Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2023, 10:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Live View issues

I just purchased a Takumar 135mm F/2.5 and live view works on my K1-ii but not on my K3-iii. Any suggestions?

Last edited by pschlute; 06-11-2023 at 12:13 AM.
06-10-2023, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggest edit title for spelling - Line vs Live: confusing to viewers.

Have you set Aperture Ring enabled to On on the K3 iii?
06-11-2023, 12:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I
QuoteOriginally posted by Cadre6655 Quote
Any suggestions?
If it is the bayonet Takumar 135/2.5, make sure the camera is set to allow aperture ring as advised above, and that the aperture ring is set to the A position.

ps....I edited the title for you
06-11-2023, 02:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you experience that with the Takumar Live View in K-1 II works, but not with the K-3 III, then something must be wrong with the K-3. Because whatever the settings, Live View works at all time. If you cannot take a picture it might be one of the settings to work with a manual lens. But then you should encounter the same problem when using the viewfinder. But the things are a bit complicated because you do not tell us exactly what is happening and when it is happening. As it is now I conclude that your K3- Mark III has a problem and needs servicing....

06-11-2023, 06:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Before shipping it off, try a factory reset of the K-3 III. It is free to try.
06-12-2023, 09:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I

If it is the bayonet Takumar 135/2.5, make sure the camera is set to allow aperture ring as advised above, and that the aperture ring is set to the A position.

ps....I edited the title for you
Thank you for your response. Yes it is the bayonet 135/2.5 however it does not have an A on the aptitude ring and my setting is using aperture ring ON. Do you have further advice? It will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

---------- Post added 06-12-23 at 09:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If you experience that with the Takumar Live View in K-1 II works, but not with the K-3 III, then something must be wrong with the K-3. Because whatever the settings, Live View works at all time. If you cannot take a picture it might be one of the settings to work with a manual lens. But then you should encounter the same problem when using the viewfinder. But the things are a bit complicated because you do not tell us exactly what is happening and when it is happening. As it is now I conclude that your K3- Mark III has a problem and needs servicing....
Thank you for this information. I can take a picture in live view with the k-3 however the live view screen is almost completely dark and just has a very very dim view even with the iSO increased to 52,000. I took a picture with the view finder 1/250, f2.8, ISO 100 and then switched to live view and took the same shot. Both came out the same quality. Just no view on the screen in live view mode. I guess I have to send it in for service. Also my lens is the bayonet model and has no A on the aperture ring. My camera is set to ON in the aperture menu setting

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Suggest edit title for spelling - Line vs Live: confusing to viewers.

Have you set Aperture Ring enabled to On on the K3 iii?
Yes it is on.
06-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Just check the following links re that lens before shipping
Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
and this tutorial
Using Manual Lenses on the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

06-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for your response. Yes it is the bayonet 135/2.5 however it does not have an A on the aptitude ring and my setting is using aperture ring ON. Do you have further advice? It will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for this information. I can take a picture in live view with the k-3 however the live view screen is almost completely dark

Yes it is on.
If the lens is not automatic, and the live view screen is very dark, perhaps you already have the aperture shut way down to F22 or F32??
06-13-2023, 01:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes it is the bayonet 135/2.5 however it does not have an A on the aptitude ring and my setting is using aperture ring ON
Thanks for the clarification, I suggest you try some of the suggestions posted above before returning the camera.

The K3 III has automatic stop-down metering in Av mode for manual lenses. Try that.