Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 300mm scare

A couple of weeks ago my DA* 300mm focus began to stick on my K1-II - it would only move around close to infinity, but would actually focus well for distance shots. Manual focus was also really hard, just didn't want to move towards close focus at all, so I thought this was a major concern, expected to find an SDM failure.

I thought maybe I needed to convert to screw drive, so I pulled out my K5-II (with the damaged SD card slot) to see if I could use that to make the conversion. However the lens started to behave perfectly again. I swapped back to the K1-II and it's back to normal.

Posting this in case anyone else has a similar problem, as it's worth a try before taking more drastic measures.

05-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeprotts Quote
A couple of weeks ago my DA* 300mm focus began to stick on my K1-II - it would only move around close to infinity, but would actually focus well for distance shots. Manual focus was also really hard, just didn't want to move towards close focus at all, so I thought this was a major concern, expected to find an SDM failure.

I thought maybe I needed to convert to screw drive, so I pulled out my K5-II (with the damaged SD card slot) to see if I could use that to make the conversion. However the lens started to behave perfectly again. I swapped back to the K1-II and it's back to normal.

Posting this in case anyone else has a similar problem, as it's worth a try before taking more drastic measures.
Mine had the same exact issue. Didn't swap body though. Started working on its own after messing with it. Started happening every couple weeks after operating perfectly, always at the worst time. Finally had it converted. Hopefully for you not a sign of things to come.
05-24-2023, 03:44 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeprotts Quote

Ouch! Reminds me of my Pentax days! Odd issues with lenses and SD card readers!

My K5's SD card reader failed, and I had no insurance on it or warranty. Alas, the Swedish service center was unable to repair it, so I got a new one for free (no warranty, though)! The old one had been repaired once, while I had insurance, after a nasty fall with a 500mm lens attached! Lucky me, eh?! The lens was unharmed but the camera's lens mount was severely mashed up, and there was a lot of other minor damage, like the display.