Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2023, 07:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my case the K-r drops the date every time the camera is powered off and then back on (without removing the battery). My friend's K-70 does the same. This is more problematic than only dropping the date when battery is changed. Anyone else experienced this?

05-31-2023, 11:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Would using the mains adapter (powered on) have the same effect as leaving a charged battery inserted ? I know this does not charge the battery.
05-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I tried that with my K3. It didn't help. I think once the internal battery is dead, it isn't going to zombie back to life.
There is indeed only a thin line between depleting it to almost 0% without damage and really 0% and killing it....but trying to revive it is worth trying.

---------- Post added 31-05-23 at 12:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Would using the mains adapter (powered on) have the same effect as leaving a charged battery inserted ? I know this does not charge the battery.
I suppose it is ...
05-31-2023, 01:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is for sure the C-MOS battery (also called backup battery).
The problem here: It is much more complicated to replace or even get close to it than with the K-30 which
I showed HERE
The battery is located on the backside of the mainboard, so this has to be unsoldered completly to get at it. Just to unsolder it partly is not enough, you have to be able to turn the mainboard around.
Reviving the C-MOS isn't working with the K3 when it is depleted.
One has to accept facts or take on quite a demanding DIY lesson.
Having it repaired is about as expensive as buying a 2-nd hand K3!

05-31-2023, 01:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
What would the benefit of doing this?
You can't revive the C-MOS with the mains-adapter. Even if you change the "Power-Off" to not power off anymore and leave the K3 (or K5-Series) on the mains-adapter overnight, it won't revive the C-MOS!
05-31-2023, 01:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
You can't revive the C-MOS with the mains-adapter. Even if you change the "Power-Off" to not power off anymore and leave the K3 (or K5-Series) on the mains-adapter overnight, it won't revive the C-MOS!
I can confirm this … I tried it with my K-01!