Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2023, 05:21 PM - 16 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers Beginners Tip 72: Flat Lighting in Portraits

Good morning all. I think we all have a weird friend. One of mine has covered his body in tattoos of Star Wars characters.

You should see the Luke on his face.

I also have a lousy mechanic.

I picked up my car from a service, and he told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

This week I want to talk about beauty lighting.

If we angle or cut light to create shadows, that's great for additional drama but can be cruel on people with unkind facial features or skin textures, because it enhances them.

The opposite principle is to light from all directions filling in the shadows. It is flattering to our older subjects because wrinkles disappear. It is very common when showcasing makeup products or artistry, and for headshots in the acting profession. Overexposure is common, too, to further obliterate blemishes and make the image more two dimensional, but I haven't done that in the example below.

You can achieve this flat lighting with a very large light source in front, or something like a ring light (Youtube vloggers often go for that one), or one light from slightly above paired with a reflector from below ... the goal is the same, you can see my example with the K-1 and Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro.

To finish with, there's the story of the elderly man who walks into a parish confessional.

The man tells the priest: 'I am 92 years old, have a wonderful wife of 70 years, many children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Yesterday, I picked up two college girls, hitchhiking. We went to a motel, where I had sex with each of them three times.'

'Are you sorry for your sins?' the priest asked.

The old man said, 'What sins? '

The astounded priest asked, 'What kind of a Catholic are you?'

'Oh, I'm Jewish.' the old man replied.

'So what are you doing here, and why are you telling me all this?'

'Buddy, I'm 92 years old ... and I'm telling everybody.'

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

05-04-2023, 06:57 PM - 8 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice example.
And a Star Wars joke. May the 4th be with you.
05-04-2023, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Nice tips. I went to confession once, ya, took all day...
05-05-2023, 03:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which naturally leads to the next tip about Rembrandt lighting for portraits.

05-07-2023, 03:50 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Which naturally leads to the next tip about Rembrandt lighting for portraits.
Good suggestion, but the next one will be the same topic, but for those without flashes or strobes. Can definitely be done!
05-15-2023, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Good tips and your jokes alone are worth the price of admission.

My favourite shadowing lighting tip...is holding a flashlight under my chin...to get that '30's Boris Karloff Frankenstein 'look'. I know, not much of a trick...
05-15-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good tips and your jokes alone are worth the price of admission.

My favourite shadowing lighting tip...is holding a flashlight under my chin...to get that '30's Boris Karloff Frankenstein 'look'. I know, not much of a trick...
Yep, it's good for drama or melodrama, all depends on us with arranging our shot!