Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2023, 02:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Link to smc F 50mm 1.4 wanted

Hi everyone

I recently bid and won what was described as a Pentax smc F 50mm 1.4 - Not F A

It’s due to arrive tomorrow (maybe the day after)
I’m chomping at the bit, I’ve searched the web for articles on this F 50/1.4 but can find nothing….everything leads to the FA.

So, are they actually different lenses or do people generally omit the A and just use the F in describing.

If anyone has a link I’d be very much appreciative.

Thanks

Update :
The seller only listed 2 pictures, neither were very clear. I took screenshots and tried to edit the pictures best I can using my phone.

---------- Post added 05-08-23 at 02:32 AM ----------

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Last edited by Doormat; 05-08-2023 at 02:35 AM.
05-08-2023, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The F series ran for a number of years before the FA series. Although I have never used any F lenses, they are very highly regarded by those who do.

Your F 50mm 1.4 has exactly the same optical specification as the FA 50mm 1.4 that replaced it...... 7 elements in 6 groups. Coatings may have improved slightly between the two versions, but in normal use you wont notice. Enjoy the lens, it looks a great example

Last edited by pschlute; 05-08-2023 at 03:07 AM.
05-08-2023, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #3

The Fs and FAs were distinct lens series, very well summarised in the database on this site. I have the F50mm/1.4 and it's excellent. My go-to "nifty fifty" for autofocus cameras. I also have the F28mm/2.8 and F100mm/2.8 Macro and they are both likewise excellent.
The Fs may look a bit "plasticky", but as soon as you use one, you realise it's just the look. Build quality is actually very good.
The only real niggle with these lenses is the very narrow focusing ring right out at the end of the barrel which makes manual focusing feel awkward (though it works well enough). It means these lenses are a lot less fun to use on manual focus cameras.

Last edited by ptermx; 05-08-2023 at 04:00 AM.
05-08-2023, 04:39 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only have the F-series 35-80 zoom lens. From the pictures it seems to have a similar style focusing ring as the F50/1.4. Except in the F50 the ring is also knurled, which should make it even better. I find the F-zoom also works really well as a manual focus lens. The short focusing throw makes it very quick and effortless to focus. Nowadays I like the "AF-style" focusing even more than the long throw in dedicated manual focus lenses.

05-08-2023, 04:47 AM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I take it you haven't found the reviews here on PF
Here ya go;
SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4 Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

and

SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.4 Reviews - F Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have the FA but prefer to use earlier (A) series ones and the Takumars.
05-08-2023, 06:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the FA version which has more plastic parts but is optically the same. I also own an F version of the f1.7 50mm. Both are pleasant to use.
05-08-2023, 07:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone
I’ve just found and bought a original 30 page Pentax brochure just on the F line up of lenses…£5 inc postage.

@GUB cheers for the links

My eyesight isn’t very good, if I can get a diopter I’ll try one of the older manual lenses, guessing swapping the focusing screen for split image would also be advantageous.

Or, just put the Pentax on the shelf and reach over for my canon gear - lol

Determined to keep this as a 3 lens set up.

05-08-2023, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It is one of the best lenses I own, bought it with my SFX. It is a bit noisy when using AF, but that is what most F-lenses do. I guess that this lens is better than the FA. It is a very good build, but you may dislike the colour, but the colours it produces are excellent. Some people say the body is plastic, but it is not, it is metal. It is a real AF hence the small focusing ring. You could have done worse.
05-08-2023, 07:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks
The 50 completes my planned trio
Sadly it looks like the 28-70 f4 that came with the camera may have fungus??
I shone a torch through and it looked sparkling, yet the few test shots I took were anything but. So I removed it from the camera, removed the UV filter, set the lens to 28mm then with the rear element close to my eye I turned the front focus ring… sure enough it instantly showed a lens somewhere in the optical train was covered in a film like substance, slightly splotchy- looks a bit like condensation that’s been left to dry.
No doubt that will probably explain the crap pictures the K10 has been delivering. The camera also has the bigger F 70-210 4.5-5.6 (??) I checked that the same way and it looks perfect.

