Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2023, 08:30 PM - 8 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clackers' Beginners Tip 75: Shadows As A Subject

Good morning all, yesterday I ran into the guy who sold me my antique globe.

It's a small world.

Just last night, my son's football coach apologized for seeming distant, he said his wife left him. She claimed all he thought about was football and she'd had enough.

I asked how he was doing, and he said: "I'm upset. We were together for twelve seasons."

This week I want to talk not about subjects, but their shadows.

Why can't they be the real subject? Sure they can complement it, like reflections, but you can compose the shot to make sure they're the point of interest. You can even experiment with several shadows in the same scene that have some relationship with each other, perhaps overlapping.

The further away and smaller the light source, whether the sun or in a studio a well-placed strobe, the sharper and less diffuse the edges of the shadow will be.

If you've got any pictures where shadows are the real subject, I'd love to see them in the replies below.

To finish with, there's the story of the man in a snappy business suit who walks into a bar and sits down.

He starts dialling numbers like there's a telephone in his hand, then puts his palm up against his cheek and begins talking.

Suspicious, the bartender walks over and tells him that this is a very tough neighbourhood and he doesn't need any trouble.

The man says, 'You don't understand. I'm very hi-tech. I had a phone installed in my hand because I was tired of carrying my mobile.'

The bartender says, 'Prove it.'

The man dials up a number and holds his hand out to the bartender. The bartender talks into the hand and carries on a conversation.

'That's incredible!' admits the bartender. 'I would never have believed it!'

'Yeah,' says the man, 'I can keep in touch with my broker, my wife, you name it. By the way, where is the men's room?'

The bartender directs him.

The man goes in and 5, 10, 20 minutes go by and he doesn't return.

Fearing the worst, given the area, the bartender goes into the men's room to check on the man.

He is spread-eagled up against the wall. His pants are pulled down and he has a roll of toilet paper up his butt.

'Oh my God!' says the bartender. 'Did they rob you? Are you hurt?'

The man turns and says: "Oh, no, I'm ok. I'm just waiting to receive a fax."

Find the rest of the series here: Clackers' Beginners Tips (Collected) - PentaxForums.com

05-25-2023, 11:47 PM - 7 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you've got any pictures where shadows are the real subject, I'd love to see them in the replies below.

From earlier this year … Acupan 200 in my *ist
05-26-2023, 01:21 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
05-26-2023, 11:30 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High-noon.

Flight (levitation) is possible only when audio-dynamic lift forces overcome the dark-side, negative-attraction of shadow forces. Positive lift forces are generated by converting fuel (avgas or kerosene) into sufficient noise that the resulting velocity vector breaks the shadow-noise barrier; that event may be observed any time light appears between tires and a runway surface.

Flight at night relies on generating and storing sufficient audio-dynamic energy during daylight operations to replicate, and sustain, shadow separation. Potential inadequate energy capture is commonly noted by intermittent 'auto-rough' engine operation of one engine in black air and/or over large bodies of water. (Note: When BOTH occur simultaneously, auto-rough operation appears to continuously affect ALL operating engines.)

This is easily explained by replacing each appearance of the word aerodynamic(s) with audio-dynamic(s) in the classic text 'Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators'. Flight is dependent upon noise decibels which must exceed the weight of all paperwork involved in certifying the aircraft for each flight.

05-26-2023, 11:33 AM - 6 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Waiting For The Fish

05-26-2023, 01:02 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here you go.............

05-26-2023, 01:22 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

05-26-2023, 01:44 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a little disappointed that the group of 3 was not nicely separated from each other, but I'll take it as it is.

3, 2, 1 Shadows
05-26-2023, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I was a little disappointed that the group of 3 was not nicely separated from each other, but I'll take it as it is
Fabulous shot.
05-27-2023, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I was a little disappointed that the group of 3 was not nicely separated from each other, but I'll take it as it is.
Wow! No disappointment here
05-27-2023, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien:
...group of 3 was not nicely separated from each other, but I'll take it as it is.
Maybe think Fibonacci or geometric or...
06-03-2023, 07:38 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Me, myself and I in Mauricie Nat'l Park, QUEBEC

Picture of my shadow on the Wapizagonke Lake surface from the big wooden bridge.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo