Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2023, 11:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help !! Firmware k10d

I recently bought a Pentax K10d
I’d like to update the firmware, it’s currently ver1.0
I typed Pentax K10D firmware which took me to Ricoh ??

I’ve downloaded the file
k10e131w

But I can’t seem to open it to either extract the file I need or read the read.me instructions for downloading.

I’m not in the slightest computer savvy, yet I’ve managed to update the firmware on all my canon bodies and lenses.

My laptop is running Windows 10 if that’s relevant.

Can someone please guide me step by step as to how I update the firmware please.

05-15-2023, 11:38 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Her you go.....https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/k10d_s.html
05-15-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That’s where I downloaded from, but I can’t find how to open/extract the Bin file or the “read me” pdf
I tried just drag and drop onto the sd card hoping the camera would “see” it, but without the instructions I don’t know what I need to operate/activate on the K10 for it to download the firmware off the sd card.

Like I said previously I’ve done dozen or so canon bodies and 5 or 6 stm lenses no problem. But I can’t actually open the Pentax download to extract or know how I upload to the K10 ??
05-15-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to open or extract the bin file. Just download the "macintosh" version from the link above, extract the zip, and then copy the bin file directly to the root of your SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It’s a pc not Mac sorry.
I can’t find how to extract? I’ve tried right click but the extract option isn’t there. I’ve tried opening in Explorer but it doesn’t recognise it.

Sorry, I’m just totally stumped. If the program was designed to be opened in xp would that explain the issues I’m having?? As this is win10

---------- Post added 05-15-23 at 12:34 PM ----------

Does the K10 recognise the new firmware once sd is inserted and the camera switched on? or do I need to hold menu and switch on to prompt the download??

Last edited by Doormat; 05-15-2023 at 12:42 PM.
05-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doormat Quote
I can’t find how to extract? I’ve tried right click but the extract option isn’t there. I’ve tried opening in Explorer but it doesn’t recognise it.
I think that you have downloaded the .exe (executable) file. Double click on the file name to extract two files: readme.txt (text) and .bin.

Does the K10 recognise the new firmware once sd is inserted and the camera switched on? or do I need to hold menu and switch on to prompt the download??
The readme.txt file should give the instructions you need. If they're not clear, please continue to ask here. Firmware updates have stumped quite a few folks.

- Craig
05-15-2023, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorted,
thanks everyone 👍🏻

It was different to canon
I had to copy to SD, then open sd to find the read me files plus the .bin firmware. With canon I just dragged & dropped and the canon sorted it.

Reason I wanted it updated is because I received a used AF540FGZ today and read the K10 pop up flash can control the 540gun wirelessly with firmware v1.10 or later

Tbh, I suspect this camera has had very very little use. If the firmware was still on ver1, it was one owner from new, boxed and she did say it’s hardly ever been used, hence why she was selling it.

My battery grip should be here by the weekend.

Getting giddy !! 😁

Last edited by Doormat; 05-15-2023 at 01:34 PM.
05-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Per the quoted instructions from the Ricoh site below, you should download the Windows file (exe). After you have downloaded it to your computer, double click with your left mouse button to extract the two files. Copy the file with the bin extension to the root of your SD card, and use the SD card in your camera to perform the firmware update. Please follow instructions for the update and make sure your battery is charged enough to perform the update. As has been said, the readme.txt file will contain update procedure instructions also.

Beginning of Quote

Download the updated firmware file
For Windows : k10e131w.exe --- 1,600 Kbytes, LHA type, self-extracting files
For Macintosh : k10e131m.zip --- 1,521 Kbytes, zip type
Extract downloaded file
The following two files will be generated once the downloaded file is extracted by double-clicking.

readme.txt: The text file that explained update procedure in details.
fwdc162.bin: This is the updated firmware.
Copy fwdc162.bin file to SD card
After formatting the SD card, copy the fwdc162.bin file to the route directory of the SD card.

End of Quote

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-15-2023 at 01:49 PM.
05-15-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^ what @C_Jones said.
To simplify matters, I would use a completely blank SD card for the update. Be sure to read the readme.txt completely and follow instructions exactly.
05-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That’s where I downloaded from, but I can’t find how to open/extract the Bin file or the “read me” pdf
I tried just drag and drop onto the sd card hoping the camera would “see” it, but without the instructions I don’t know what I need to operate/activate on the K10 for it to download the firmware off the sd card.

Like I said previously I’ve done dozen or so canon bodies and 5 or 6 stm lenses no problem. But I can’t actually open the Pentax download to extract or know how I upload to the K10 ??
All the instructions are on the page I linked to
05-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are looking for a ~100 prime there are not a lot of options between 50 and 100mm.

For Takumar, you are somewhat limited to the 85/1.8 or 85/1.9 lenses.
There is also a Russian made 85 (Jupiter I think).
You could also look for a tamron 90/2.5 macro
05-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One little oh-BTW... since at least Windows 7, probably before that, the wretched OS installs with file extension (*.exe, *.zip, etc.) display off, by default. For whatever reason -- known only to MS engineers -- they do not want you to see file extensions. This is the first thing I customize, yes, display file extensions! Without them, you have no idea if you have an executable (*.exe) file (you can just double-click on it), or a ZIP archive (to be extracted), or something else altogether.
05-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
This is the first thing I customize, yes, display file extensions!
Yes! I did the same when I was a Windoze user...
05-16-2023, 07:14 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Yes! I did the same when I was a Windoze user...
Not the place for an OS discussion, but I loathe it. I use it, but loathe it. Luddite that I am, I'm still using Win7. Don't tell Microsoft!
05-16-2023, 12:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tbh, I suspect this camera has had very very little use.
You can check the shutter count here:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date