Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2023, 12:30 AM   #1

The pentax 645 FA* 300/4 issue

Hi, I just brought a used FA* 300/4 and on my 645D, it won't focus, when it turns on auto focus, it just keep turning. Is it some setups I need to do on the camera? or maybe the lens is broken? only used some mf lens before. thanks a lot!

06-09-2023, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ethan8331 Quote
Hi, I just brought a used FA* 300/4 and on my 645D, it won't focus, when it turns on auto focus, it just keep turning. Is it some setups I need to do on the camera? or maybe the lens is broken? only used some mf lens before. thanks a lot!
I believe you have to push/pull the focus ring to engage/disengage AF on this lens. Have you tried performing this a number of times ?
06-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I believe you have to push/pull the focus ring to engage/disengage AF on this lens. Have you tried performing this a number of times ?
hi,thanks for the reply, I tried a couple of times but no luck. right now I think maybe I should update the firmware, right now mine is 1.00, I hope I can still download the 1.33 and hope that will fix it,thanks =)
06-10-2023, 06:13 PM   #4

Hi, you have to put the camera and the lens to AF.
Is "AUTO FOCUS" above the distance scale of the lens visible?

06-10-2023, 06:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, there is something wrong with your lens. I have my own 645 FA*300 sitting beside me as I type.

In MF mode, there is a hard stop at infinity and minimum focal distance.
In AF mode, I can not rotate the focussing ring at all.

It's a *really* good lens though. Worth getting repaired if that's an option for you
06-11-2023, 12:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wickie Quote
Hi, you have to put the camera and the lens to AF.
Is "AUTO FOCUS" above the distance scale of the lens visible?
yeah, I tried that, still not working , I think I need to repair it, thanks for the reply and have a good day!

---------- Post added 06-11-23 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Unfortunately, there is something wrong with your lens. I have my own 645 FA*300 sitting beside me as I type.

In MF mode, there is a hard stop at infinity and minimum focal distance.
In AF mode, I can not rotate the focussing ring at all.

It's a *really* good lens though. Worth getting repaired if that's an option for you
looks like it, anyway, I will put it in repair, thanks!