Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2023, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Extension tube advice please

Hi

Recently bought a used K10d
Have 2 lenses 28-70f4 & 70-210 f4-5.6. I’ve just bought but not yet received the Pentax AF 540FGZ (??) plus a 3rd party off camera flash cord.

I’m particularly interested in tackling macro.

Can someone suggest, maybe even give a link (Amazon? Or eBay?) for a suitable extension tube please. Ideally I’d like auto tubes for automatic aperture stop down and TTL metering. Not so bothered about AF but will consider.

I do have a extensive canon set up (I’m mainly a canon shooter) along with proper canon macro lenses, however I’m keen to see what this K10 can deliver…it’s reignited my passion, something about its quirkiness that has hit a spot… fact is I’ve not touched my canons since the Pentax arrived!! Oops

05-14-2023, 04:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think there are currently any extension tubes available new for Pentax K mount, AF, Auto Aperture or otherwise. You will have to resort to the 2nd hand market. I have one - just a cheap 3rd party one but it works well. It is AF. Not sure of the brand because I don't have it to hand. Having said that I'm pretty sure most of the extension tubes that have been available, the AF ones anyway, were basically all the same. Just branded differently. I think mine is a TelePlus?!?. Not that it matters much as there is no glass in them.
05-14-2023, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simple way is to grab a cheap 2x teleconverter with A -series contracts and remove the glass elements.

However… extension tubes are only one of the ways to approach macro. Using add-on high quality Close up lenses (filters) to the front of the lenses preserves all function and can be higher quality.

This site is a great resource: Extreme Macro Photography
05-14-2023, 04:24 AM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have a Canon with a macro lens then you are going to be very disappointed with a pair of old kit zooms on tubes. Don't go blaming the Pentax for the mismatch. A m42 takumar prime can still be had for under $100 and m42 tubes and a reversing ring are close to free. An all manual setup which is no compromise with the exception of focusing stopped down on a camera with no live view.

05-14-2023, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can buy extension tubes in all price ranges. I recommend not spending too much money on them as they are simply hollow tubes. Don’t worry about electronics as you will find that with macro, you will want to work in full manual mode. As Uncle Vanya mentioned, you can also de-glass an old teleconverter.

Other options include close-up filters — Raynox are very nice and with their clip-on attachment method are not lens diameter specific. Also consider a reversed lens — the shorter, the greater the magnification. This requires only an adapter ring. Since the adapter ring attaches to the camera (or extension tubes), you can use a lens from any brand.
05-14-2023, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

I guess canon has spoilt me.

But I’m going to persevere
05-14-2023, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Caruba Extension Tube Pentax Chrome : ET PC reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Is still new available, with all contacts for newest lenses....

If you buy second hand, there are tubes

- Without anything but a pentax mount , hence fully manual (most bellows fall in this category)
- With aperture lever, hence named auto in the old days, but only working on pentax k and m lenses (hence only auto aperture on old lenses)
- With aperture lever and the contacts in the mount ( the 7 little balls) and screwdrive focus ( hence auto aperture and focus on many but newest lenses with electric focus)
- With aperture lever and the contacts in the mount ( the 7 ittle balls) and screwdrive focus and the 2 additional contacts in inner mount for newest lenses with electric focus motors (sdm,hdm,plm,...types)

In UK this is a good start for secondhand shops, it seems to list most of tbem: Used Cameras and Lenses - Price Comparison
Link is filtered on pentax ext tube

05-14-2023, 08:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For extension tubes and or teleconverters that you are going to remove the elements from, KA series are the best. Because you get aparture data from the lens, but K series are OK, If you either get chromed mounts, or sand the paint / anodizing off the mount in the area of the contacts on the body, k10 and later bodies won’t stop down or even trip the shutter of the lens contacts are not shorted to the mount to say something is attached.
05-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bear in mind that deglassed tc tubes may reduce maximum aperture slightly due to a narrower opening. This is on top of losses from the extension itself.
05-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Do not forget that an extension tube will increase enlargement but, if your lens is not sharp enough, sharpness will not increase. It is also true for teleconverters.

Unfortunately, there are currently no brand new extension tube sets on the market because no company seems interested by this niche product (there is one exception but the product is very cheap, I bought one and almost never used it). This is why used extension tubes, in K mount, are expensive, and are more expensive in KA mount.
You will have to be patient and google €bay and other specialized sites. However, I finally bought a used Jessops KA set, it is always useful to own one. See above, the middle set:
05-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've done exactly as mentioned already, de-glassing an A-series 2x Pentax teleconverter. These are cheap and common. With my M-series 75-150 f4 zoom I get great macro photos, but this lens is quite sharp making it a good match for this sort of thing and the zoom makes for a pretty versatile package. With some lenses the reduction in focusing distance creates a challenge or actually unusable package.

I preferred going with a de-glassed TC as they're cheap and don't take up much space and they're simple. There are 3rd party macro lenses out there for not a lot of money that are also nice and may be more useful depending on what glass is around. Could be a case to make for something like a DA 50 1.8 purchased used in good condition plus one of these TC's; you'd get a macro and a bright short-tele lens together.
05-14-2023, 11:29 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh WOW!! Was not expecting so many helpful responses.

A huge thanks to you all for your contribution.

I learnt from using canon that AF is pointless with macro, I had far more success switching to MF and moving Backwards/Forwards.

I trust the K10 & AF 540FGZ will communicate (TTL??) via the JJC off camera cord.

In past attempts with canon I usually set the aperture for depth of field and the shutter speed for the ambient light, I then just used flash exposure compensation usually it was -2.
Sorry forgot to add the flash was heavily diffused, either with a white carrier bag or layers of kitchen roll ! or both!!

Once I got the exposure near enough, it usually worked for most subjects provided I kept the subject-sensor distance the same.

So, will this approach work on the Pentax kit I have??

Do you think I’m better of de-glassing a teleconvertor then?

Again, a big thank you to you all.

What a great place this is

---------- Post added 05-14-23 at 11:39 AM ----------

I’ll try to find my best macro I took a few years ago. I absolutely love macro as my eyes are not very good, the macro allows me to see the details that I otherwise would not.

---------- Post added 05-14-23 at 11:45 AM ----------

The top shot was a absolute fluke, it flew off as I took the picture, heavens knows how it stayed in focus.
That was the canon 5dii with the 60mm ef-s lens plus 12mm ext tube.

---------- Post added 05-14-23 at 11:50 AM ----------

If I’m shooting macro with aps-c I tend to use the pop up flash. Basically because it saves me ensuring I have batteries for the separate flash gun.
I made a diffuser that I clip over my pop up, that was used in those other shots above.
I have a picture somewhere on my phone, I’ll try to upload to show you… hang on…
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 70D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 70D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 70D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE (1st generation)  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 

Last edited by Doormat; 05-14-2023 at 11:59 AM.
05-14-2023, 12:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Over the years, I tried several flashes including the internal one, a Sigma 500 DG Super, a Metz ring flash.
I also used the Sigma flash on a macro bracket and of course I tried many DIY diffusers, commercial diffusers (e.g., Gary Fong diffuser), etc.

I finally bought a 100% manual dual-head flash, a Laowa KX-800, and it appeared to be an excellent idea and investment: I almost always use it when I take macro photos (mainly because the region I live in is windy).
05-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
…..Goes off to read up on Laowa KX-800.

Like Alice, I’m about to fall down a rabbit hole…a deep hole I fear !!

Edit:

EEK!! I won’t be falling down THAT hole!! How much????
Oh my.. I was expecting sub£100 at most….
Ouch!!
05-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want high mag macro, buy a $20 adapter and reverse mount a cheap (k or m series) 35 or 28mm lens.
No lens contacts obviously, but no light loss in ext tubes either