Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-29-2023, 07:32 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Image Sync stopped working (no preview, no shutter)

Hi everyone, I'm having problems with Imagesync.

I have a K1 Mk II (Firmware 2.20). The app (version 2.1.16) connects to the camera and I can transfer files fine. But when I want to use remote shooting, the preview area is solid black. Touch AF forces the camera to refocus but does not move the AF spot. I can change settings and they are transferred to the camera fine. Green button also works. The shutter button, however, does nothing.

Drive mode is correct (single frame, no timer)

I tried a Pixel 4a5G, a Galaxy Tab S6 and a Samsung S22 FE, so it shouldn't be the mobile device's fault. Also, I remember using Imagesync without issues some time around two years ago, so it's possible an app or firmware update broke it.

Does anyone have similar problems? Even better, does anyone know a solution?

Thanks

05-29-2023, 11:59 AM   #2

DId it stop working after you updated to v2.20 of the firmware? If that's the case contact Ricoh so they know there is a problem and can fix it in the next release. You may be able to downgrade to an earlier version of firmware.

You may want to look into alternatives to Image Transmitter as well.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/367212-keep-ove...ml#post5551820
05-29-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m watching the thread. I only use it with my KP and I haven’t seen any problems, but I’m curious to hear how it’s been for those using the k-1ii.
05-29-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am using the K-1ii firmware 2.20 with image sync (version 2.1.15). Not sure about your version (version 2.1.16) since I don’t find it on the App Store. The combination I use works for live view and shutter release. Wish I could help you sort it out but I might suggest a reinstall of the app.

05-29-2023, 04:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
I am using the K-1ii firmware 2.20 with image sync (version 2.1.15). Not sure about your version (version 2.1.16) since I don’t find it on the App Store. The combination I use works for live view and shutter release. Wish I could help you sort it out but I might suggest a reinstall of the app.
2.1.16 is the current Android version, supposedly for bug fixing only. I suggest the OP downgrade to Android 2.1.15 and see if the problem persists.
05-30-2023, 04:13 AM   #6
rev

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

Firmware: I actually upgraded the K1 to 2.20 hoping that would fix the issue. It didn't. So it's not a problem introduced with 2.20.

App: I'll try to find an older version of the APK. I'll also try out Pentax Photo Sync.

---------- Post added 05-30-23 at 01:37 PM ----------

UPDATE: I kinda solved it. After nothing seemed to work (Pentax Photo Sync connects then goes to a black screen, no interface at all) I tried a desperation move and reset my camera. Lo and behold, Image Sync works again! I still have no idea what could have caused the problem. Currently back to setting up my K1 the way I like it.

Pentax Photo Sync still didn't work after the reset, BTW. Maybe my K1 is haunted.

Last edited by rev; 05-30-2023 at 04:37 AM.
03-21-2024, 06:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm having the same issue with my K1ii

I can connect to the camera and change controls through the Image Sync app I can not preview the image on my iPhone or fire the shutter. It was working fine several months ago.
After struggling with this issue for a few days I updated the camera's firmware to the latest version. That improved the situation to the point that I can now fire the shutter with the app but I still can't see what I'm shooting.

Don't know what else to do.

03-22-2024, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmarceau Quote
I can connect to the camera and change controls through the Image Sync app I can not preview the image on my iPhone or fire the shutter. It was working fine several months ago.
After struggling with this issue for a few days I updated the camera's firmware to the latest version. That improved the situation to the point that I can now fire the shutter with the app but I still can't see what I'm shooting.

Don't know what else to do.
It has been my experience that the camera has to be in single frame mode to see the screen. Also under Composition Adjust the setting has to be set to off. If Composition Adjust it turned on, Live View will not work in the Image Synch App.
04-07-2024, 09:50 AM   #9
rev

Original Poster
Just to resurrect this thread with more info for people struggling with the same problem, I also found that Release Priority in AF settings has to be set to Release Priority, otherwise the remote won't be able to release the shutter, no matter whether the subject is in focus or not.
04-07-2024, 05:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rev Quote
Just to resurrect this thread with more info for people struggling with the same problem, I also found that Release Priority in AF settings has to be set to Release Priority, otherwise the remote won't be able to release the shutter, no matter whether the subject is in focus or not.
On which camera ?