Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
ajaxmgr

shutter speeds

I just purchased a K20D. The last camera I purchased 20 years ago was a 35 mm Cannon. I am not understanding the manual and would like some help knowing how to set my shutter speeds for fast action shots. Thanks in advance for your help, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

01-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know that the K20 has more options than my DS but to shoot in shutter speed priority for my camera, I use the Tv mode. This allows you to set the shutter speed (the larger the number the faster the speed) and the camera will adjust the lens aperature for the exposure. You adjust shutter speed with one of the thumb wheels on your camera (I believe the K20 has more than one wheel - mine doesn't).

Hope this helps a little.

Tim
01-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajaxmgr Quote
I just purchased a K20D. The last camera I purchased 20 years ago was a 35 mm Cannon. I am not understanding the manual and would like some help knowing how to set my shutter speeds for fast action shots. Thanks in advance for your help, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Use either manual or Tv (which stands for "time value) You then use a control wheel to set shutter speed.
If you are in manual, you will have to use the other control wheel to set aperture until the light meter indicates correct exposure, if you are in Tv, the camera will set the aperture.
You can also do this from the P setting by using the control wheels to bias the program line.
Note, you cannot do any of this from the green auto mode.

Im not going to go near what you need to do if you are using pre A series lenses, as you haven't indicated you are using one.
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It's the same as in the old days, the faster the action, the faster the shutter speed, that bit hasn't changed with DSLR's

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-03-2009 at 03:31 AM.
01-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
ajaxmgr

got er done

thanks for your input. I got out today and tonight at some soccer games and got some pretty decent shots. I really appreciate your help
01-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Does this thread belong in the Knowledge Base section?