Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Mirror Lockup M.UP greyed out on K-1

Attempting to shoot with ND filter and adjust K-1 accordingly including activating Mirror Lock Up (M.UP), but that option is greyed out. Tried different mode settings (e.g., AV, TV, etc) and no luck. Manual states that function not available in Live View, but the only way to set the feature is in... Live View! Any help appreciated, thanks!

05-21-2023, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morepower Quote
Manual states that function not available in Live View, but the only way to set the feature is in... Live View!
MLU is not an option in LV because the mirror is already up

MLU is only available, and indeed useful, when using the viewfinder.
05-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
MLU is not an option in LV because the mirror is already up

MLU is only available, and indeed useful, when using the viewfinder.
Right, but I am attempting to activate the feature to avoid camera shake during a long exposure.
05-21-2023, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

You can use 2 second self timer, or turn on electronic shutter on menu page 2 (just be aware that disables some other things).

Self timer closes the shutter, turning off live view, puts the mirror up and takes the shot 2 seconds later.
ES relies on the fact the mirror is up and doesn't close the shutter and reopen it to start the exposure.

05-21-2023, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right, but I am attempting to activate the feature to avoid camera shake during a long exposure.
Use the timer in LV, the mirror will be up
05-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manual states that function not available in Live View, but the only way to set the feature is in... Live View! Any help appreciated, thanks!
What do you mean "the only way to set the feature"?

When using ND filters I'm usually in M-Mode; I add exposure time according to the used filter strength to the initial exposure reading without the filter.
After I added the filter I check focus in LV with magnification, I turn off LV and take the picture with the help of MLU (when using back button focus nothing else is needed, otherwise you might have to switch the focus lever from AF to MF before taking the image to prevent the AF from messing up the image / I am not sure about that though as I often use manual focus lenses and I only use back button focusing)

Last edited by othar; 05-21-2023 at 02:36 PM.
05-21-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the timer in LV, the mirror will be up
And using this option with the timer avoids possibly shaking the camera while pushing the shutter button.

05-22-2023, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

1) MLU option is greyed out because the mirror is already up in live view. It's not a bug and malfunction.

2) Mirror lock up doesn't prevent camera shake. MLU prevents vibration occurring when the mirror goes up and hit the upper part of the mirror box before the shutter opens. Also, M.LU has not meaningful vibration reduction effect on exposures longer than about 1 second because the vibration induced by mirror bounce lasts a fraction of a second at the beginning of exposure and the contribution of light changes during that fraction of the exposure time is negligible relative to the total light collected over the whole exposure. To confirm that MLU is beneficial or not, you can take two times the same long exposure photo, one exposure with MLU enabled (or live view) and one exposure without MLU, compared the two pictures without exif or file name (blind test). If you can't tell which one was taken with MLU enabled that means MLU had no beneficial effect.
05-22-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K-1ii (latest firmware) it is available as an option in P Av and Tv mode. It shouldn’t be greyed out.
05-22-2023, 06:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
On my K-1ii (latest firmware) it is available as an option in P Av and Tv mode. It shouldn’t be greyed out.
It will be grayed out in Live View
05-22-2023, 06:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
MLU prevents vibration occurring when the mirror goes up and hit the upper part of the mirror box before the shutter opens
I did some experimentation a few years back and found that the K-1's issue was that in certain circumstances shutter shock can be an issue, and induce blur into the photo. For me at least it was only evident when using a long footed lens on a tripod (lens attached via the foot), and only in the range of speeds 1/30-1/180. I could replicate the issue quite easily, and it could be avoided by using Electronic Shutter in Live view. From the tests I did, the MLU made no difference at all.
05-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I did some experimentation a few years back and found that the K-1's issue was that in certain circumstances shutter shock can be an issue, and induce blur into the photo.
Shutter shock doesn't matter for long exposures, the vibration ripple lasts 1/100 to 1/25th of a second, that's 1 to 4% of the total light hitting the sensor for a duration of 1 second assuming exposure is 1 second. When I shoot night skies for 30 s. to 2 minutes in bulb mode, I don't even bother using a remote trigger or delay, I just press the shutter button, the camera moves for a second or two but then the shutter is open for 30 seconds or more.