It’s raining heavy so probably won’t get a chance to try today.
05-08-2023, 08:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Others will disagree, what I'm going to suggest is horrible, etc etc take this for a grain of salt;

I would suggest, if you want to use manual focusing lenses, to use them on a mirrorless digital camera. The focusing aids are varied and extremely useful, metering is much less of an issue (not an issue at all in my experience), and you can get adapters for all sorts of lens while staying with the same body. I have been doing this with a Fuji but there are lots of options out there. I would not bother with changing the focusing screen in and out of a Pentax DSLR and dealing with how it may affect metering and the general nuisance of it.

If there's autofocusing k-mount glass that you like, by all means, shoot it on a Pentax. Anything else, you have other options available, it just takes money and a willingness to see what's out there.
05-08-2023, 08:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I would suggest, if you want to use manual focusing lenses, to use them on a mirrorless digital camera. The focusing aids are varied and extremely useful, metering is much less of an issue (not an issue at all in my experience), and you can get adapters for all sorts of lens while staying with the same body.
Did I miss something? The only lenses mentioned so far are all autofocus. F 70-210, F 28-70, F 50/1.4

Manual focus is both easier and less natural on my mirrorless systems. I have a split screen catzeye in one Pentax camera and it does help but getting it calibrated can be a chore. By all indications the k3iii and K1 make manual focus easier with the large and bright viewfinder.
05-08-2023, 08:43 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Others will disagree
Well i for one will disagree.

I use manual focus lenses on Pentax DSLRs a lot and it is a breeze. I did use a split screen on my *istDS and K10D, but since I bought a camera with Live View, the latter is the gold standard for accurate focussing. Zoom the view to 100% and never miss focus again. Even with the viewfinder you can fine tune the AF indicator to give you confirmation with a manual lens, if your eyes are not up to the task.

Metering with a manual lens is done by one press of one button (green button- stop down metering), or you can activate the meter with the DOF preview button and choose your own -/0/+ exposure the scene requires. The latest aps-c model Pentax K3 III even does the stop down metering for you so you can use Av mode.

Could not be simpler.
05-08-2023, 08:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Did I miss something? The only lenses mentioned so far are all autofocus. F 70-210, F 28-70, F 50/1.4

Manual focus is both easier and less natural on my mirrorless systems. I have a split screen catzeye in one Pentax camera and it does help but getting it calibrated can be a chore. By all indications the k3iii and K1 make manual focus easier with the large and bright viewfinder.
Vanya: Yeah, the OP this morning wrote "My eyesight isn’t very good, if I can get a diopter I’ll try one of the older manual lenses, guessing swapping the focusing screen for split image would also be advantageous." Seems like he's got an interest in using manual focus glass as mentioned in this thread.

to pschlute: "Metering with a manual lens is done by one press of one button (green button- stop down metering), or you can activate the meter with the DOF preview button and choose your own -/0/+ exposure the scene requires. The latest aps-c model Pentax K3 III even does the stop down metering for you so you can use Av mode.

Could not be simpler." - I don't have to do any of this, I just leave the camera in auto-ISO mode and let it meter at the time of taking the shot. It's easier than using the green button on the Pentax and it's more accurate.

To the OP: By all means try this with your Pentax but it can be easier on a mirrorless if you want to use manual glass. That's all that needs to be said at this point.
05-08-2023, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to clarify
The ONLY reason so far for buying the K10 was this so called magic from the 10mp CCD.
As mentioned elsewhere I’m mainly canon, with a huge collection of bodies, lenses, flash etc etc
But it’s all cmos based. Hence buying the k10 with 3 lenses.

I’ve shot vintage lenses on my canon m stuff, only have 3 or 4.
But it’s much easier and more efficient to just use canon optics….they all communicate seamlessly.
At the minute I’m covering sons football matches using the 5d3 plus ef 100-400ii
I don’t have much spare time between working, taking soccer shots, editing <groans HATE it> and general family life. But the footy season is just about finished, I’ll hang up the 5d3 then really try to see what all the fuss is about CCD.
05-08-2023, 10:40 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

They do, and the K3III is particularly manual-lens friendly.