Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2023, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aeglil Quote

Btw BOWER 52mm UV is the name of the lens.
Unfortunately, you have uncovered another layer of interference - the Bower 52mm UV is in fact a filter still attached to the front of the lens. You will have to unscrew that, in the same fashion as removing the adapter, but being narrow it may be harder to grip.

If you could take a photo or several of the lens and camera from different angles with your phone and post those, it would help us tremendously to ascertain exactly which lens you have and proffer more pertinent advice.

05-28-2023, 03:38 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
@othar: you are not wrong, and it doesn't matter if the Pentax has a solenoid for opening the pop-up-flash or different as with the K3, K5, K10D etc.
The reason it matters is that in some modes even if you close it the flash will pop back up and fire. That doesn’t happen on a k-3.
05-28-2023, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Unfortunately, you have uncovered another layer of interference - the Bower 52mm UV is in fact a filter still attached to the front of the lens. You will have to unscrew that, in the same fashion as removing the adapter, but being narrow it may be harder to grip.

If you could take a photo or several of the lens and camera from different angles with your phone and post those, it would help us tremendously to ascertain exactly which lens you have and proffer more pertinent advice.
I removed it too, and it seems my problem is solved. No more bluriness, and I can take photos. But there is no way I can take close-up photos with it. Thus, I think I will order a 55-300 mm lens if it can help me to zoom.
05-28-2023, 06:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I removed it too, and it seems my problem is solved. No more bluriness, and I can take photos. But there is no way I can take close-up photos with it. Thus, I think I will order a 55-300 mm lens if it can help me to zoom.
I'm glad to hear everything is working now.

When you decide to buy a new lens, be aware that you have a dated camera body and not all lenses are fully compatible (SDM, PLM or DC in the name of the lens will have limited or no compatibility with your *ist DL)

You can check compatibility with your camera here:
Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

05-29-2023, 12:04 AM   #35
Forum Member

Second hand lenses are usually best value, and may even have some warranty if from a shop. Should be able to find something good in Europe, I think that should avoid import duty shocks! There are 3 versions of the 55-300mm, you can't use the newest, and if you have a chance the weather resistant one is likely to be the best. The 50-200mm will not be as good for distant subjects, but would be a lot cheaper.

For now I suggest getting used to what you have, and start experimenting with large aperture as you're likely to need to take whale photos quicky in poor light. Large aperture let's in more light but restricts depth of field. Being able to just capture those shots quickly takes practice.
05-29-2023, 12:22 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
For now at least, I will try to get used to what I have and get the best of it.

I also found on eBay a HD Pentax-DA 55-300 mm F4-5,8 ED WR. Is it compatible with my old ist DL?
05-29-2023, 12:44 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I also found on eBay a HD Pentax-DA 55-300 mm F4-5,8 ED WR. Is it compatible with my old ist DL?
Glad the issue is sorted for now. If you do want to take close-ups, a dedicated Macro lens may be the way to go. You can check in the Lens Database for lenses with a minimum focussing distance, but most only give 1/4 life size image - this may be enough for your needs. AFAIK, many lenses do not give of their best when used for close-ups, even if they are described as 'Macro' lenses. A Macro lens will probably not be necessary for Whale photos, but the 55-300 may be what you need. If you are taking images from a boat, make sure the camera is well protected from the elements - salt water spray and cameras do not go well together !

05-29-2023, 02:37 AM   #38
Forum Member

That lens will work with your camera. If you ever decide to upgrade to a newer camera as well (e.g. to get weather sealed), that is still one of the best lenses to have.
05-29-2023, 05:19 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you do want to take close-ups, a dedicated Macro lens may be the way to go.
A Macro lens will probably not be necessary for Whale photos, but the 55-300 may be what you need. If you are taking images from a boat, make sure the camera is well protected from the elements - salt water spray and cameras do not go well together !
I think 'close-up' was meant in the sense of telephoto lens in this context and not macro photography.

Keeping the camera protected from the elements will be indeed key for durability.
05-29-2023, 07:54 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Yes. The HD coating on that lens helps tame flare a bit better as well. That’s a good choice to pair with what you have. It may still leave you frustrated as wildlife photography often is insatiable for longer lenses and more megapixels. The gear you have plus a good zoom that reaches 200-300mm is a good place to start. The 55-300 is my suggestion as it’s a good compromise of weight, size and reach. Later you may want to look at a k-5 or k-50 or even a k-3 to get more pixels to crop and still maintain enough detail. And the lens you’re talking about will work on all of these as well.
05-29-2023, 08:05 AM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you are taking images from a boat, make sure the camera is well protected from the elements - salt water spray and cameras do not go well together !
Yes, I already had some oxidation/corrosion problems in the past. I will take care of my camera.