Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2023, 10:10 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful information you gave me.

But how do i unscrew this adapter without damaging the camera lens? Sorry fior my ignorance, but wouldn't it be better for me to purchase, as mikeprotts mentionned it, a WR 50-200mm or 55-300mm wide lens ?

05-28-2023, 10:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

On the front of the actual lens attached to the camera, there is a threaded ring for attaching filters and adapters such as yours.

To remove the adapter from the camera lens, merely take hold of the front of the adapter (where the actual glass is) and rotate it gently anti-clockwise. This will enable it to unscrew, without damaging the camera lens in any way. There may be certain amount of resistance, but it will unscrew in the end. Place the adapter to one side, and try again with the actual camera lens (setting the camera to AF as suggested earlier).

The two lenses that you mention are telephoto zoom lenses (the figures indicating the nominal focal lengths for each one) - they are not wide angle lenses. The kit lens which is probably attached to your camera body may be 18-55mm focal length - in other words, moderate wide-angle to moderate telephoto.

HTH
05-28-2023, 10:33 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aeglil Quote
Thanks for all the helpful information you gave me.

But how do i unscrew this adapter without damaging the camera lens? Sorry fior my ignorance, but wouldn't it be better for me to purchase, as mikeprotts mentionned it, a WR 50-200mm or 55-300mm wide lens ?
The front part of the whole thing should unscrew from the rest. Turn it counter clockwise. Grab the front of the assembly and hold the camera still while turning. It should unscrew from the lens.

The video shows how to install and how to remove these kinds of lenses.
05-28-2023, 11:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Do you have a local camera shop that could help you ?

05-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, I was able to remove the adapter. But now, everything is blurry and I'm not even able to take a photo, may it be in MF or AF mode. And the elctronic flash is always on.

By the way, if I wish to take close-up shots of whales, wouldn't it better to invest in a better lens?

And no, unfortunately, no camera shop to be seen in the place where I'm staying, a small Norwegian village.
05-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I was able to remove the adapter. But now, everything is blurry and I'm not even able to take a photo, may it be in MF or AF mode. And the elctronic flash is always on.

By the way, if I wish to take close-up shots of whales, wouldn't it better to invest in a better lens?

And no, unfortunately, no camera shop to be seen in the place where I'm staying, a small Norwegian village.
Close up shots of whales might be easier with a bridge camera.

Can you share pictures of the lens and the part where the lens is labeled with the name. Also a few shots of what the controls are set on.
05-28-2023, 12:06 PM   #22
Forum Member

It took me a while to get used to using a DSLR having been more used to bridge cameras, but the results are worth the effort.

Check the lens is properly attached to the camera, it might have shifted a bit when removing the adapter. You should be able to manually focus when it's turned off, but you may also need to make use of the diopter adjustment (just above the viewfinder).

The camera is possibly set up to not take a photo unless in focus, and may have auto focus disabled from the settings. It usually is best to start with the 'green' settings that will give a good general result. Later you would probably want to change settings to those suited for wildlife, but initially getting used to the camera as you currently have it is the best idea.

For all the dials that have a green setting, turn them to that point. Then try to get a picture, maybe of a building or a boat. If that works, attach the picture here, and the data within the picture would probably give sufficient information for the next stage.

05-28-2023, 12:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Okay, I was able to remove the adapter. But now, everything is blurry and I'm not even able to take a photo, may it be in MF or AF mode.
What's the name of the lens underneath the adapter?
How do you know everything is blurry if you can't take a photo? The camera offers Diopter adjustment, maybe it is set to a unsuitable value?

Removing the auxiliary lens shouldn't have any impact on the camera functionality; maybe a slight movement of the lens (when removing the adapter) misaligned the contacts between lens and camera.
Remove the lens too, clean the contacts on the lens and the camera mount with a cloth and reattach the lens.

In the long run it will probably be better, but for now I suggest you start with the lens you have and thoroughly test the camera (no need to invest in lenses if you don't like the camera for any reason)

Last edited by othar; 05-28-2023 at 12:17 PM.
05-28-2023, 12:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the elctronic flash is always on.
There is a button to open the flash. When pressed the flash pops up and stays open until you push it back in (there should be a faint noise when it locks in position)
05-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Do you have a manual for this camera ? if so, you may find it helpful, giving you various options to try at your leisure.
05-28-2023, 01:11 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
There is a button to open the flash. When pressed the flash pops up and stays open until you push it back in (there should be a faint noise when it locks in position)
Is that true on the older *ist series? The k100d has a solenoid flash mechanism that can open and pop up by itself depending on the mode.
05-28-2023, 01:30 PM   #27
Forum Member

There seems to be a manual at https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/istdl.pdf

This states that the flash will discharge in manual mode if popped up with the button to the left of the viewfinder.

The 'green' settings are 'Auto Pict" on this camera.
05-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is that true on the older *ist series? The k100d has a solenoid flash mechanism that can open and pop up by itself depending on the mode.
I might be mistaken, it was an assumption based on the design of the K-3 and my analog SFXn camera, which are my only cameras with built-in flashes.
I assume the flash has to be pushed back into the closed position by hand regardless of the kind of opening mechanism used (the camera settings just have to be changed accordingly, to activate the locking mechanism, if there is no button to open the flash manually)
05-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He already got the manual for his Pentax (in French, as registered from/in France)
@othar: you are not wrong, and it doesn't matter if the Pentax has a solenoid for opening the pop-up-flash or different as with the K3, K5, K10D etc.

The problem here seems to me to be that @Aeglil is not used to a DSLR, nor a Pentax DSLR.
So a carefull study of the manual which he does have access to is what is needed.

The photos provided show that the camera and lens are alright but it is (as in most cases) the eye/head and the understanding/learning-curve behind the camera (@Aeglil: This is by no means against you... it is just how it is, we all had to learn it once).

Maybe if just used to AUTO by using a smartphone a DSLS, even if one with such a simple menu as the *ist-DL, can be overpowering.

So .... more patience and effort and it might work out and you start to love to handle a DSLR.
05-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have the manual (in English) and I will try to read it thoroughly but for now, I still haven't found the solution of my problem. Since I removed the adapter, all I see is blurry and I can't press the buttion to take photos. I can't adjust the diopter. I tried to remove the lens and to clean it but it didn't help at all.
Btw BOWER 52mm UV is the name of the lens.