Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2023, 08:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a clue what I am looking at here

Decided to turn on the LV grid on borrowed K-1 II, and saw some lines that confused me. I also of course use the OVF and see lines in there.

I did read the manual and these lines (I think) are related to AF frame, but they don't change even if I decide to use spot focus.

What am I seeing? Yes I know total newbie q: but I did try to google it before asking.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
IPhone 12 Pro Max  Photo 
06-06-2023, 09:05 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They tell you where the af points are. Not the ones selected but the whole range of them.
06-06-2023, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They tell you where the af points are. Not the ones selected but the whole range of them.
OK, so a general guideline of "keep your stuff in here" I guess?
06-06-2023, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
Yes. If you look on page 52 of the K-1 ebook (available through the Pentax Forums) you'll see a depiction of where the individual AF points are, and why the guidelines are there. The inner "corners" show the 25 cross type sensor area and the corners farther out show the area covered by the additional 8 sensors.

Not sure about the four corners in the live view. May be also area of focus points.

---------- Post added 06-07-23 at 12:06 AM ----------

OK, on the second picture you posted (the live view), I just confirmed with my own K-1 Mark II. Those four corners are the AF region, in this case the 7 x 5 = 35 contrast detection AF points are inside that rectangle.

Attached Images

06-07-2023, 05:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
If you look on page 52 of the K-1 ebook (available through the Pentax Forums)
Excellent source, but i hadn't bought it (yet) since this K-1 II is a loaner. This makes me determined to buy it if I ever get my Viridian... since the official manual does not explain well.

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Not sure about the four corners in the live view. May be also area of focus points.
Yes, as you had found, but I had found it odd that a view that is dynamic (choice of 6 grids, changing meters/info) has permanent corner markers that are not indicative of WHAT the AF point is at the moment, but now that I have dug further this makes sense: Even if using single point focus, and that single point can be moved by the photographer, Pentax is saying "this is as far as you can go with that dot"
Attached Images

06-07-2023, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent source, but i hadn't bought it (yet) since this K-1 II is a loaner. This makes me determined to buy it if I ever get my Viridian... since the official manual does not explain well.

Yes, as you had found, but I had found it odd that a view that is dynamic (choice of 6 grids, changing meters/info) has permanent corner markers that are not indicative of WHAT the AF point is at the moment, but now that I have dug further this makes sense: Even if using single point focus, and that single point can be moved by the photographer, Pentax is saying "this is as far as you can go with that dot"
The guidelines help you to anticipate how effectively you may be able to focus. In both views (through the viewfinder, and the live view), the focus point chosen by the camera is highlighted briefly when you half press the shutter. It is always within those guideline corners. I found that if I intentionally framed the image such that an attractive focus point (such as a sharp defined line on the subject) was positioned just outside the corners, then I often got the lens to hunt for focus and maybe not achieve a focus. When I reframed to put that high contrast point within the corners, I often got a quick focus on that point. So, if you are having some issues getting a certain image to focus, you can reframe using the guide corners to help it out. I often just use center point focus, so I put the center on what I want sharp, half press, then reframe and shoot, so I don't worry about the guide corners very often. This is the way I learned focusing over 50 years ago with my Spotmatic (center microprism), and it is still the most comfortable for me.

I definitely recommend the ebook. I think you can get it free if you contribute to the forum as a supporter - at least it was that way when I started annual support.

Good luck with the K-1-II, if you decide to get one! It is an excellent camera. - Richard.