genuine HDR method is much better.

01-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This seems to be a somewhat common misconception about the K20D. The High Dynamic Rance function in the K20D "increases" the dynamic range captured. It does not "do" HDR in the sense of taking multiple exposures and then combining and tone mapping the resulting frames. Apples and oranges. We are talking about actually capturing more (or simulating capturing more) range as opposed to "constructing" more range through combining multiple exposures. Am I being clear?

It's like this... my film cameras also 'do' high dynamic range compared to my K10D, but that does not mean that it is taking three to five exposures and combining them. It simply means that more range is being captured. That's it.

The high dynamic range functionality in the K20D, from what I have seen, DOES indeed seem to be worthwhile. Search the forums for the multiple threads, some of which have shown samples. In bright highlight situations, I think I would default to having this "on."

woof
01-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually Woof, you are correct about the dynamic range option in the ISO menu. What's being discussed here is the HDR filter that can be accessed (along with other filters) by following Pif's directions.
01-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Actually Woof, you are correct about the dynamic range option in the ISO menu. What's being discussed here is the HDR filter that can be accessed (along with other filters) by following Pif's directions.
Heh. Sorry and thanks! Remember Roseanna Roseanna Danna?

"Never mind..."

woof!

01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!!!

I did find that option !! thanks for all your input.. And I do agree that the in camera HDR does a fairly nice job with the dynamic range. At least with my few shots..

Happy Shooting
Kevin
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #9

Wait, so HDR has to be done with jpeg? Not RAW photos...
01-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #10

Can someone go through this... step by step... I have the K200...

This is what I'm getting from what I'm reading above...

So, put it to JPEG pictures. THEN I change it it to the Bracket mode. (rather than Hi-continuous) Then I hit FN, then left, scroll down to Shutter adjust and take the picture...

Then the picture that comes up is bracketed? Or are their options that I can choose from with the picture that comes up?
01-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
Can someone go through this... step by step... I have the K200...

This is what I'm getting from what I'm reading above...

So, put it to JPEG pictures. THEN I change it it to the Bracket mode. (rather than Hi-continuous) Then I hit FN, then left, scroll down to Shutter adjust and take the picture...

Then the picture that comes up is bracketed? Or are their options that I can choose from with the picture that comes up?

Partly right.: Set the drive mode to autobracket, use the wheel to select how far apart the exposure settings will be, hit ok, compose your shot, hold the shutter release untill all 3 shots have been taken, transfer to your pc and use your favorite photo editor to merge the HDR image.

The other part you mentioned(left, scroll down to Shutter, adjust and take picture...) is how you manualy set your white balance, and the resulting image is to confirm and make adjustments, but has nothing to do with HDR and shouldn't be fooled with unless you know what you're doing or just want to play around.

What's being discussed here is the cameras HDR filter and/or(more specificaly) D-Range setting. The first is applied in the playback menu after the image has been shot.
The other is in the ISO Menu and is found by pressing Function - Right - Function.

I haven't played with either of these on the K200, but can say with certainty that neither will yeild an "HDR" image. But, either or both might help to gain a little more detail from high contrast situations.
02-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #12

Excellent thread. I just wanted to say that I do enjoy using the in camera HDR on the K200D as it does seem to provide just another fun and interesting thing to try out. Next time you are out shooting, just take a photograph and apply the HDR from the Function menu, left, move down to HDR. It's really interesting at times and you'll get the hang of it quick.
02-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

someone mentioned you have to take the image as a jpg. That is not correct. You can shoot all your images as RAW, then "develop" them in-camera and save off a copy as a jpeg, all in-camera, and then apply the HDR filter (or whatever other filter you please).

I sometimes forget they are there, but it's pretty nifty feature. I did quite a few neat things when I took a few family pictures last year and was 6 hrs away from my computer. Saved as jpegs and put them on my brother's computer. Worked out very nicely.